Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Hmmm MM&W... I've heard OF them, but never actually heard them before.

-goes to Spotify-
-plays Uninvisible-

OHHHHH, they're 1990's Steely Dan!

Cool. Coool cool coo-

-throws phone in lake-
You may enjoy their stuff with DJ Logic…

You may not too but you wouldn’t put it in the same realm as Steely Dan. Though “Peg” and “Black Cow” have both been sampled nicely in hip-hop songs so may it is still Appropriate, who knows.

It’s not completely apt but I think MMW reminds me more of Tortoise than anything.

Goddamn. And this just reinforces VMP price points. Sucks, man.
I think the price for these Medeski, Martin & Wood exclusives and very reasonable! The 2xLP are cut from the original tapes and pressed at RTI and are remastered by Ryan Sterling on 180g coloured vinyl!

I hope Uninvisible sells out within the next few weeks! I like high quality sounding pressing and am happy paying more if we get awesome exclusives like Uninvisible!

I think the price for these Medeski, Martin & Wood exclusives and very reasonable! The 2xLP are cut from the original tapes and pressed at RTI and are remastered by Ryan Sterling on 180g coloured vinyl!

I hope Uninvisible sells out within the next few weeks! I like high quality sounding pressing and am happy paying more if we get awesome exclusives like Uninvisible!
Nah, they are at least $10 to $15 overpriced (probably more like $20) they might sound fantastic (though given VMP recent history they could be shit too) VMP rarely puts out a product that rivals AP or MoFi but $50 are definitely Audiophile prices. The market is what it is though and as long as people keep paying crazy prices these companies are going to see how far they can push it.

Hmmm MM&W... I've heard OF them, but never actually heard them before.

-goes to Spotify-
-plays Uninvisible-

OHHHHH, they're 1990's Steely Dan!

Cool. Coool cool coo-

-throws phone in lake-
giphy (1).gif

MMW falls somewhere in the acid jazz realm and is strictly instrumental, and very experimental with lengthy improvisations in a live setting. Steely Dan is essentially a calculated studio band. Honestly, they couldn't be farther apart.

Last edited:
View attachment 107704

MMW falls somewhere in the acid jazz realm and is strictly instrumental, and very experimental with lengthy improvisations in a live setting. Steely Dan is essentially a calculated studio band. Honestly, they couldn't be farther apart.

Hang on a sec. isn’t acid jazz essentially club music? A type of house music that was popular in the Hacienda and the like in the late 80s?

Yeah, if there are some Standard copies that become available for less than $30 I would consider picking em up but The Dropper was the last album of theirs I really cared about. No reason to FOMO into this.

View attachment 107704

Indeed. Their earlier albums especially are really great. I saw them live a couple times and watching them interact musically and feed off each other was pretty amazing. That said, I ain't paying no 50 bucks for those reissues. Sorry VMP.

Hang on a sec. isn’t acid jazz essentially club music? A type of house music that was popular in the Hacienda and the like in the late 80s?
Not entirely sure about the origins of the genre acid jazz, but I've always associated it with more avant-garde, psychedelic, noisy, sort of groovy jazz. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways, MMW is definitely somewhere in the jazz realm just not sure where to place them, I suppose.

They’re essentially the same thing, no?

That’d always have been known as acid jazz over here.
They both use “acid” as an adjective. House music and jazz music are pretty different over here. Acid implies a psychedelic nature to the music so in that regard they would be similar. I could also imagine an Acid House DJ spinning some Acid Jazz.

They both use “acid” as an adjective. House music and jazz music are pretty different over here. Acid implies a psychedelic nature to the music so in that regard they would be similar. I could also imagine an Acid House DJ spinning some Acid Jazz.

I think it’s just differences in labelling or perceptions across the ocean tbh.

"One major legacy of the genre was its influence on the jam band movement, with acid jazz proving a suitable medium for extended improvisation for acts such as Medeski, Martin and Wood[5] and The Greyboy Allstars.[19]"

I think we’re probably all correct all at once lol

Acid jazz consisted of two related movements. The first was based on records by disc jockeys and music producers who added percussion and electronic dance beats to jazz tracks from the 1960s and 1970s.[6] The second movement included groups who were influenced by these recordings and who emphasized a groove.

Back