Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

In the middle of all this, @Mather said "Son of a..." while @marshall ripped his heart right out of him because @marshall said he didn't know who @Mather was, either implying he had him on ignore, or implying that he never noticed him before.

The rest was a lof of "she bla bla bla"

"she shouldn't have bla bla"

"bla bla mad bla bla"

The usual, really.

EDIT: Oh, and Clint Howard tributes were easily the highlight.

Things like this are also a bad look

View attachment 29172

Meanwhile, some of us never got the Aretha record that we paid for and were ignored for weeks. How can anyone defend this company at this point? This isn’t cute at all. “Jokes” like this are not only tone deaf, it makes me realize that they don’t really get the severity of the situation. This is not something to joke about.

Meanwhile, some of us never got the Aretha record that we paid for and were ignored for weeks. How can anyone defend this company at this point? This isn’t cute at all. “Jokes” like this are not only tone deaf, it makes me realize that they don’t really get the severity of the situation. This is not something to joke about.

Exactly

Got my "Would You Recommend VMP To A Friend" e-mail. After giving my ZERO, here's my response:

A year or two ago, it would have been a different story. I even recommended you to people in the past.

This last year, though... well, yeah.

First of all, I don't believe that shutting down the forum was anything other than trying to prevent negative information from being spread about VMP in the wake of what was the then-pending first Anthology Box Set. My guess is that you didn't want potential new customers to be wary of you because of negative feedback about things being oversold, misprinted, grainy jacket photos, etc. The problem is that you "solved" the problem at the expense of your community, and (guess what!) it would have been WAYYYYY more professional of you to fix the PROBLEMS instead of trying to silence your (rightly unsatisfied) customers.

Second, your CEO's comment about "what would (we) do with more time" was the most insensitive, tone-deaf thing I heard all year, and I own almost everything associated with Half Japanese. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt at the time, as he meant it more like "I hear what you're saying, what would the benefit of more time be for you?" ...see that? In seconds, I crafted something 100% kinder.

Third, getting rid of the curation part of your store left a bad taste in my mouth. I realize over time that the shift was more toward an exclusives kind of thing (like Newbury) as opposed to being "store-like," but I still miss it.

Fourth, the dramatic delays. When I order your exclusives now, I have no idea if they are going to come in the month they were advertised as. Furthermore, I am not a fan of how inconsistent you are with shipping things out. Some months I received my package by the 11th, some closer to the 20th; I don't get it.

Fifth, your system for how you ship stuff out and to who makes ZERO sense. It would be nice if your company was more transparent about how you do it (alphabetically?), but you know what would be great? If you favored returning and long-time customers first. I have been a member since April '15 (Menomena) and it pisses me off when I see new members getting their things before me.

Sixth, your curation has raised my eyebrows more than once this year. Compared with previous years, it does not compare at all. Don't get me wrong, I loved most of what I received (and swapped out or outright cancelled where necessary), but the albums you've been picking are becoming more obvious and less adventurous. Example: how did you get from NoName (a wonderful then-unknown artist) and De La Soul (a white whale album at the time) to Juvenile? Really? Of all the great rap and hip-hop albums of the era, you pick one that is remembered for ONE song and the rest of the album is great in 30-second doses? I'm sure you stand by that pick, and you should, but I'm delighted that my money went toward getting something else that month (I ordered Flatbush Zombies from a competitor, if I'm being honest).

Lastly, I find it CONFOUNDING that you thought it would be a good idea to switch your online platforms at the HEIGHT of one of the busiest shopping and mailing times of the year. I waited for a month wondering if anything would arrive; unacceptable. I also am waiting to hear back on an inquiry that I made a month ago. [Don't bother, the issue resolved itself.] Your customer service was finally turning around, and then all of a sudden: radio silence for WEEEEEEKS at a time, all the while people are getting the wrong orders, people are having their orders cancelled, or (worst of all) customers are having their orders sent to other people.

And if there's one unforgivable thing: the last friend I recommended to join your company has consistently had her orders messed up for almost three months now.

I cannot in good conscience recommend your company to even one more person until these issues are resolved.

Use more reliable pressing plants.
Put repeat customers first.
Hire more shipping and customer service representatives.
Be more transparent.
Be more consistent.

Just... be better.

Last edited:
Got my "Would You Recommend VMP To A Friend" e-mail. Here's my response:

A year or two ago, it would have been a different story. I even recommended you to people in the past.

This last year, though... well, yeah.

First of all, I don't believe that shutting down the forum was anything other than trying to prevent negative information from being spread about VMP in the wake of what was the then-pending first Anthology Box Set. My guess is that you didn't want potential new customers to be wary of you because of negative feedback about things being oversold, misprinted, grainy jacket photos, etc. The problem is that you "solved" the problem at the expense of your community, and (guess what!) it would have been WAYYYYY more professional of you to fix the PROBLEMS instead of trying to silence your (rightly unsatisfied) customers.

Second, your CEO's comment about "what would (we) do with more time" was the most insensitive, tone-deaf thing I heard all year, and I own almost everything associated with Half Japanese. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt at the time, as he meant it more like "I hear what you're saying, what would the benefit of more time be for you?" ...see that? In seconds, I crafted something 100% kinder.

Third, getting rid of the curation part of your store left a bad taste in my mouth. I realize over time that the shift was more toward an exclusives kind of thing (like Newbury) as opposed to being "store-like," but I still miss it.

Fourth, the dramatic delays. When I order your exclusives now, I have no idea if they are going to come in the month they were advertised as. Furthermore, I am not a fan of how inconsistent you are with shipping things out. Some months I received my package by the 11th, some closer to the 20th; I don't get it.

Fifth, your system for how you ship stuff out and to who makes ZERO sense. It would be nice if your company was more transparent about how you do it (alphabetically?), but you know what would be great? If you favored returning and long-time customers first. I have been a member since April '15 (Menomena) and it pisses me off when I see new members getting their things before me.

Sixth, your curation has raised my eyebrows more than once this year. Compared with previous years, it does not compare at all. Don't get me wrong, I loved most of what I received (and swapped out or outright cancelled where necessary), but the albums you've been picking are becoming more obvious and less adventurous. Example: how did you get from NoName (a wonderful then-unknown artist) and De La Soul (a white whale album at the time) to Juvenile? Really? Of all the great rap and hip-hop albums of the era, you pick one that is remembered for ONE song and the rest of the album is great in 30-second doses? I'm sure you stand by that pick, and you should, but I'm delighted that my money went toward getting something else that month (I ordered Flatbush Zombies from a competitor, if I'm being honest).

Lastly, I find it CONFOUNDING that you thought it would be a good idea to switch your online platforms at the HEIGHT of one of the busiest shopping and mailing times of the year. I waited for a month wondering if anything would arrive; unacceptable. I also am waiting to hear back on an inquiry that I made a month ago. [Don't bother, the issue resolved itself.] Your customer service was finally turning around, and then all of a sudden: radio silence for WEEEEEEKS at a time, all the while people are getting the wrong orders, people are having their orders cancelled, or (worst of all) customers are having their orders sent to other people.

And if there's one unforgivable thing: the last friend I recommended to join your company has consistently had her orders messed up for almost three months now.

I cannot in good conscience recommend your company to even one more person until these issues are resolved.

Use more reliable pressing plants.
Put repeat customers first.
Hire more shipping and customer service representatives.
Be more transparent.
Be more consistent.

Just... be better.
The pick of Juvenile for RHH was like the least of their problems for 2019. Its actually a great album that was in need of rerelease. If you wanted to discuss one of the many just color variants released in that sub that would have been a better complaint.

Back