What's Spinning

Charlie Parker Quintet / Dizzy Gillespie Quintet - Volume 25 (Curcio, 1981 Blue Box Set)

This is the last record in the Curcio 'Blue Box' set and its a good one! The first 3-tracks were recorded by the Charlie Parker Quintet live in 1949 and sees the musician just a few years out of the Camarillo State Mental Hospital (where he spent 6-months from problems spurred by his drug-habit). The first 2 tracks feature Kenny Dorham on trumpet, while the final track sees him replaced with a young Miles Davis. The second set of recordings are provided by Dizzy Gillespie from sessions recorded in 1953 and 1960 (as the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band and Dizzy Gillespie Quintet). These are also good, but its the Charlie Parker recordings which are the juiciest!

IMG_6882.JPG

This record is frustrating to get an OG of because the repress is exactly the same in barcode and everything. So a lot of sellers on Discogs think they have an OG because they don't know the difference or can't be bothered to check and just assumes it's OG. Really lame of Stones Throw for not making any changes to the cover to tell them apart. Rant over. Awesome album!

Moses Sumney - græ

Bought from bandcamp, and I think it is the same one from secretly store. The whole package is stunning.

IMG_20200512_181053.jpg

IMG_20200512_181147.jpg

It includes a lyrics booklet, poetry booklet, and a piece of art that looks like an x-ray film.

IMG_20200512_181358.jpg

And when you line it up with one of the pages in the poetry booklet, it reveals a poem!

IMG_20200512_181433.jpg

Very cool.

Is this an essentials pick? I’m not one to necessarily question what any club decides to curate but was there an actual reason behind this one? At least A Night at the Opera wasn’t a bargain bin record.

Not an indictment on the album at all, it’s awesome. Just wondering what angle VMP had on “the story” here as well as what makes this pressing unique beyond the fauxbi and, it’s hard to tell from your pic, but I assume color

It’s difficult. I adore Stevie and I love this album but I can also see kinda where you are coming from.

If the motivation was to highlight Stevie outside of the shadow of Lyndsey Buckingham and to show just how she had the best solo career out of that era FM and just how much of a badass a rockstar she was then it’s a great essentials pick. I think it was so shitty, but not surprising, that they let that slip about Tusk, such bad form.

As the above clearly wasn’t their motivation then yeah the 2016 pressing is exceptional and rhino did a nice press of it on gold earlier in the year. It’s 20. Makes VMPs edition look a bit rich.

Last edited:
Moses Sumney - græ

Bought from bandcamp, and I think it is the same one from secretly store. The whole package is stunning.

View attachment 46533

View attachment 46534

It includes a lyrics booklet, poetry booklet, and a piece of art that looks like an x-ray film.

View attachment 46536

And when you line it up with one of the pages in the poetry booklet, it reveals a poem!

View attachment 46537

Very cool.

Oh man am I jealous! I have this one ordered too but I’m expecting to take a very long time to make its way over the Atlantic!

Back