What's Spinning

2903F63E-BD73-48B6-8191-040D6F83F960.jpeg

Starting to make my way through my BN80 arrivals. I think the Tone Poet releases are other worldly good and have pride of place at the moment but this is utterly beautiful. It’s so so tuneful and playful, even when it’s trying to be more serious and subtle. It also sings through the room.

It’s almost impossible not to snap up every Blue Note release there is. They are producing incredible quality right now.

I'm not spinning anything, but I am checking out the Radiohead OK Computer sessions that leaked. Someone managed to get them all up on archive.

I wish I knew how to cut and paste tracks so I could make my own mix of it.

Over 17 hours of stuff. Track 15 (collection 15) has a version of the song "Lift" that all the hardcore fans are describing as the definitive version. The one that folks way back in the day got to hear. It might have possibly been Radiohead's defining song if they did it correctly.

I personally like the version they included on the OKNOTOK release.

Anyway if you are interested here's the link.

If the mods here are against this I can delete it.

Lloyd McNeill - Treasures (Soul Jazz Records, SJR LP427, UK, 2019 reissue)

View attachment 5200

Rapidly shaping up to be the best 44 minutes of my day and today has been far from a bad one.
So I streamed this at work today and it's fantastic. I was going to head over to Soho to pick it up but knew I would end up spending more than I needed to. Thoroughly regret not going now.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet featuring Gerry Mulligan - The Last Set at Newport (Atlantic, 1972)

A 50p carboot find. Fun anecdote, before Brubeck took to the stage Bill Chase and his rock/jazz group finished their set, which had the crowd cheering and on their feet. Brubeck was so nervous that he wouldn't be able to match the energy he ended up asking for the volume to be turned up on the speakers. The sound guy rejected his request as they were already all set up and Brubeck went on anyway (to perform the great set recorded on this album).

Back