Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I imagine they’re trying to prioritize the selling out of exclusives cause they probably take a hit every time they give an exclusive as a swap. Those bastids, they know they can sell out to resellers by allowing more copies per person.

I imagine they’re trying to prioritize the selling out of exclusives cause they probably take a hit every time they give an exclusive as a swap. Those bastids, they know they can sell out to resellers by allowing more copies per person.
I don't believe they are taking a hit at the swap price. It is right in line with many similar reissues. Might be extra slim profit on the 2xLPs but I don't believe they would allow those to be swapped if they took a hit.

Edit: obviously their profit margin is taking a hit, so your point still stands, just thought you meant losing money.

Last edited:
I don't believe they are taking a hit at the swap price. It is right in line with many similar reissues. Might be extra slim profit on the 2xLPs but I don't believe they would allow those to be swapped if they took a hit.

Edit: obviously their profit margin is taking a hit, so your point still stands, just thought you meant losing money.

particularly when their prices are bloody high to begin with! I used to think they were cheap, and to us they still kinda are, but then I remembered that you generally don’t pay sales tax over there. Add our 23% VAT on top of your prices and they’re far higher than what I’d pay and so it’s it’s becoming clear to me that they’re creaming a much bigger margin than most retailers!

Well if anyone happens to have an extra copy of Mobb Deep or anything then let me know since I wasn’t able to get one today :(
Now I wish I bought two, and I woulda got one for you. I'm so ingrained into thinking any VMP exclusive is always 1 per customer I didn't even realize multiple copies could be purchased.

Well that explains it then.
But I honestly think it went very fast because of how amazing that album is firstly and also, because that album has aged very well. On top, that it’s one of the definitive East-Coast hip-hop albums ever! 🔥💯

Lil Kim’s Hardcore was also limited to 1,000 copies, and was $4 cheaper which is also a 2xLP, but that exclusive hasn’t sold out yet! 💁‍♂️

Mobb Deep’s The Infamous sold out because it has such a dedicated audience! I set my alarm at 4am to make sure I got this! And I already have the Music On Vinyl pressing of this! 🐒

The colour variant looks amazing too! Yeah, there would have been some people that purchased 2 or more copies, but more than 90% of buyers I reckon only got copy!

I regret not setting my alarm for Freddie Gibbs & Madlib’s Piñata! I had a feeling this Mobb Deep’s exclusive was going to go quick and I’m happy I went with my instinct and woke up early! 😅

The colour variant looks amazing too! Yeah, there would have been some people that purchased 2 or more copies, but more than 90% of buyers I reckon only got copy!

10% of the stock going to resellers is only 20 people buying 5 copies. You really think it's that little of an amount?

EDIT

Actually Storf kinda confirmed this on reddit.

"I just looked and it's definitely not as many people as you're imagining in your head. There were a -few- people who bought that many. Vast, vast, vast majority bought just 1. "

Last edited:
10% of the stock going to resellers is only 20 people buying 5 copies. You really think it's that little of an amount?

EDIT

Actually Storf kinda confirmed this on reddit.

"I just looked and it's definitely not as many people as you're imagining in your head. There were a -few- people who bought that many. Vast, vast, vast majority bought just 1. "
Yeah, I honestly thought it would’ve been around 5-10 people who bought 3+ copies! I’m not surprised The Infamous sold out so quickly!

The Notorious B.I.G.’s Ready To Die and The Fugees’ The Score have both been incredibly popular ROTM’s. So a lot of VMP subscribers love their 90’s hip-hop.

Just some food for thought:

On Rateyourmusic, Mobb Deep’s The Imfamous was ranked #5 best album of 1995 with 7,816 ratings. Fugees’ The Score was ranked #31 of 1996, with 4.418 ratings! De La Soul’s De La Soul is Dead, which also sold out within a day, has under 3,000 ratings, yet 3 Feet High & Rising has nearly 7,000 ratings! Mobb Deep’s The Infamous also has more ratings than Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle, OutKast’s Southernplaya..., Lil’ Wayne Tha Carter III, Noname’s Room 25, Saba’s Care For Me, The Roots’ How I Got Over etc, which were all popular R&HH ROTM.

So it really does make sense why Mobb Deep’s The Infamous sold out so quickly! It’s such a well-known and highly regarded album!

But I still understand why people are very shocked about this selling out so quickly and why people are a bit suspicious.

No I’ve not! Unfortunately unlikely to any time soon, I have a backlog of about 20 records to spin right now!
Ahhhhh damn! Because I think you would absolutely love that album! I know this is a big call, but I could actually imagine it being one of your favourite albums of the 90’s!

And.......I have a feeling that album might drop as a VMP exclusive this Friday. You’re currently a subscribed VMP, so I thought it would be the perfect idea for you, if Fiona Apple’s “When The Pawn...” really does drop this Friday, to buy the album before it sells out!

Like.....I don’t want to put other artists/albums down, but I’m sure you would prefer “When The Pawn” much, much more than Nilufer Yanya’s “Miss Universe” for example! (Using that album as an example as I know you purchased it this year!). And I’m sure you would also prefer it much more to Brittany Howard’s album that also got released this year!

Ahhhhh damn! Because I think you would absolutely love that album! I know this is a big call, but I could actually imagine it being one of your favourite albums of the 90’s!

And.......I have a feeling that album might drop as a VMP exclusive this Friday. You’re currently a subscribed VMP, so I thought it would be the perfect idea for you, if Fiona Apple’s “When The Pawn...” really does drop this Friday, to buy the album before it sells out!

Like.....I don’t want to put other artists/albums down, but I’m sure you would prefer “When The Pawn” much, much more than Nilufer Yanya’s “Miss Universe” for example! (Using that album as an example as I know you purchased it this year!). And I’m sure you would also prefer it much more to Brittany Howard’s album that also got released this year!

You’re making BIG claims there @NathanRicaud the 90s was the decade I got into music and contains some serious nostalgia! Also, I still think you are getting far too hyped about a string they’ve been dangling you from for a least 18 months, it could just as easily be any other album.

When The Pawn is probably my favorite Fiona album... Although I can't complain. They're all great.

Tina’d The Infamous.

Considering Beck...what’s everyone’s opinion on the best available variant?
Not even sure I want it.
I never spin my Colors.
I haven’t decided yet. I was going to look at shipping on the clear variant from Beck’s site. I like that VMP is numbered, but I’m not big on the color or the probable shipping delays for weeks or even months after release.

I’m also not sold on this first single, but I do also love Pharrell and the fact that he’s a major contributor to the majority of this album.

Back