Vinyl Storage Recommendation

legit why is ikea so overpriced with its shipping

100 bucks to ship

i just want better record storage
Which size are you trying to buy? The ones at target /Walmart are pretty much the same and might be cheaper shipped...

Which size are you trying to buy? The ones at target /Walmart are pretty much the same and might be cheaper shipped...
3X3 or 3X4

I already have 2 shelves I have as a 3X2 shelve l shelf but I am nervous they are too cheap and could be flimsy

3X3 or 3X4

I already have 2 shelves I have as a 3X2 shelve l shelf but I am nervous they are too cheap and could be flimsy

The ikea ones aren’t solid wood either, they’re particle board covered in a vinyl veneer too, they get more solid when they are full up and the weight puts them into compression. I’ve seen them stacked on top of one another but I doubt that I would do it myself tbh.

The ikea ones aren’t solid wood either, they’re particle board covered in a vinyl veneer too, they get more solid when they are full up and the weight puts them into compression. I’ve seen them stacked on top of one another but I doubt that I would do it myself tbh.
I didn't say they were made of wood

Just that they seem too cheap and if I add more shelves they could break

I have gone vintage so far, took patience and always having a measuring tape handy to pick up pieces I wanted on the cheap. solid construction and cool, clean details sold me. I picked my main piece because it has doors, and in my current itty-bitty apartment with a curious cat, that was the move. I can upload a photo later if people are curious.

you can also search CL/ebay for things like console, cabinet, buffet, or credenza if you don't have a good shop(s) near you. I've had luck doing searches for misspelled words to get crazy deals, like "teek cabinet" for an incredible Danish teak wardrobe.

in a different place, I'll most likely look to do some sorta of MCM modular wall unit, since I like the look and can make them suit the space/collection.

OR maybe I'll just build one when that time comes, because this is so wonderful!
Thought this belongs here.

We recently bought a new house and I fulfilled a *weird dream of mine to have (hopefully) unlimited record storage that made a statement and also acted as an art piece. I build these shelves over a 3 week period using 3/4” maple veneer plywood and beveled sides. The brackets on the underside of each shelf acts are more lateral support for the records so the sides don't see much load. There’s about 425 records shown here. All in all, I probably spent about $500 on this project but couldn’t be happier.

I’ve built other storage systems and every time I do, it’s gratifying. I encourage anyone out there that has a vision for storage to do it! You’ll be happy and proud for years to come.

*not weird at all, just badass.

Thought this belongs here.

We recently bought a new house and I fulfilled a *weird dream of mine to have (hopefully) unlimited record storage that made a statement and also acted as an art piece. I build these shelves over a 3 week period using 3/4” maple veneer plywood and beveled sides. The brackets on the underside of each shelf acts are more lateral support for the records so the sides don't see much load. There’s about 425 records shown here. All in all, I probably spent about $500 on this project but couldn’t be happier.

I’ve built other storage systems and every time I do, it’s gratifying. I encourage anyone out there that has a vision for storage to do it! You’ll be happy and proud for years to come.

*not weird at all, just badass.

If you ever make it to the top shelf your gonna need one of those library ladders on wheels !

I would have a question about Kallax. Since I'm also running out of storage space for my beloved records, I was thinking of getting a 2x2 Kallax shelf. However, this shelf would be in direct sunlight for about 2 hours every day, and of course I wanna protect my records as good as possible. So I was thinking of adding the door inserts to the Kallax shelf, which are also available at Ikea.
Do any of you guys use those as well? Would the records still fit in there?

I would have a question about Kallax. Since I'm also running out of storage space for my beloved records, I was thinking of getting a 2x2 Kallax shelf. However, this shelf would be in direct sunlight for about 2 hours every day, and of course I wanna protect my records as good as possible. So I was thinking of adding the door inserts to the Kallax shelf, which are also available at Ikea.
Do any of you guys use those as well? Would the records still fit in there?

Absolutely, the depth is more than enough. You'll have to be careful not to bump the records into the door screws into the panel while getting the record out, but that's pretty much it.

Absolutely, the depth is more than enough. You'll have to be careful not to bump the records into the door screws into the panel while getting the record out, but that's pretty much it.
👍 Alright, thanks a lot. Then I'll head out to the next Ikea on the upcoming weekend...

I ended up creating some plans for a custom cabinet and my pops is helping me build it. He retired recently so luckily he's down to help! Other non-Ikea cabinets I found are just SO expensive and I did quite a lot of research on them...

boy, if you have the time and the tools and the skill, that is the way to go.

We’ll see how it turns out! Fingers crossed. Ended up going with some shelf storage underneath and two flip bin sections on top. Plus an area for my amp and turntable.
I'm guessing you dig the Symbol Audio stuff as well. I love their version of what you plan on building. I really need some sizable flip bins - I always feel like I'm forgetting about those thin single LPs that get crowded out. I can look at my discogs collection to see what I have but its just not the same.

Have you figured out what material you'll be using? Painted MDF? Wood veneered plywood?!? I hope you plan on sharing pics once its done or along the way. I'm thinking about making a tv/ audio gear console cabinet myself and could use the inspiration. Good luck!

So, do you have something in mind and just need to pull the trigger?

Eh, the Symbol stuff is enormously too expensive (though it seems beautifully made). There is a guy on Etsy who makes what seems to be a nice-looking version for considerably less, minus the dovetails and with a larger share of plywood. Thinking about that, maybe.

It’s still pretty spendy, but maybe if there’s a windfall.

Eh, the Symbol stuff is enormously too expensive (though it seems beautifully made). There is a guy on Etsy who makes what seems to be a nice-looking version for considerably less, minus the dovetails and with a larger share of plywood. Thinking about that, maybe.

It’s still pretty spendy, but maybe if there’s a windfall.
Link or name of Etsy dude?

Back