Vinyl Storage Recommendation

MikeH

Hi all--I feel like I saw a thread about this but couldn't seem to find it...I know everybody recommends the Kallax as record storage but I was wondering about other options? Has anyone here gone with a custom cabinet? I have been using Mapleshade shelves for the past 4 or 5 years but they are just expensive at this point any time I need to add more storage (which is more and more frequently).

Ideally, I'm either looking for something modular like Mapleshade's units are, or a cabinet that has both storage for records and a place I can put my amp + record player on top of. Anybody have some recommendations? Thanks!

Hi all--I feel like I saw a thread about this but couldn't seem to find it...I know everybody recommends the Kallax as record storage but I was wondering about other options? Has anyone here gone with a custom cabinet? I have been using Mapleshade shelves for the past 4 or 5 years but they are just expensive at this point any time I need to add more storage (which is more and more frequently).

Ideally, I'm either looking for something modular like Mapleshade's units are, or a cabinet that has both storage for records and a place I can put my amp + record player on top of. Anybody have some recommendations? Thanks!

Someone, maybe @Mather?, ordered from these guys. I like the look of the one that’s like a 2x4 on its side with the extra slots for gear on top. Expensive but also proper wood.

Someone, maybe @Mather?, ordered from these guys. I like the look of the one that’s like a 2x4 on its side with the extra slots for gear on top. Expensive but also proper wood.

Thanks! I've also been eying the Symbol Audio cabinets but they are really pricey as well. I do really like the idea of this one though as it has a flipbin on top, plus more storage underneath:

Thanks! I've also been eying the Symbol Audio cabinets but they are really pricey as well. I do really like the idea of this one though as it has a flipbin on top, plus more storage underneath:

They are really nice. Love the mix of wood and white on one of the pictures!

Yup, I ordered from them. Solid wood, weighs a tonne but somehow shipping was next to nothing from the UK. I think I paid 90 shipping and zero duty. Makes no sense but it's an awesome piece. Lots of different colors and design options. They're really easy to work with I just emailed them and talked directly to one of the owners.20190226_000213.jpg

Yup, I ordered from them. Solid wood, weighs a tonne but somehow shipping was next to nothing from the UK. I think I paid 90 shipping and zero duty. Makes no sense but it's an awesome piece. Lots of different colors and design options. They're really easy to work with I just emailed them and talked directly to one of the owners.View attachment 29465

I remember that now! I’ve had their page bookmarked ever since for any future living room redesign purposes!

DIY is always an option, a little thought and ingenuity you could come up with something to meet your needs to a tee. I consider mine "simplistic", but you get my point ;)
20191129_113140-jpg.24471

DIY is always an option, a little thought and ingenuity you could come up with something to meet your needs to a tee. I consider mine "simplistic", but you get my point ;)
20191129_113140-jpg.24471
Ah interesting. Hadn’t considered that...

I went for the Eket range instead of Kallax and happy with those.

Pros :
- Different colors;
- Available in 1*1 (w optional door) and 4*4;
- Can add foot / legs / plinth (they've a wood version that gives a nicer look than having them on the floor imo);
- Back panel so you can push the LPs w/o having them to going too far, or being misaligned (a big plus if you have OCD like I do!);
- Exists as a 25cm depth version that you can use crate-digger style if you flip and put it on top of the others (haven't tried, as I already had a Zomo box - Zomo VS-Box 100/1)

Cons :
- A bit smaller than Kallax so large box sets do not fit (I've kept a separate Kallax for those);
- Maybe a bit less sturdy too, so it might not be best if you have very heavy equipment (but no issue with about 10kg on top of a 4*4 yet);
- A bit more expensive than Kallax too, but that's still affordable IKEA furniture.

I'll add pictures in the morning to give you an idea.

IMG_20200117_103030.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I was also tempted for a while to order a Junddo home made vinyl furniture w/ custom size. Heavy, solid wood, nice looking, but the price is much higher, so I went to the IKEA option instead (apples and oranges I know), and probably spent the difference in equipment / records.

Unfortunately, it looks like they're not continuing it, as the page that says new orders are in stand-by have been online for more than a year now.

Yeah id need a good alternative to a Kallax since no IKEA in my area and shipping is too expensive (IT COSTS MORE THAN THE ACTUAL SHELF)...

I'm currently using fairly cheap book/mediashelfs that are the right size I got from target, but I wonder if i could really add another one to the top or so without breaking it

Last edited:
Yeah id need a good alternative to a Kallax since no IKEA in my area and shipping is too expensive...

I'm currently using fairly cheap book/mediashelfs that are the right size I got from target, but I wonder if i could really add another one to the top or so without breaking it
If you are worried about it breaking, I would definitely not even attempt it.

If you are worried about it breaking, I would definitely not even attempt it.
i dont even know if it would.. they are sturdy to hold up a shelf full of LPs with not even anything close to breaking and it seems the building of them is very close to a kallax...

im pretty sure these are them

i just am nervous about stacking way more than the 50 or so records i can put on them since there what scott the woz would call "cheap media shelves"

what are some good alternatives for less shipping

Last edited:
Seeing what people are charging (and paying) for what amounts to maybe $30 in wood and stain makes me think I could start a profitable side hustle making these very simple furniture pieces!
Will it cause splinters though?

If it cheap and doesn't splint awhile giving more stability.. I'll buy

Thought this belongs here.

We recently bought a new house and I fulfilled a *weird dream of mine to have (hopefully) unlimited record storage that made a statement and also acted as an art piece. I build these shelves over a 3 week period using 3/4” maple veneer plywood and beveled sides. The brackets on the underside of each shelf acts are more lateral support for the records so the sides don't see much load. There’s about 425 records shown here. All in all, I probably spent about $500 on this project but couldn’t be happier.

I’ve built other storage systems and every time I do, it’s gratifying. I encourage anyone out there that has a vision for storage to do it! You’ll be happy and proud for years to come.

*not weird at all, just badass.

Attachments

• 16FA3443-2D08-4802-B2C5-A830727BA4FC.jpeg
    16FA3443-2D08-4802-B2C5-A830727BA4FC.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 124
  • 8A222FA6-FB74-4A90-87F4-51B269CE2A4D.jpeg
    8A222FA6-FB74-4A90-87F4-51B269CE2A4D.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 123
Seeing what people are charging (and paying) for what amounts to maybe $30 in wood and stain makes me think I could start a profitable side hustle making these very simple furniture pieces!
Us big city folk don't have the luxury of having a workshop space! My dad just retired though and is pretty crafty so I might work up some plans for a custom shelf and see if he can build it

legit why is ikea so overpriced with its shipping

100 bucks to ship

i just want better record storage

Back