Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Mostly very good... I'm beginning to notice a pattern that I tend to have issues closer to the center of the record with a few VMP releases. It could be a coincidence but I've noticed it with this one and with Spiritualized. When I got to the end of a side, I notice like a tinny sound. I can't think of another way to explain it.

Also there were a few pops here and there. I'm hoping those may be resolved after a cleaning.
Yes, GZ and TMR frequently have issues with this sort of end of side crackling. Both my copies of VMP TMR De Stijl have it as well as both of the TMR Blues Fest albums and honestly more GZ albums than I can count...

I'd love to know what causes this specific issues at the end of sides. Whether it's coming off the press too early when the wax hasn't set yet, or what...

Last edited:
Some good news on Just Coolin' from Matt @ VMP CS:
"Good news on the Just Coolin' front though. This is being fulfilled and you should be receiving an email in the next 5-7 business days when this ships out from our warehouse with the tracking information as well."

Also, has anyone received Etta James yet? The music seems great when I streamed it. Usual good, not great, GZ pressing quality?

Received some store credit and debating between Etta James, Fleet Foxes, or paying a little extra to upgrade my copy of Stardust from my got-in-a-pawn-shop copy to the AP 45rpm version.
Mine just arrived today. I'm hoping to give it a spin tonight and can report back.
It's packaged in a loose sleeve which is nice.

Just received my Al Green and gave it a spin. Love the tip-on jacket, and it’s a decent looking pressing. Better looking than the mock-up IMO. I noticed some pops here and there throughout, but I think it just needs a thorough cleaning. At least I hope that’s all it is, I had forgotten this was pressed at GZ. Also, my copy had a slight warp but it isn’t too bad.

I’m really happy with the sound though. It has a very nice punch to it with a great soundstage. Overall, I’m very pleased.

Mine just arrived today. I'm hoping to give it a spin tonight and can report back.
It's packaged in a loose sleeve which is nice.
@TCell I gave it a spin and here are my thoughts:

Packaging: It comes in a nice tip on sleeve, it's crisp and looks great. The vinyl is the olive green shown in the mockup, it comes in a loose outer sleeve, and the inner sleeve is lined. All in all, exactly what I expected.
Score: (y)

Vinyl: Pressed at GZ, flat, lots of paper which took several times to brush off with the static brush to get it all off. No skips or infill. Again, typical GZ.
Score: (y)(kinda, not QRP/Pallas but is as advertised)

Sound: No mastering information given and this makes sense. It sounds slightly better than the digital version but I'm not sure if this is due to the pressing or due to the fact that my record player has better speakers. The low bass and drum parts seemed fuzzy at times, which I would expect with a digital source. All in all it's passable and the music plays just as well if not slightly better than Apple Music (which is where I stream music from). If you want it for your collection, go right ahead, it's a fantastic album but don't expect it to be unreal sonically.
Score: 🤷‍♂️

@TCell I gave it a spin and here are my thoughts:

Packaging: It comes in a nice tip on sleeve, it's crisp and looks great. The vinyl is the olive green shown in the mockup, it comes in a loose outer sleeve, and the inner sleeve is lined. All in all, exactly what I expected.
Score: (y)

Vinyl: Pressed at GZ, flat, lots of paper which took several times to brush off with the static brush to get it all off. No skips or infill. Again, typical GZ.
Score: (y)(kinda, not QRP/Pallas but is as advertised)

Sound: No mastering information given and this makes sense. It sounds slightly better than the digital version but I'm not sure if this is due to the pressing or due to the fact that my record player has better speakers. The low bass and drum parts seemed fuzzy at times, which I would expect with a digital source. All in all it's passable and the music plays just as well if not slightly better than Apple Music (which is where I stream music from). If you want it for your collection, go right ahead, it's a fantastic album but don't expect it to be unreal sonically.
Score: 🤷‍♂️

Thanks! That was the thorough review I was hoping for. I appreciate you taking the time.

Anyone wanna gimme the run down on the Jazz Dispensary?
If it's something from the Jazz Dispensary "Top Shelf" offshoot then it's all really solid mastering and pressings. Pretty wide range of musical styles they deal with. Joe Henderson "The Elements" is fantastic, as is Gary Bartz NTU Troop and Funk Inc.

Anyone wanna gimme the run down on the Jazz Dispensary?
Craft has a very small and Odd Jazz imprint meant for pot heads called Jazz Dispensary. They started out doing RSD themed comps of 60s and 70s Jazz with a funk tendency and their Top Shelf imprint is some of the best jazz reissues of the past decade with Elements by Joe Henderson and Afro-disiac by Charles Kynard being my personal faves.

Last edited:
If it's something from the Jazz Dispensary "Top Shelf" offshoot then it's all really solid mastering and pressings. Pretty wide range of musical styles they deal with. Joe Henderson "The Elements" is fantastic, as is Gary Bartz NTU Troop and Funk Inc.
Craft has a very small and Odd Jazz imprint meant for pot heads called Jazz Dispensary. They started out doing RSD themed comps of 60s and 70s Jazz with a funk tendency and their Top Shelf imprint is some of the best jazz reissues of the past decade with Elementals by Joe Henderson and Afro-disiac by Charles Kynard being my personal faves.
Thanks for the info, I’ll keep an eye out! Sounds interesting and whacky enough to check out.

On another note, just got my Dreams copy. Anyone else think the last song on the album “Ferris Wheel” sounds a LOT like Buzzin Fly by Tim Buckley in parts lol? This seriously might be one of my favorite clsssics ever though, absolutely BEAUTIFUL package and sound.

Craft has a very small and Odd Jazz imprint meant for pot heads called Jazz Dispensary. They started out doing RSD themed comps of 60s and 70s Jazz with a funk tendency and their Top Shelf imprint is some of the best jazz reissues of the past decade with Elements by Joe Henderson and Afro-disiac by Charles Kynard being my personal faves.
I feel like every time these guys come up I see @Lee Newman talking about them. Definitely think the Elements and some of their more free jazz releases are absolutely phenomenal. I personally am not as into the funk forward releases ( I have a few and feel that some tracks are a bit similar across the releases). But I’m not a VMP member and this will surely be more expensive than I want to spend, so my opinion doesn’t matter all that much anyways lol

I feel like every time these guys come up I see @Lee Newman talking about them. Definitely think the Elements and some of their more free jazz releases are absolutely phenomenal. I personally am not as into the funk forward releases ( I have a few and feel that some tracks are a bit similar across the releases). But I’m not a VMP member and this will surely be more expensive than I want to spend, so my opinion doesn’t matter all that much anyways lol
I have the RSD boxset and all of the comp releases they’ve done. Really enjoy those. Not a VMP member either so hoping it’s not going to ruin my completionist streak with the Black Friday release being at the top of my list right behind the Neal Casal album.

Last edited:
Back