Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I'm in the camp that people spend hundreds on a overrated paper weight, so surely there are folks willing to spend that on a plastic ripper. Couple that with the small overlap of those who collect vinyl AND knives, and baby, you got a stew goin'
At least a record weight is actually a specialized product with a purpose. The function of this gewgaw can be fulfilled by almost anything.

the small overlap of those who collect vinyl AND knives
That’s me. Well, kinda. I collect pocket knives not like samurai swords and shit like that. The problem with this knife (besides the insane price) is the specialization of its design that makes it less useful than most knives. folks have called it an overly expensive box cutter but TBH, it’s not even big enough to be an effective tool to break down a box, it’s too small. It also would not work well as an exact-o knife replacement as it would not be nearly as maneuverable.

The best comp/tool this VMP knife compares with is a letter opener with a sharper edge. They make fancy letter openers too so there is probably a market for this but it feels like a product a precious few would pay up for.

That’s me. Well, kinda. I collect pocket knives not like samurai swords and shit like that. The problem with this knife (besides the insane price) is the specialization of its design that makes it less useful than most knives. folks have called it an overly expensive box cutter but TBH, it’s not even big enough to be an effective tool to break down a box, it’s too small. It also would not work well as an exact-o knife replacement as it would not be nearly as maneuverable.

The best comp/tool this VMP knife compares with is a letter opener with a sharper edge. They make fancy letter openers too so there is probably a market for this but it feels like a product a precious few would pay up for.
I have to think that serious knife collectors would also be looking for something made in the US, Germany, Japan, etc. - not something made in China.

In vinyl terms, this is like a $50 WaxTime pressing.

Did VMP hire a small group of comedy writers to come up with marketing ideas?
As someone who lived in Louisville, CO (where the VMP owner lives) and does generally like Boulder, this whole knife thing just reeks of the typical Boulder area pretentiousness that can and does run wild up there. This is the $12K Yeti bike on top of the $5K 30 year old Subaru Outback move.

I have to think that serious knife collectors would also be looking for something made in the US, Germany, Japan, etc. - not something made in China.

In vinyl terms, this is like a $50 WaxTime pressing.
Very true. I looked up the steel used, AR-RPM9 and it’s a a new proprietary steel developed some company called Artisan designed for budget blades. Not familiar with it myself but it sounds like it’s nothing spectacular (but you wouldn’t need high qualifications steel to cut through shrink wrap).

Well, I'm back for all 4 tracks.

If only there was a tool that I could buy to open those tear open packages.

Back