Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Low End Theory sold out as soon as it became available.

Here's my thoughts on this at the end of the day:

If you're going only going to have a small handful of these titles available, don't put them in the restocks unless you're going to ACTUALLY restock. You're just going to piss off 100s of customers to make only a few happy.
restock does not mean repress. so if they have extra copies of a former exclusive they should just not sell them? i truly don't know what they are supposed to do. people will get angry either way when they miss out on something.

i get it. it sucks to miss out on stuff. i probably had 4 or 5 titles i wanted that were gone immediately. but your solution seems to be just not to sell them, which is never gonna happen.

I just signed up for VMP for the first time 2 months ago. This was my first drop I wanted some stuff in. Luckily I read these forums and knew what I was in for. Was doing a bunch of calculations on the $150 sale only to find out pretty much everything had to go one by one.

Really wanted that Booker T so secured that individually first. Pretty excited to add that to the collection. Only way I found it was typing in "Christmas". Was going to buy that Soulful Strings too but might wait that out now, it also seems to have weird shipping requirements.

Exciting and frustrating all rolled into one.LOL
the christmas records that were announced recently weirdly can't be bundled with other items. they are set to ship immediately so people can get them before christmas.

Hear me out.

Loyalty program. Everyone gets a certain number of points per track/store purchase. X points gets you an entry into a hat for whichever item you're interested in. Your name is drawn, you get the opportunity to buy it for x days. If you choose to pass, another person is drawn. Repeat until it's gone.

i get it. it sucks to miss out on stuff. i probably had 4 or 5 titles i wanted that were gone immediately. but your solution seems to be just not to sell them, which is never gonna happen.
My solution isn't to just not sell them.
There's got to be a better way is what I'm saying.
Like, hang on to them and have extra when you want to do a proper restock/repress (Tribe will most definitely get repressed at some point).

Someone suggested a restock "raffle", that could also be a great idea: put your name in, you get selected you have 24 hours to purchase or it goes to a new person.

I don't know, there's some middle ground to be had here. Hyping up a bunch of in demand titles and having a ton of people met with OOS messaging midway through checkout is pretty shitty. Like ticketmaster level shitty.

Just my $0.02 that what happened today is pretty frustrating for more users than it's making happy.

Also if random reddit user is to be believed they were quick enough to buy THREE copies of Djo in order to flip them. If that's true then they really need to limit purchase amounts because that's pretty scummy.

That means 3 customers missed out because some dude wants to make a quick buck (remember these are selling for like $400 a pop).

Like, hang on to them and have extra when you want to do a proper restock/repress (Tribe will most definitely get repressed at some point).

Someone suggested a restock "raffle", that could also be a great idea: put your name in, you get selected you have 24 hours to purchase or it goes to a new person.

I don't know, there's some middle ground to be had here. Hyping up a bunch of in demand titles and having a ton of people met with OOS messaging midway through checkout is pretty shitty. Like ticketmaster level shitty.

Just my $0.02 that what happened today is pretty frustrating for more users than it's making happy.
Actually, looking back on how this all went off the rails I think there's an even easier solution to this.

Don't advertise what titles are coming. Just say there's a TBT, and there will be over 50 titles and leave it at that.

You don't create insane amounts of demand for titles that will be OOS within a second. You don't draw the flippers to the site in advance to snag titles that go for hundreds on the secondary market. People will be more pleasantly surprised that a sought after title is up for grabs, than disappointed they waited for two days and didn't get one. People will be still disappointed for missing out, but not as much as if they knew it was coming, waited and then found there was only a small quantity available.

I think the hype of the titles is more the problem, than the quantity they got.

i agree with you on the ROTMs but they cannot relicense everything and keep everything in print for a variety of reasons. lots of people (not you) seem to think that VMP can just hit a repress button and magically press as many copies of any album they have done in the past. i also see lots of people mixing up "repress" and "Restock". adding more copies, no matter how few, is a restock. none of these were represses. the number they have is the number they have.

Actually, looking back on how this all went off the rails I think there's an even easier solution to this.

Don't advertise what titles are coming. Just say there's a TBT, and there will be over 50 titles and leave it at that.

You don't create insane amounts of demand for titles that will be OOS within a second. You don't draw the flippers to the site in advance to snag titles that go for hundreds on the secondary market. People will be more pleasantly surprised that a sought after title is up for grabs, than disappointed they waited for two days and didn't get one. People will be still disappointed for missing out, but not as much as if they knew it was coming, waited and then found there was only a small quantity available.

they used to not list the titles. and people complained that either they waited up until 4AM just to see nothing they wanted, or didn't wait up and then some record they really wanted dropped and they missed it. i do agree here though--the hype this time around with so many big titles is a huge part of why there's so much backlash this time around.

As an aside did that James Booker - Classified ever sell out to begin with? I'm pretty sure it has been banished to the VMP's sale page for two years at this point, I think they were trying to sneak it in there in hopes of getting some FOMO sales.

As an aside did that James Booker - Classified ever sell out to begin with? I'm pretty sure it has been banished to the VMP's sale page for two years at this point, I think they were trying to sneak it in there in hopes of getting some FOMO sales.
yea don't think that ever sold out. but people are sleeping on that other James Booker...it's a killer record and likely to never be repressed by VMP since it never really sold well.

They normally don't. Throwback Thursday does fine on its own, it doesn't need help.

Y’all are funny this doesn’t even register as a shit show to me. Back in the day the site would crash while you were checking out on a drop day and instead of rescheduling the drop it would just randomly go live when it was stable later and that thing you wanted would be sold out when you found out minutes after it went live again. This is just TBT.

they used to not list the titles. and people complained that either they waited up until 4AM just to see nothing they wanted, or didn't wait up and then some record they really wanted dropped and they missed it. i do agree here though--the hype this time around with so many big titles is a huge part of why there's so much backlash this time around.
At the end of the day the higher the expectation, the higher the disappointment. If I went into this with lower expectations then I think I would've been less disappointed than KNOWING that a couple of titles I want are going to be available, refreshing like crazy, adding them to the cart only to find out they sold out mid checkout.

If I simply knew there was a TBT I would've still refreshed up to the drop time, but would've been more "haha I guess they only had like 2 copies of {insert title here}" than annoyed that they hyped up "we have {insert title here} coming on Thursday" only to be shafted.

At the end of the day the higher the expectation, the higher the disappointment. If I went into this with lower expectations then I think I would've been less disappointed than KNOWING that a couple of titles I want are going to be available, refreshing like crazy, adding them to the cart only to find out they sold out mid checkout.

If I simply knew there was a TBT I would've still refreshed up to the drop time, but would've been more "haha I guess they only had like 2 copies of {insert title here}" than annoyed that they hyped up "we have {insert title here} coming on Thursday" only to be shafted.
The whole point is to drive traffic to the site through fomo. Plenty of people didn’t get what they wanted but bought some random thing anyhow.

VMP doesn’t care if you are disappointed. They don’t care if you like their business model. They want your money and that’s really it.

Back