Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

They’ve ignored my swap request and I anticipate they will continue to do so.... if I file a PayPal claim to get my sub $ back will I win?
Have yet to have any response other than the stock "swaps will work soon don't worry" reply after I sent through my request right at the start of it all.

The reply to that, the subsequent email the morning after, the ticket submission yesterday and the DM on twitter from the night of the swaps have all gone unanswered to date.

Abysmal service.

Have yet to have any response other than the stock "swaps will work soon don't worry" reply after I sent through my request right at the start of it all.

The reply to that, the subsequent email the morning after, the ticket submission yesterday and the DM on twitter from the night of the swaps have all gone unanswered to date.

Abysmal service.

Its sadly business as usual. They’ve always been terrible on logistics and quality control but they were historically always exceptional on customer service. That began to slide about 18 months ago and has all but disappeared now. I left when they nuked the forum (this is an unaffiliated forum set up to re home us) last May and gave them another try around Christmas and nothing had changed since I left, it had actually got worse. Never say never, but the chances of me re-subbing are minimal, it’d take a real white whale of an album for it to happen!

Last edited:
they also rejected me for Shabaka which is complete BS.

Anyway I'm not going to lose sleep over that and just settle for their Roots album which I'll be going into blind.
You’re in for a treat! The Roots’ “Phrenology” absolute shits on Shabaka and The Ancestors’ “We Are Sent Here by History”, even though that Shabaka album is pretty great! 🤝

I’m excited for you to listen to Phrenology as I think it’s a masterpiece of an album. I’ve already expressed my love for this album and think it’s an A+ ROTM pick! 💎

Abysmal service.
I’m actually so devastated this is your first experience with VMP because you’re such a positive, fun, cute person! I really hope they make it up to you and that you end up getting some records you absolutely love! You deserve way better! 😌🧞‍♂️

Really crossing my fingers for you! 🤞

How does that little beaver album sound? I’ve always been intrigued by it and that’s what they swapped me too
I cant answer your question, but what I would say is that they seem to be advertising the ass off that release. I keep seeing it popped up everywhere, social media (instagram and facebook), ebay (a weird one as clicking the ad takes you off the ebay site to the VMP homepage).

You’re in for a treat! The Roots’ “Phrenology” absolute shits on Shabaka and The Ancestors’ “We Are Sent Here by History”, even though that Shabaka album is pretty great! 🤝

I’m excited for you to listen to Phrenology as I think it’s a masterpiece of an album. I’ve already expressed my love for this album and think it’s an A+ ROTM pick! 💎

Really?

Its sadly business as usual. They’ve always been terrible on logistics and quality control but they were his always exceptional on customer service. That began to slide about 18 months ago and has all but disappeared now. I left when they nuked the forum (this is an unaffiliated forum set up to re home us) last May and gave them another try around Christmas and nothing had changed since I left, it had actually got worse. Never say never, but the chances of me re-subbing are minimal, it’d take a real white whale of an album for it to happen!
It's somewhat impressive. I've dealt with poor support in the past but this manages to be remarkable lol. Have about 10 records backed up in the store for it too so hoping it won't be like they left a wild ferret in the box during shipping but not keeping my hopes too high there lol.

I’m actually so devastated this is your first experience with VMP because you’re such a positive, fun, cute person! I really hope they make it up to you and that you end up getting some records you absolutely love! You deserve way better! 😌🧞‍♂️

Really crossing my fingers for you! 🤞
Thanks Nathan, appreciate that! 🙏

Thankfully not having much of a collection it means I can utilise the tracks and swaps and still come out with some great music I don't yet have 💪 Just frustrating as Black Pumas and Demon Days were among the few I had recognised in my head to hope for and spending an hour+ clicking on one or the other before they disappear from my eyes wasn't exactly the exciting swap day I'd anticipated!

At the moment I've kept Stevie, swapped SnP for Stooges and am debating moving Errol for the Fania All Stars but seeing if anything else pops up inbetween (if Fania goes then perhaps Herbie Hancock - Mister Hands). Honestly were it not for the terrible service I'd have been tempted to sign up a second time for this month to catch up on Ricky Rosé and secure SnP anyway, just so I was caught up and didn't feel a pressure to swap future ones for the more common ones I've missed.

Annoying as I feel like I'm jeopardizing my chance of the requested swaps if they do respond but it having been three days and tomorrow being the last day I didn't want to wait and miss the Stooges, and same for others if they continue the silence. Already missed the other exclusives waiting for the response to the request lol 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

I'm getting The Roots - Phrenology too!

It was naive of me to expect this to go smoothly, but seriously, I re-subsribed on Monday for a 3-month-plan and I was really looking forward to this. After spending an hour in front of the computer Monday night trying to swap for Caroline Polachek (and succeding in doing so), my Swap was - as with probably everyone else who chose Pang - randomly changed to another record, "All Mirrors" by Angel Olsen. I did not receive any information on why that happened and what I was supposed to do if I wanted to swap out of it. I never received this E-Mail some other people got. All my E-Mails to VMP remained unanswered. By browsing this forum and Reddit I found out about the Swap Request Form, which I used now to try to ensure that I get at least something I chose myself and since it's Stevie Nicks, I hope it won't be a problem. I have no idea why they promise something to their customers with these Swap Exclusives that they can't keep. If you can't guarantee that the technology behind the store will work flawlessly, you should adjust your offer, abandon the Swap Exclusives and spare your customers the disappointment. Simply hoping that it will work out somehow is not fair to your members. Then randomly choosing a record for me that I didn’t ask for shortly before the deadline that I couldn’t change myself while not returning to my mails, what kind of service is that? Like after having paid I have to set all levers in motion to even get something I chose myself... I am absolutely not willing to pay for this subscription if they're not able to proceed the swaps properly and fulfill their part of the deal.

I deeply regret having signed up again for 3 months. Given what happened this week, I absolutely want them to change my 3-month-plan to a monthly plan, take my Stevie and get out of this ASAP. This was supposed to be fun but it's just a huge mess. But as I've said before, it's my own fault, I let them disappoint myself despite the obvious fact that they're currently not able to run their business and sell their products properly.
I have now emailed twice asking them to cancel before my payment goes through with no response. I am hesitant to cancel myself because I have a few things on preorder or am waiting to receive them...

VMP was saying on Twitter that their website isn’t the issue, it’s the payment processing site that screwed up...pretty sure that’s not why swaps stopped working and why your inventory is always incorrect...and if that is the case why’d you switch over to it and why haven’t you fixed it yet? What a frustrating company.

Shabaka is one of the albums of the year for me, but yeah I'm looking forward to listening to that Roots album based on the comments about the pressing quality on discogs. Hope it arrives without problems.

I have now emailed twice asking them to cancel before my payment goes through with no response. I am hesitant to cancel myself because I have a few things on preorder or am waiting to receive them...

VMP was saying on Twitter that their website isn’t the issue, it’s the payment processing site that screwed up...pretty sure that’s not why swaps stopped working and why your inventory is always incorrect...and if that is the case why’d you switch over to it and why haven’t you fixed it yet? What a frustrating company.

The IT Manager in me is laughing pretty hard at their incompetence. The payment processing part has nothing to do with it.
I can't wait until they start blaming Shopify, which also isn't the problem.
It takes a lot of work to make Shopify not work so congrats VMP, you did it?

The IT Manager in me is laughing pretty hard at their incompetence. The payment processing part has nothing to do with it.
I can't wait until they start blaming Shopify, which also isn't the problem.
It takes a lot of work to make Shopify not work so congrats VMP, you did it?
Them trying to displace blame over and over from their incompetence is not new but I still get shocked by it. Does it really work on people?? Migration issues were blamed on their old website not being up to par, but why do a full move over to the new one during the busiest time of the shopping year without even testing it? And do people really think that swaps were affected by their payment processing??

The problem is VMP is making money and that’s enough for them. They don’t care about being a good company anymore or care about their customers. If the money is coming in, there’s no reason, in their mind, to fix or improve things.

Man you guys, being a member seems like a ton of work and very time consuming. All over some pretty bland variants? Back in the day VMP was actually fun, not just getting new records but enjoyable to follow and exciting watch the releases. Maybe it still is but from the outside looking in just looks like a huge headache.

Are you even excited anymore by the time you receive what you are supposed to?

Them trying to displace blame over and over from their incompetence is not new but I still get shocked by it. Does it really work on people?? Migration issues were blamed on their old website not being up to par, but why do a full move over to the new one during the busiest time of the shopping year without even testing it? And do people really think that swaps were affected by their payment processing??

The problem is VMP is making money and that’s enough for them. They don’t care about being a good company anymore or care about their customers. If the money is coming in, there’s no reason, in their mind, to fix or improve things.

It is truly confounding. They've been "working on it" since I first joined in 2016, yet the overall experience has deteriorated, and prices have gone up; considerably in both cases. I think you hit the nail on the head...as long as money keeps rolling in the door, they will not invest in making the improvements they have promised for years.

After a lengthy hiatus, this 3 for 2 deal pulled me back in. May will be month two, yet I can hardly wait to find the exit. Spending money on something I love shouldn't be this agonizing. Given the current state of things, I'll be supporting my local shops. They need it more than ever right now.

Back