Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Hey All - I'm Tim. I thought I would properly say hello. Been reading a lot, and posting a little in the past weeks since @HayesWeighsIn told me about the forum. Seems like a fine collection of people jawing about things I enjoy.

I grew up western NY, shuffled around the N.E. US a bunch in my late teens, early 20s, spent a few years in Ontario, finally ended up in NYC for nearly a decade before moving with a wife and child to Los Angeles area. I work on the picture side of post production so I’m sorta stuck with the ‘big’ cities for now.

I inherited an old Pioneer PL512 from my uncle somewhere in my early 20s and started buying records, mainly indie rock and electronic stuff. I spent one semester at University of New Hampshire and I think that’s when I REALLY fell in love with vinyl, and began really expanding my musical tastes. Did very little in those months except hang out at the radio station and learn about bands as I randomly grabbed records from their HUGE collection to put on air.

I’ve had a modest collection that has grown and shrunk over the years but scaled all the way down to 4(ish) cubes before moving out west. That has already started expanding again rapidly in the past few years of course.

Now that I’m properly moving into middle age, feels like the perfect time to start getting more serious about sound and my setup while at the same time start feeling very bad about the abuse I put on my old records and that poor ol’ Pioneer.

Anyways, Hi!

I am Tom. I live in Boston, Mass., USA. I've been into music in a rather intense way since childhood in the UK starting in the Pan's People era of ToTP. Early influences included Giorgio Moroder, Sparks, Bowie (don't miss these wonderful ToTP clips on the youtube).

I've been an amateur musician on and off playing guitar, electronics and for a short while a synth without keyboard. Formed the band Blood Money around that synth, and make a solo guitar album. After 10 years off I started playing again. This year I made a couple of recordings of mockups of compositions for a band that I was planning to form before pandemic.

For nearly 10 years I was a volunteer community DJ at WZBC Boston College Radio. I created Spinitron and me and my SO now make our living from running it as a service.

I don't actively collect vinyl any more but I have my old collection. I have hi-res photos of the spines somewhere. We have a recently renovated Dual CS 5000 to play them on. I don't think vinyl sounds better than digital (except in the odd case where the LP was mastered better than the CD) but I militantly defend LPs over CDs. I mostly play music using BubbleUpnp Android app, a couple of Raspberry Pis, and a Topping D50s DAC. But it's still nice to pull out an LP from time to time. I hope that's ok with y'all.

Update: Hi-res photos of 12" spines.
Do you know if the radio station WJIB Radio 740 still exists - I was in Boston about ten years ago, and that station was tuned in on the radio at the Airbnb we were staying in, and we never touched the dial. Super random playlist, but it somehow worked.

Hello all! New to the site and clearly an amateur next to some of the amazing setups and collections I'm seeing so far. Was pointed here by @Sonicpharmacist so if you need someone to blame I'd look that direction. ;)

A few nuggets about me:
  • My first vinyl was the Star Wars original soundtrack when I was 8, followed 45's of "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys and "Music Box Dancer" by Frank Mills when I was 11 years old. I assume they are still floating around somewhere at my parents house in Spokane.
  • With a few exceptions those were also my last vinyls until I was in my 40's, preferring to invest heavily in cassettes (no skipping!) then CD's (no hiss!) then MP3's (no cost!)
  • Started buying vinyls again a few years back because I missed the experience of going through records stores and flipping through the used section looking for buried treasures. Also, I got it in my head that I wanted to "recreate the record collection I wished I'd had in my youth."
  • Now I'm walking the precarious line of spending all of my time reading about and shopping for new records while trying very hard to be disciplined and keep my collection within the 8-cube Kallax (up from 4 cubes a year ago) as a subjective and ultimately fruitless constraint so as not to cripple my wallet, square footage and marriage.
Pleasure to meet y'all!
My first vinyl was the soundtrack to the 1982 version of Annie when I was about 4. It's scratched to hell now.
I started buying again when I inherited my grandmother's records at 18, but I didn't really start adding to my collection until about 5 years ago.
Welcome!

Hey all! The name is Graham, ginger dude from Houston. Was fairly active on the old VMP forum (@taylorgc1992), but fell off a bit when that forum was closed. Trying to get back into actively following these threads and getting back in the "know."

Born/raised in Houston, went to college in Houston, went to law school in Houston, and still live in Houston. Well aware I am essentially a swamp dwelling creature at this point. I practice eminent domain law and represent property owners when their property is being taken.

I got into vinyl at a young age and the collection is ever growing (Check out taylorgc1992's music collection on Discogs) albeit at varying speeds. Sometimes it grows quickly and other times, the growth is a bit slower. Right now I'm trying to grow my early 2000s collection (mostly emo/punk style stuff that I grew up with). Historically, I've mostly been into post-punk, folk, country, and things along those lines. The only genre I tend to avoid is jazz. While I've been off/on with VMP, Magnolia has been my primary subscription over the last couple years.

Happy to be back. Currently running two separate audio systems. The one hooked up at my apartment is simply an Audio-Technica LP120 with some Klipsch speakers and a Sony receiver. My office is set up with my Garrard turntable, Fisher receiver, and Klipsch speakers (yes, I found speakers I liked and now have brand loyalty).

Graham

Hey all! The name is Graham, ginger dude from Houston. Was fairly active on the old VMP forum (@taylorgc1992), but fell off a bit when that forum was closed. Trying to get back into actively following these threads and getting back in the "know."

Born/raised in Houston, went to college in Houston, went to law school in Houston, and still live in Houston. Well aware I am essentially a swamp dwelling creature at this point. I practice eminent domain law and represent property owners when their property is being taken.

I got into vinyl at a young age and the collection is ever growing (Check out taylorgc1992's music collection on Discogs) albeit at varying speeds. Sometimes it grows quickly and other times, the growth is a bit slower. Right now I'm trying to grow my early 2000s collection (mostly emo/punk style stuff that I grew up with). Historically, I've mostly been into post-punk, folk, country, and things along those lines. The only genre I tend to avoid is jazz. While I've been off/on with VMP, Magnolia has been my primary subscription over the last couple years.

Happy to be back. Currently running two separate audio systems. The one hooked up at my apartment is simply an Audio-Technica LP120 with some Klipsch speakers and a Sony receiver. My office is set up with my Garrard turntable, Fisher receiver, and Klipsch speakers (yes, I found speakers I liked and now have brand loyalty).

Graham
Only one Houston lawyer allowed on the new forum, sorry brah

Graham
Hello, from one swamp dwelling creature to another.

Graham
Welcome back to the new and improved dysfunctional family ;)

Graham
Hello fellow swamp creature! I work in one of the district civil courts here so I may have spoken to you via email or phone before.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello fellow swamp creature! I work in one of the district civil courts here so I may have spoken to you via email or phone before.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello! The odds are decent, though I mostly find myself in the County Courts at Law (since most Eminent Domain cases are filed there). I have handled some AAL cases for my boss in the district courts from time to time though.

Hello all! New to the site and clearly an amateur next to some of the amazing setups and collections I'm seeing so far. Was pointed here by @Sonicpharmacist so if you need someone to blame I'd look that direction. ;)

A few nuggets about me:
  • My first vinyl was the Star Wars original soundtrack when I was 8, followed 45's of "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys and "Music Box Dancer" by Frank Mills when I was 11 years old. I assume they are still floating around somewhere at my parents house in Spokane.
  • With a few exceptions those were also my last vinyls until I was in my 40's, preferring to invest heavily in cassettes (no skipping!) then CD's (no hiss!) then MP3's (no cost!)
  • Started buying vinyls again a few years back because I missed the experience of going through records stores and flipping through the used section looking for buried treasures. Also, I got it in my head that I wanted to "recreate the record collection I wished I'd had in my youth."
  • Now I'm walking the precarious line of spending all of my time reading about and shopping for new records while trying very hard to be disciplined and keep my collection within the 8-cube Kallax (up from 4 cubes a year ago) as a subjective and ultimately fruitless constraint so as not to cripple my wallet, square footage and marriage.
Pleasure to meet y'all!
Welcome ..I reckon you’ll be up to 16 cubes soon enough

Hey everybody! Old member checking back in after a couple years... Couldn't log in to my old user account so I just started a new one (I wasn't super active on the old one so no harm no foul).

I see a few familiar names from the old VMP forum days are still active so I look forward to reconnecting with old friends and making some new ones, that is, unless that pesky social anxiety kicks back in and I scurry back into the protective cacoon of solitude.

Hi Everyone, brand new member here, been lurking for a couple of days after finding this place looking into the HumminGuru record cleaner, from the UK so will introduce myself on the UK section as well
gear listed below
untweaked Technics SL-1200MK5 with AT120E / AT150Sa & Funk Firm Achromat SL1200
modified Yaqin ms 12b with JJ Tesla ECC82 & Sovtek 12AX7LPS Tubes pre amp
Copland integrated amp CSA-8
kef reference 2

all a bit vintage now but upgrading is so expensive and I would rather spend it on records

digital side
Copland CD player CDA 266, Topping D90 DAC

Hi Everyone, brand new member here, been lurking for a couple of days after finding this place looking into the HumminGuru record cleaner, from the UK so will introduce myself on the UK section as well
gear listed below
kef reference 2

all a bit vintage now but upgrading is so expensive and I would rather spend it on records

digital side
Welcome :)

gear listed below
kef reference 2

digital side
Be sure to share your system and pics in the hardware forums, enjoy!

Back