Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Another swap bummer...I asked if I could swap Aretha for something not in the swap list...here is what I got.

Thanks for reaching out! So unfortunately we are unable to process manual swaps due to the system migration. The only titles available for swaps are the titles listed on the swaps page. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Let us know if you have any other questions or if you need anything else.
Jason
Customer Support Agent
Vinyl Me, Please

Easy there with that attitude you might be mistaken a vmp employee

Tldr - they migrated their online platform during the busiest retail season of the year without really knowing/caring for what consequences it would have and then go on Reddit and say they have a few issues but they'll do better next time.
I think "We'll Do Better Next Time" should replace "The Best Damn Record Club" on the mailers.......................NO, TONY, STOP, STOP, STOP!

LOL ;)

Someone said that pulling the plug on the old forum was the start of a downward spiral for VMP.
I can't remember who that was but, man, what a prophecy, each month things get worse.

The downward spiral was already in effect. Pulling the plug was just an attempt to mask it and silence those pointing it out

Damn, was going to send in an email about Caribou - Swim here shortly. 😞

That’s exactly what I asked to swap in place of Aretha. Then again...you might get a different answer. ;)

The question then: is this not possible while the migration continues and finalizes OR with this new system it doesn't work this way at all?

I sent a follow-up asking if this is solely related to the “migration” or a policy update/change moving forward.

Until then...pins and needles.

I think "We'll Do Better Next Time" should replace "The Best Damn Record Club" on the mailers.......................NO, TONY, STOP, STOP, STOP!

LOL ;)

I have a better suggestion

32b4229145de0a2c1171b9b5757f25dfaa1bbf7b9be0b687be4dd5aec76a34d6.jpg

Another swap bummer...I asked if I could swap Aretha for something not in the swap list...here is what I got.
I got this same answer. I responded with something like "well how do we get Caribou, or Beck, or a range of other exclusives added to the swaps page. How can we get better options are why are so many excluded?

Because if all we get is 3 month or older garbage.... well that is just another thing for me to think about.

Given how much the swap selection has historically mutated over the week or so you get to swap (or three days, whatever it is now), it is absolutely ridiculous that you can no longer change your mind. But I guess it was pretty inevitable, given the apparent feeling at VMP is to screw people over and over again.

Given how much the swap selection has historically mutated over the week or so you get to swap (or three days, whatever it is now), it is absolutely ridiculous that you can no longer change your mind. But I guess it was pretty inevitable, given the apparent feeling at VMP is to screw people over and over again.

Definitely. I posted one of my trademark rants over on reddit, fully expecting those fucks to downvote me through the ground like usual, but the opposite happened. I have to take that as a sign that people over there are finally getting pissed, now.

Storf tried to "explain" that the intention with locking people into swaps is to "avoid overselling" which makes absolutely ZERO fucking sense.

EDIT:
Big shift on reddit. Storf is getting downvoted like a fool and someone actually gave me "platinum," which I didn't even know was a thing

Last edited:
Storf tried to "explain" that the intention with locking people into swaps is to "avoid overselling" which makes absolutely ZERO fucking sense.
So this is probably the one thing that at least makes some sense to me. I imagine the fluctuating inventory was always a pain in the ass so this will in theory stop some of that. The issue for me is that this fluctuating inventory often meant that like two copies of an album everyone wants (e.g. Blossom Dearie, or Demon Days before the repress) would sometimes just show up and be available to swap for. Now if that happens you're just out of luck, since even if you email CS, chances are someone else will have pinched it.

Man, I really want to love VMP. I miss the days of TBTs, Clay's dumb ROTM clues, being really excited to work out what the new records were going to be. But I just constantly feel like they're dumbing down the experience and essentially just becoming another Sound of Vinyl, where it's just $40 albums everywhere and pretty much zero community interaction.

So this is probably the one thing that at least makes some sense to me. I imagine the fluctuating inventory was always a pain in the ass so this will in theory stop some of that. The issue for me is that this fluctuating inventory often meant that like two copies of an album everyone wants (e.g. Blossom Dearie, or Demon Days before the repress) would sometimes just show up and be available to swap for. Now if that happens you're just out of luck, since even if you email CS, chances are someone else will have pinched it.

Man, I really want to love VMP. I miss the days of TBTs, Clay's dumb ROTM clues, being really excited to work out what the new records were going to be. But I just constantly feel like they're dumbing down the experience and essentially just becoming another Sound of Vinyl, where it's just $40 albums everywhere and pretty much zero community interaction.

I mean, that's been established for a LOOONG time. And I know that you know that, but your comment reflects a lot. You, like so many others do and have in the past, have given them the benefit of the doubt at a level they absolutely have not earned. That's not a knock against you or any of us, it's just to point out how fucked it is when we're attacked for asking a question or questioning an answer. Everybody has tried really hard. Some have even begged them not to do this shit. But that's what N&G is. It's the resilience of a community and evidence that they don't create the community, we do. If they have an exclusive you want and you don't get trapped into some contract you can't live with, that's great. Otherwise, fuck em.

WTF ?

Vinyl Me, Please Dog Collar

This reminds me a failing franchise of a chain restaurant I worked for one summer--they started out selling a few tchotchkes at the cash register, and when I stopped by a few months after quitting they had like, 6 of those spinning displays of all kinds of kitschy crap.
Just say you want to cancel the order. I don’t see how they could possibly say no.
I love the idea that they're organized enough to know if someone re-orders a cancelled item with a coupon code.

Do I remember correctly that about this time last year you went months without them sending you anything despite having a few pretty big boxes paid up?

Yip. And the wait for CS response was 17 days or so. They haven’t learnt. Speak with your wallets. 30% there off is still regularly priced in most shops. The quality control isn’t up to it.

Back