Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I think I'm gonna bite on Jamila Woods for my June box before it sells out.

I'd like to throw in Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow as I'm starting to get into Jazz a bit more. Anyone have any thoughts on this pressing? I'll probably wait until June ROTM's are announced before I decide if my wallet can handle it.

Fantastic pressing, probably my favorite of the Blue Note exclusives. Looks and sounds great.

I think I'm gonna bite on Jamila Woods for my June box before it sells out.

I'd like to throw in Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow as I'm starting to get into Jazz a bit more. Anyone have any thoughts on this pressing? I'll probably wait until June ROTM's are announced before I decide if my wallet can handle it.
Both the Jamila (though mine is warped and has a cosmetic issue as well) and Byrd sound great.

Incidentally in speculating of things to come, during a random Twitter conversation with Storf earlier today, he heavily implied VMP would be doing something related to Richmond, Virginia later this year.

I know that doesn't mean jack squat to 99% of you, but having come of age in #RVA that town's music scene is amazing and varied. Only in Richmond could a band like GWAR co-exist with the rise of Pat Benatar. I was college roommates with a jazz musician, so I'm particularly fond of that music scene. There's just a whole lot going on there.

As for VMP, Natalie Prass is a Richmond gal, and more recently (albeit originating from the 1970s) we have Oneness of Juju.

So I'm always excited for more Richmond love. Two ideal VMP candidates from the hip hop side of things would be beatmakers DJ Harrison (currently signed with Stones Throw) and Ohbliv (just had an album released from Fat Beats and was the subject of me and Storf's Twitter conversation)

Incidentally in speculating of things to come, during a random Twitter conversation with Storf earlier today, he heavily implied VMP would be doing something related to Richmond, Virginia later this year.

I know that doesn't mean jack squat to 99% of you, but having come of age in #RVA that town's music scene is amazing and varied. Only in Richmond could a band like GWAR co-exist with the rise of Pat Benatar. I was college roommates with a jazz musician, so I'm particularly fond of that music scene. There's just a whole lot going on there.

As for VMP, Natalie Prass is a Richmond gal, and more recently (albeit originating from the 1970s) we have Oneness of Juju.

So I'm always excited for more Richmond love. Two ideal VMP candidates from the hip hop side of things would be beatmakers DJ Harrison (currently signed with Stones Throw) and Ohbliv (just had an album released from Fat Beats and was the subject of me and Storf's Twitter conversation)

New D’Angelo?

New D’Angelo?

Could be! Honestly I kind of hope it's my old roommate's current band, a folk-rock act named Luray. They recorded an album a while back and were looking for a way to distribute it and a few months ago he wondered aloud how to drop a line on VMP. I mentioned Natalie Prass just had an exclusive with them and he replied, "Oh sweet, I'm friends with her," so maybe she hooked him up with a connection. 😇

Could be! Honestly I kind of hope it's my old roommate's current band, a folk-rock act named Luray. They recorded an album a while back and were looking for a way to distribute it and a few months ago he wondered aloud how to drop a line on VMP. I mentioned Natalie Prass just had an exclusive with them and he replied, "Oh sweet, I'm friends with her," so maybe she hooked him up with a connection. 😇

Nice, I'd love to hear it. Lucy Dacus is Richmond too right? She's a big fave of mine.

Awesome, RVA is my hometown so I’m curious to see what comes of this - there are so many directions this could go.

Awesome, RVA is my hometown so I’m curious to see what comes of this - there are so many directions this could go.

Getting those Juju records and seeing photos of them playing at VCU in the liner notes gave me fuzzy, nostalgic feelings of my days living in Downtown. I still try and visit there a couple times of year to see a jazz gig.

Holy shit, what is with this pricing? $25 on OME's tour, and $18 on discogs. Wtf are they doing?

I've tried to think through what they might be doing, but little makes sense. Their amount of available selections is quite low, so the only thing I could think of is they really want to incite people to get what they want by getting a subscription/additional side-subs (via swaps). If a few people want to buy at the high price, great, but in that scenario they just don't care about selling the ROTMs outside of subs - they're banking that subs is where the money is.

All this breaks down when people can just go on another site to get what they want.

Back