Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I always have found it strange that Morton Subotnick released Silver Apples on the Moon around the same time the band Silver Apples released their self titled debut. Much prefer Silver Apples, the band
TBH, I just saw the album title and assumed it was related to the group it wasn’t until I saw the reaction on here and investigated further that is was definitely not related.

TBH, I just saw the album title and assumed it was related to the group it wasn’t until I saw the reaction on here and investigated further that is was definitely not related.

Thought it was Silver Apples. Listened to the stream. This will be in the store for a while.
When they first announced the Nonesuch reissue list I thought it was Silver Apples (the band) as well and got really excited. Then saw that it was good old Morty and chuckled to myself that there will be a few surprised people picking this us.

I don’t know the Subotnick/Silver Apples record, but I have a very small collection of electronic music on vinyl, including an album by Suzanne Ciani playing the Buchla synthesizer. She was a torch bearer for the Buchla from 1970s onward.

I’ve recommended the documentary, “Sisters With Transistors” elsewhere on N&G and will do so again here. Even if you don’t like the music, it’s a fascinating account of women, often ignored, in electronic music starting in the middle 20th century.

Also, Suzanne Ciani was a bit of a character and a great foil for David Letterman in his heyday. Here she is showing him the Buchla and trying to explain it, all while he does his normal shtick:

I don’t know the Subotnick/Silver Apples record, but I have a very small collection of electronic music on vinyl, including an album by Suzanne Ciani playing the Buchla synthesizer. She was a torch bearer for the Buchla from 1970s onward.

I’ve recommended the documentary, “Sisters With Transistors” elsewhere on N&G and will do so again here. Even if you don’t like the music, it’s a fascinating account of women, often ignored, in electronic music starting in the middle 20th century.

Also, Suzanne Ciani was a bit of a character and a great foil for David Letterman in his heyday. Here she is showing him the Buchla and trying to explain it, all while he does his normal shtick:

It’s a dream of mine to find one of her pinball machines

Damn, daytime Letterman was weird

Thank you for posting this and spreading the gospel of Ciani. Loved her work for a long time (except for some of that New Age stuff back in the 80s when New Age was sort of a thing).

Sorry that I am in the minority but I've always kind of liked the Subotnick record because I love early synth and classical weirdness like that but never pulled the trigger. Def not at $41.

Thank you for posting this and spreading the gospel of Ciani. Loved her work for a long time (except for some of that New Age stuff back in the 80s when New Age was sort of a thing).

Sorry that I am in the minority but I've always kind of liked the Subotnick record because I love early synth and classical weirdness like that but never pulled the trigger. Def not at $41.
Oh hell man there is nothing wrong with liking it, I'm envious because as much as I like weirdness I just can't get through it. But I mean it's considered an important album in a lot of circles so that's on me, not the album.

Back