Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I love Coltrane's music, but I never find myself reaching for A Love Supreme. So many better albums by him.
FWIW I love the album and play it regularly. And still there’s no way I’m dropping 3 bills on outtakes and widely available live material. I don’t think I could even rationalize it at 40% off.

FWIW I love the album and play it regularly. And still there’s no way I’m dropping 3 bills on outtakes and widely available live material. I don’t think I could even rationalize it at 40% off.
I am firmly in the “we’ve jumped the shark” bucket when it comes to massive box sets with tons of outtakes on vinyl. Like, how often are people listening to all of that stuff on vinyl?

I may be in the minority, but that’s the kind of stuff I would much rather stream.

I am firmly in the “we’ve jumped the shark” bucket when it comes to massive box sets with tons of outtakes on vinyl. Like, how often are people listening to all of that stuff on vinyl?

I may be in the minority, but that’s the kind of stuff I would much rather stream.
Yup. I’m a huge Prince fan and those crazy super deluxe sets get bought on CD. I don’t have enough space to store two records full of nothing but 1999 remixed to hell.

Hell I don't even usually want to stream outtakes. Maybe once, but only if it's something I really like.

As for almost everything VMP releases now, I'll wait for either a swap option or a discount code. Nice but not for me at this price.
Print isn’t gonna be around past next week. It’s a timed limited release available to order for 7 days. And I doubt they are putting a poster in swaps!

I don’t think the poster is too crazy of a price for a serigraph. It’s a pretty large poster. Framing it is what’s gonna cost a lot hah

Vinyl makes me do weird things. Like considering buying a print of a photo for $400 dollars.

The cheaper print/poster is probably the move.

I'm curious if either comes with any paperwork of any kind? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. It would be a bummer to try to prove this was "limited" years from now.

EDIT

per /u/pancakebatterboy on reddit, the email states :

"Blown up to 20x16 from the original negative. Limited to 77 sales copies and a private edition of 10 for the Kalin estate.

Printed by hand on glossy double weight photographic paper in Nashville, TN by the skilled technicians at Third Man Photography.

Stamped and numbered in pencil on back."

Still seems kinda mid for a $400 dollar piece of art? Or am I wrong? I can just picture trying to sell this on pawn stars in 50 years and they discredit me for not having paperwork with it.

Last edited:
Vinyl makes me do weird things. Like considering buying a print of a photo for $400 dollars.

The cheaper print/poster is probably the move.

I'm curious if either comes with any paperwork of any kind? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. It would be a bummer to try to prove this was "limited" years from now.

It will probably be numbered. And if it doesn't end up on Expresso Beans you can always add it.

The prints look incredible. Too bad I'm not that big of a Coltrane fan, lol

If they later do one of, say, Monk or Herbie, then color me intrigued.

Edit: Unrelated but a local antique store I pop in on occasion just randomly has this oil painting of Thelonious Monk that I've been tempted of buying for about two years now.

Print isn’t gonna be around past next week. It’s a timed limited release available to order for 7 days. And I doubt they are putting a poster in swaps!

I don’t think the poster is too crazy of a price for a serigraph. It’s a pretty large poster. Framing it is what’s gonna cost a lot hah

TBH if it's just to hang on a wall at home, there are better and cheaper options out there. Though I am certain most of those who are buying it is more for the fact that it's limited than to really look at it regularly once at home. To make it clear, as a collectionist, I am not blaming anyone. I too have limited stuff than I rarely play, read or look at (or even never).

As for swaps, we have seen more expensive stuff in swaps so...

TBH if it's just to hang on a wall at home, there are better and cheaper options out there. Though I am certain most of those who are buying it is more for the fact that it's limited than to really look at it regularly once at home. To make it clear, as a collectionist, I am not blaming anyone. I too have limited stuff than I rarely play, read or look at (or even never).

As for swaps, we have seen more expensive stuff in swaps so...
We talking about the photo or the etching from the gatefold? I agree the photo is crazy price and priced more for exclusivity/an art investment.

I’d be shocked if the poster is in swaps. There’s never been anything but records in swaps from what I remember. Maybe a TBT but then it’ll be the same price.

The price is obviously subjective. I’m sure I could find a poster of Coltrane for cheaper than $80. I just happen to think this one’s cool and not that crazy of a price for a large screenprinted poster made by hand. I’m not really a fan of the photo print in general regardless of price though. It’s not something I’d hang up at home.

it's been a few years since I got a good ol' fashioned GZ snap crackle and pop job from VMP, but Son of Schmilsson, come on down! You're the next contestant on "send me a clean copy bruv"...
i've been pretty lucky with the GZ stuff lately. some mild warps but not much in the way of surface noise.

of course now that i say that, the VMP box i just got is likely gonna have a buncha duds in it...

HermanosGutierrez_SonidoCosmico_Mockup.jpg

MikexWillie1_1.jpg

MikexWillie2_1_30ec3342-dced-431b-8c5e-77157105cdfe.jpg

MikexWillie1_1.jpg

MikexWillie2_1_30ec3342-dced-431b-8c5e-77157105cdfe.jpg

Sweet

Back