Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I'm always surprised when I see the prices of wine abroad. Here you can buy a bottle of great wine for 1,50 dollars. (You can also buy cheap wine for 40 cents, but it's goddamn awful). There are always more expensive, luxurious wines but not for more than 10 dollars.
I brought back around a 15-20 dollar bottle of Malbec when I was in Mendoza and it was amazing. Some of the best wine I have had.

Gordon Anderson
This is the release out of the 4 store drops that I absolutely loved upon previewing! This was an instant cop for me! This is an excellent vocal jazz album, and Kellee's voice is stunning! 😍💎
This is really interesting. I insta-copped the Kellee Patterson without question (@NathanRicaud I LOVE that you are excited for this one!) BUT it appears the cycle has been broken from what was teased as the series. I posted a while ago (see the quote) that Gordon Anderson and Zev Feldman were releasing 4 Black Jazz releases, and I assumed the VMP releases would be colour pressings of these 4. Looks like it's not though, as they are releasing 'Gene Russell - New Direction', 'Walter Bishop, Jr. - Coral Keys' (The first in the VMP series), 'The Awakening - Hear, Sense and Feel' and 'Doug Carn Featuring the Voice of Jean Carn - Spirit of the New Land'.

Still, cant complain as it means there will be more on offer overall!

Oh man, all this Portugal talk is making me so happy! I spent 15 days last year traveling around Portugal, the highlight being two nights staying at a winery hotel in the Douro Valley with the most amazing views. This is from the pool:

View attachment 61203
And this one of my favorite Portuguese wines that I’ve been able to find failrly easily in the states, discovered it at a local Portuguese restaurant:
View attachment 61202

Oh I remember your Instagram posts! What an amazing trip you had.

My When The Pawn record is apparently out for delivery today, which is really fast. It was originally estimated to arrive on Friday.

The question is whether my Bolt Cutters will be included too. I got two separate shipping notices the same day, BUT there's no tracking number for FTBC. And the out for delivery email from VMP only mentions Pawn. 🤔

I will also say that Tex-Mex is a legit cuisine and is the perfect distillation of what is unique about the food in America (one of the few things we have going for us overall..)
I was discussing this with my girlfriend the other day. Tex-Mex is erroneously seen as a "lesser" or "altered" version of Mexican food, when it's its own thing. Most people see it as fast food only, but Taco Bell and all that bullshit aside, Tex Mex is a true vernacular expression. I don't know if this has happened yet, but I'd love to see a chef take Tex-Mex to the "gourmet" stage and finally legimize it as a unique cultural expression.

This is really interesting. I insta-copped the Kellee Patterson without question (@NathanRicaud I LOVE that you are excited for this one!) BUT it appears the cycle has been broken from what was teased as the series. I posted a while ago (see the quote) that Gordon Anderson and Zev Feldman were releasing 4 Black Jazz releases, and I assumed the VMP releases would be colour pressings of these 4. Looks like it's not though, as they are releasing 'Gene Russell - New Direction', 'Walter Bishop, Jr. - Coral Keys' (The first in the VMP series), 'The Awakening - Hear, Sense and Feel' and 'Doug Carn Featuring the Voice of Jean Carn - Spirit of the New Land'.

Still, cant complain as it means there will be more on offer overall!
Interesting! I’m also super happy Zev Feldman is involved in this mini Black Jazz VMP series! I loved Walter Bishop Jr.’s Coral Keys so much, and am also blown away with how great Kellee Patterson’s Maiden Voyage is too! ♥

I’m also happy that it seems all colour variants will be the same! I really like that touch! Plus, it seems that all four exclusives will ship on October. I think all four exclusives are likely to ship together! 🙌

Overall, I’m really excited to spin these Black Jazz Records Label releases! 😇

Last edited:
Yeah Portuguese lands are not well known. As you said most of the tourists go down south to the Algarve region. It's definitely not the area I prefer, it doesn't look Portuguese if you know what I mean. Evora for example is one of the most beautiful Portuguese city but only Spanish tourists go there (it's 1h far from the boarder)

A couple of years ago my gf and I drove all along the coast from Coimbra to Faro. We discovered a small village called Odeceixe and we decided that we would retire there if we ever have a chance to retire one day. To get there you must leave the main road from Lisbon, take a small road and follow the river and there you are: a small village with a very small beach stuck between two cliffs and a mix of pure water from the river and salt water from the sea. Best place on earth.

View attachment 61155
It's funny that you mention your gf wanting to retire there, I was born and raised in Portugal for the first 13 years of my life before making Canada our permanent home and I've been back many times with friends, gf's, etc who have never been before and that's usually the conclusion they all come to..."I wanna move here" or "I wanna retire here".

I have travelled to many different countries, most of Europe for example, throughout North America, the Caribbean and even parts of Africa and they're all beautiful, and charming countries in their own way and I would happily go back to anyone of them, but there is something about Portugal that just surprises you every time you visit (especially the first time you visit) and keeps pulling you back. It's like this tiny little country with so much stuff to see and do and you'd never think it was possible to have all that in such a tiny parcel of land mass. It is the oldest official country in Europe and has so much documented history and a lot of it has been rather well preserved to this day. There's always a beautiful beach, or an old castle or breathtaking cliffs or whatever just waiting around the next corner, never a dull moment.

I agree that while every region of Portugal has its own uniqueness and beauty for the most part the warmth of the people stays the same no matter where you go, the cost of living is low, food is for the most part amazing and fairly inexpensive, and booze (especially local wines) is even cheaper.

And while we're discussing travel and cuisine, I highly recommend Morocco as well for anyone that hasn't been, great inexpensive food, very warm and welcoming people, and there's a certain level of frenziness and culture shock that somehow adds to the appeal. Marrakesh is like this desert Oasis that's surrounded by white snowy peaks of the Atlas Mountains which gives it this surreal look at times. And while there take a day trip to the Atlas mountains themselves you won't regret it.

Cheers.

My When The Pawn record is apparently out for delivery today, which is really fast. It was originally estimated to arrive on Friday.

The question is whether my Bolt Cutters will be included too. I got two separate shipping notices the same day, BUT there's no tracking number for FTBC. And the out for delivery email from VMP only mentions Pawn. 🤔
I got shipping notices for When The Pawn and my August swap (Albert King) today... different tracking numbers, of course :rolleyes:

Still waiting on that White Stripes...

Back