Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

There was a time that the only stress was your order going out on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or maybe even Friday. TOTS and BOTS originally were only a few days , maybe a week apart. Crazy to think that's what used to upset people. Lol

Yeah, damn. I wish for the good ol' days when it annoyed me that I was always in the BOTS shipment that went out on the 9th or 10th. My April Rick Ross just shipped TODAY.

Say someone wanted to use up some credits so they bought a record from VMP on Monday and proceeded to cancel their membership soon after, when should said person begin to worry about not see any shipment updates? It's been a while since I've bought anything from the store and I did select "ship with next record of the month"...did I just screw myself over by cancelling?

Thanks in advance, I'd hit up CS but in the best of times I could never get a fast response and seeing the mess they are in now I'm trying to avoid adding to the backlog with less pressing issues

Nathan, this kind of hot and totally incorrect takes, added to your free VMP subscription, make it seem like you're a paid VMP hype man.
Sorry, I worded myself poorly before. I shouldn’t have said it like that! Maybe the language was a bit too inappropriate! 🙈

But I don’t think Phrenology > We Are Sent Here By History is a hot take at all! If you asked everyone on here to vote which album they like more, I would assume Phrenology would get the most votes!? 🤷‍♂️

Is that the hot take? Or is it me rating Phrenology as an A+ pick? 🤔

And definitely not a paid VMP hype person. I’d admit that, if that was the case!

Sorry, I worded myself poorly before. I shouldn’t have said it like that! Maybe the language was a bit too inappropriate! 🙈

But I don’t think Phrenology > We Are Sent Here By History is a hot take at all! If you asked everyone on here to vote which album they like more, I would assume Phrenology would get the most votes!? 🤷‍♂️

Is that the hot take? Or is it me rating Phrenology as an A+ pick? 🤔

And definitely not a paid VMP hype person. I’d admit that, if that was the case!

Nothing against the Roots, but I'll cast the first vote for Shabaka. Granted, he doesn't have the same exposure as The Roots, so you are surely correct that Phrenology would get the most votes. Does that equate to one being better than the other...or, as you generally put it...that one defecates on the other? Not a chance.

Last edited:
The dude just apologized for that wording :/

As I read it, the apology was for the language being inappropriate, not for the strength/intent of the sentiment being expressed. I'll edit my comment, but it felt as though the original comment provided some useful context. The idea that music is some type of popularity contest, and that we should direct our spending accordingly, just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
As I read it, the apology was for the language being inappropriate, not for the strength/intent of the sentiment being expressed. I'll edit my comment, but it felt as though the original comment provided some useful context. The idea that music is some type of popularity contest, and that we should direct our spending accordingly, just rubs me the wrong way.

He's just an energetic, excited guy. He did also state how good Shabaka was in the same comment. After a month of people shitting on Salt-n-Pepa, I don't really read his comment as hating on Shabaka. Moreso (in his very Nathan way) trying to hype someone up for getting The Roots, since Shabaka was denied for them.

He's just an energetic, excited guy, he did state also how good Shabaka was in the same comment. After a month of people shitting on Salt-n-Pepa, I don't really read his comment as hating on Shabaka. Moreso (in his very Nathan way) trying to hype someone up for getting The Roots, since Shabaka was denied for them.

You're probably right. To be honest, VMP hype is just entirely lost on me at this point. @NathanRicaud sorry if I misread your intent. Assuming the hype parade must continue, carry on!

You're probably right. To be honest, VMP hype is just entirely lost on me at this point. @NathanRicaud sorry if I misread your intent. Assuming the hype parade must continue, carry on!

I hear ya. I've probably bought more from them than almost anyone on here but I'm beyond fed up with them. They give me way more stress than enjoyment at this point. Still, it's nice to see someone like Nathan who can still get excited for new releases and phase out the awful business running part.

Last edited:
Man you guys, being a member seems like a ton of work and very time consuming. All over some pretty bland variants? Back in the day VMP was actually fun, not just getting new records but enjoyable to follow and exciting watch the releases. Maybe it still is but from the outside looking in just looks like a huge headache.

Are you even excited anymore by the time you receive what you are supposed to?
I know this is the case for a lot of people - pretty much all my interest in VMP as a club (rather than as a store) ended when they shut the forums down. Nothing petty, it was more that they just kinda shut themselves off from the "core" community and went for the more external community instead, like literally all stores do.

My membership expires on May 1. I'm honestly heartbroken that it ended like this, with months of issues and problems. I really hope they succeed and I feel excited to rejoin the club someday.

Guys, ol' Nate is an enthusiastic character, but cmon, Phrenology is a damn masterpiece.
So is that Shabaka. I know he didn't mean to put down anyone, but reading that an album shits on a freakin spiritual masterpiece made me lose my temper for a second. I mean, everyone is entitled to like whatever they want, but I think the lesser popularity of Shabaka (when compared to Roots) shouldn't keep anyone from acknowledging the tremendous artistic endeavor that WASHBH is.

Guys, ol' Nate is an enthusiastic character, but cmon, Phrenology is a damn masterpiece.
Yeah I get the personal opinion aspect, but Phrenology is a widely critically acclaimed classic from one of the best and most universally-respected acts in hip-hop history, it's hardly sacrilege to say it's better than another album. And I'm sure not a single person here actually holds any ill will towards that Shabaka record, it's just a figure of speech

On another note; I got an email last night saying that my request to swap for Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow was denied. Checked my account today, and my May record is going to be... Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow. I'd be really happy right now, if I had ANY reason to be confident that I'll end up getting it. Really glad they destroyed the website for three months so that we could go from "automated and easy swap system that's buggy and unreliable" to "tediously filling out a manual swap request form so that they can be individually processed one by one... that's buggy and unreliable"

sorry to jump in mid-swap issue furor, but did these goofs ever bother to send any sort of communication out regarding the delay of the art blakey exclusive? i imagine not everyone knows about RTIs closure, right?
I emailed a list of my pre-orders and asked them to put an expected date next to each one. Pauly for back to me and said that the Art Blakey is a September release. Not sure if that's changed, his response was sent to me a week ago.

Yeah I get the personal opinion aspect, but Phrenology is a widely critically acclaimed classic from one of the best and most universally-respected acts in hip-hop history, it's hardly sacrilege to say it's better than another album. And I'm sure not a single person here actually holds any ill will towards that Shabaka record, it's just a figure of speech

From what I'm gathering from this whole thing, while remaining as removed as I could until now, it might not be the fact that he's saying that the Roots "shits on" the Shabaka album, but that, unfortunately, coming from Nathan, it can come across exactly as @agutierrezb stated.

Nathan, this kind of hot and totally incorrect takes, added to your free VMP subscription, make it seem like you're a paid VMP hype man.

There's no tact in that statement, which kind of "shits on" the Shabaka album that @uvwxVinyl wanted. I get that it wasn't meant to and, apparently he apologized for the wording, but there's very little tact in that. Also, it's just another in an endless stream of situations where somebody had something justifiably upsetting happen to them at the hands of VMP and Nathan -- or somebody else -- pops up to explain to them how them getting shafted is actually for their own good. Again, maybe that's well intentioned, but it's not always going to land the best. At this point, history should indicate that, a lot of the time, it's just going to piss people off.

Do I have to accept that I will receive "All Mirrors" by Angel Olsen (I already own the aquamarine version from the Secretly Store) that Vinyl Me Please has chosen for me? Still no feedback and no change to my swap. I try to avoid online trolling and put the whole thing into perspective... But I am a little angry.

Have you tried using the swap form they sent out?

Yeah I get the personal opinion aspect, but Phrenology is a widely critically acclaimed classic from one of the best and most universally-respected acts in hip-hop history, it's hardly sacrilege to say it's better than another album.

While certainly not sacrilege, would you say that very strongly suggesting that it is better than another album is respectful to the "personal opinion" of others?

Back