Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I probably spend the same amount as I did before the VMP forum was strangled in its bed in the middle of the night, just not at VMP
Actually I think I spend less but get more records. I think I saved 45 dollars yesterday on buying some regular ol black records over fancy swirly ones.

Actually I think I spend less but get more records. I think I saved 45 dollars yesterday on buying some regular ol black records over fancy swirly ones.
Assuming a $5 markup for fancy swirls, I'm guessing you bought around 9 records for around $180? And your takeaway is that you "saved $45 yesterday." I like the way you think.

Assuming a $5 markup for fancy swirls, I'm guessing you bought around 9 records for around $180? And your takeaway is that you "saved $45 yesterday." I like the way you think.

CD imports ( I think that's the name) on Ebay had 25 percent of 65 or more. I grabbed some stuff in my VMP cart that I was planning on swapping for. With Big, Gorrilaz, Doom hopefully available for swaps I figured I wouldn't be able to swap for them this month anyway, so I got Camp Lo, Knux (2lp orange cover), Power of Zeus, and the new Sturgil preorder for about 70 for the lot of em. That's close to 150 if I bought them fancy on VMP, Probably 105 if I can play their swap game, but this way I'll have em tomorrow ( except Sturgil ) and save some cash.

This makes the record only 32 minutes long. Also, how big exactly is the crossover audience between Young Thug and Angel Olsen?
*raises hand*

I always check out whatever Thugger drops. So Much Fun was pretty solid. I’ve never listened to an Angel Olsen album, but the All Mirrors single was great. I tried listened to My Woman once but I was feeling it. Regardless, the Fader comp is ridiculous.

*raises hand*

I always check out whatever Thugger drops. So Much Fun was pretty solid. I’ve never listened to an Angel Olsen album, but the All Mirrors single was great. I tried listened to My Woman once but I was feeling it. Regardless, the Fader comp is ridiculous.
Oh don't get me wrong, I listen to and enjoy both as well. I just can't imagine that's the case for too many others

Anyone see this?
View attachment 17559

Why are they sending people here to discuss warped Dawes records? :ROFLMAO:
It's almost like they are saying go whine about your "issues" somewhere else. I am surprised that the reddit mods are that intermeshed with VMP's. I guess they'll do whatever it takes to keep those Storf posts coming in.

Anyone see this?
View attachment 17559

Why are they sending people here to discuss warped Dawes records? :ROFLMAO:
I say let them come here. VMP is trying to censor complaints rather than have an open and honest dialogue with customers. As this site continues to grow, we will out rank them in search results. People need a place where they can appropriate share information and concerns with other users and potential users. VMP decided to go backwards because it doesn’t have an immediate or direct ROI.
This guy shouldn’t have been edited like that, we should welcome him.

It's almost like they are saying go whine about your "issues" somewhere else. I am surprised that the reddit mods are that intermeshed with VMP's. I guess they'll do whatever it takes to keep those Storf posts coming in.
Reddit does offer “paid partnerships.” This would make sense with their business first direction.
Option 1 - hire more staff to manage and grow their existing community, which they obviously didn’t want to do. I strongly believe they foresaw a number of issues coming with the exclusive pre-order change. And given the QC errors I think they knew they were sending out some questionable pressing right at that time as well.
Option 2 - pay someone else to do a big chunk of moderation, and put it somewhere that we aren’t expected to maintain. If the expense gets too high or the books get tight, we just drop the contract.

Reddit does offer “paid partnerships.” This would make sense with their business first direction.
Option 1 - hire more staff to manage and grow their existing community, which they obviously didn’t want to do. I strongly believe they foresaw a number of issues coming with the exclusive pre-order change. And given the QC errors I think they knew they were sending out some questionable pressing right at that time as well.
Option 2 - pay someone else to do a big chunk of moderation, and put it somewhere that we aren’t expected to maintain. If the expense gets too high or the books get tight, we just drop the contract.
*At least two* (maybe more) of the reddit mods are active users here (take a bow @MattHasIdeas and @chrb98 ). I don't recognize the other names, but they may be posters here as well. From what I understand, Cam has a mod account but has never used it that way, and the board is basically run completely independently of VMP influence. Anyway, the explanation can probably be taken at face value, IMO: reddit's format isn't good for repeated complaints about that kind of thing, but our forum is.

*At least two* (maybe more) of the reddit mods are active users here (take a bow @MattHasIdeas and @chrb98 ). I don't recognize the other names, but they may be posters here as well. From what I understand, Cam has a mod account but has never used it that way, and the board is basically run completely independently of VMP influence. Anyway, the explanation can probably be taken at face value, IMO: reddit's format isn't good for repeated complaints about that kind of thing, but our forum is.

I agree and of course we should welcome them here.

Its ok that they send them, just funny.

Well firstly, none of us do anything at the request of VMP, and I can ASSURE you no one is getting paid for any of this lol

FWIW I personally wouldn't have recommended someone bring their complaints here. But the rationale for removing the thread from the mod who did it, which I agree with, was that one-off isolated QC incidents are a random inevitability when buying vinyl, especially online. One copy being warped, or one seam being split, is oftentimes just a one-off irregularity and not indicative of a pressing-wide defect. If everyone made an individual post for every record they got that's warped or every sleeve that was creased, the VMP subreddit would be drowned out by those posts. This is because the way that reddit formats its content and front pages is vastly different from a regular web forum - you can only sticky two posts, comments are sorted by upvotes instead of time, popular posts fall off the front page within a day - and a bunch of repetitions of the same thread would drown out any other content, unlike on a web forum where a popular thread can always be on the front page no matter how old it is. So, if a whole thread is made just for one person's individual issues or CS questions, we tend to remove those. We do keep track of what records pop up as issues though - we're all in agreement that if we notice multiple people making threads/comments about the same issue with the same record, we should have a sort-of "diagnosis" thread to spread awareness of the issue, as in that case it's more likely to actually be a pressing-wide defect. That way, the community can put pressure on VMP to acknowledge the issue and rectify it. BTW that's also why we always allow threads about misleading advertising from VMP, persisent and wide-spread issues, etc. Because a community is needed to address and push back against those issues.

Small edit: Just in case it helps shine a light on the situation, @Indymisanthrope is correct - Cam's reddit account is a moderator, but he hasn't been active at all in at least 4 years. He can't be removed by us because he was a moderator first, but he has never once removed a thread or taken any other mod action

Anybody jumping on the Women of Motown Anthology? $295 ($50 discount) for early sign up. I don't have many Motown releases and couldn't see myself paying about $37 an album especially if I don't know what albums are being released. They did provide clues that seem like they would be fairly easy to decipher if someone wanted to put forth the effort. I am sure it will be a nice set for everyone that is really into 60's R&B, At this price point unfortunately It's not worth it to me personally. I am curious what the albums end up being though so I can check them out independently of dropping $300.

Last edited:

Allow me to explain myself. I am the moderator who originally removed the post about the warped Dawes record. I did this before I was made aware that this was a more widespread issue. At the time, it was just one subscriber, and I'll be honest -- with how volatile this community can be, I thought it best at the time to remove it.

If it really was just an isolated issue, I didn't want people screaming on the subreddit -- "The sky is falling! VMP QA sucks! Storf is an asshole! Classic VMP. They fuck everything up! BLA BLA BLA". I was trying to prevent this type of thing happening.

I saw today that multiple people were reporting the same defect on side A of the Dawes record. I opened up the original post that I had quarantined, issued an apology to the original poster. Anything that other mods did like directing people to Needles and Grooves -- that wasn't me. I'm not saying I disagree with that move. I'm just saying that it wasn't my recommendation.

I will say wholeheartedly -- I like Storf. I've never had a problem with him since the early days of the original forum. My job as a moderator on the subreddit is to make sure people feel heard, that malignant/harmful posts are dealt with, and that we can all be civil and engage in meaningful conversations.

Back