Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

View attachment 107671

Holy shit. They finally did it. I've been bugging VMP for a while now about releasing some MMW. The first 4 albums + Tonic would have been my preference, but these will more than suffice. RKS remasters from original tapes and RTI is an unexpected bonus. Pricing is ridiculous, but I can't say no.

A hundred dollars for two fucking albums. C'mon, son.
I agree, it is a lot money! VMP very well knows what original pressings of these albums go for on the secondary market.

But, to provide some context relative to the price points, we can compare it to the recent Blue Note Tone Poet series. There have only been a couple Blue Note Tone Poet releases that were 2xLPs, and I think they retailed for about $40 to $45.

So, these MMWs (also Blue Note records) aren't too far off in price if you are a member. Both the Tone Poets and MMWs are pressed at RTI from original tapes, and have solid specs (TP = Kevin Gray; MMW = Ryan Sterling). At least that is how I am rationalizing it. You are paying an upcharge of $5 to $10 for a color variant and free shipping (and no sales tax where I live).

I've been after Uninvisible for some time, and OG copies are like $100 - $200, so this was a instant purchase for me, with a $15 credit.

Hopefully Blue Note will repress all the MMW titles on their label. It's overdue.

Ooh, Medeski, Martin & Wood albums! Gonna go and add those to my shopping cart right no--

*sees $50 price for members*

Whelp, I'm done everyone. Throwing my turntable out the window and setting fire to my record collection. It was a good hobby while it lasted.
Pass me the gasoline when you’re done. That’s madness!

If I were to get one of the MMW albums Which should I get?

I like Uninvisible better.

My MMW rankings would be:

1 - Friday Afternoon
2 - It's a Jungle...
3 - Tonic
4 - Uninvisible
5 - Shack-man
6 - Notes from the Underground
7 - End of the World
8 - Combustication
9 - Out Louder
10 - The Dropper

Love that there are finally MMW reissues, but $50? I guess I'll just listen to my CDs.

If I were to get one of the MMW albums Which should I get? Ryan Smith master and pressed at RTI is really getting me to check these out.
Uninvisible is more straight forward and serves as a good entry point for this period of MMW. The Dropper is more experimental and a more challenging (but rewarding) listen. To each their own, but definitely give both a stream to decide.

I like Uninvisible better.

My MMW rankings would be:

1 - Friday Afternoon
2 - It's a Jungle...
3 - Tonic
4 - Uninvisible
5 - Shack-man
6 - Notes from the Underground
7 - End of the World
8 - Combustication
9 - Out Louder
10 - The Dropper

Love that there are finally MMW reissues, but $50? I guess I'll just listen to my CDs.
I was in High School when Combustication was released and it was the inclusion of DJ Logic that It piqued my interest at all. I was not into Jazz or really much instrumental music in general but was starting to get into jam bands at the time and MMW was big in those circles. The idea of a DJ made the whole thing much more palatable to me. I still have a soft spot for the DJ Logic albums because of it.

Back