Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I refuse to get my hopes up for the HH track anymore even if the early clues are promising. BUT. If Labcab really was Marcus Moore's first pick, then it may a sign of good things to come.
Here's what I saw that gave me that info:

Hope him saying this is more in line with my tastes than when storf said stuff like this. Otherwise will happily check out when my 3 months are up. Ha, maybe I shouldn't hope then.

Last edited:
Road to the Riches for 89
my guess is it might be biz markee or ton loc and that young MC album will be even more pointless a choice

Jezzy has classic album?? Since when?
fucking Kendrick shouted it out on the art of peer pressure, plus that album along with trap muzik and gucci manes tapes basically gave BIRTH to the modern trap sound

fucking Kendrick shouted it out on the art of peer pressure, plus that album along with trap muzik and gucci manes tapes basically gave BIRTH to the modern trap sound
This isn't the reply you think it is to give Jeezy any kind of credence, especially bringing Gucci into it. A single fleeting mention in a Kendrick track doesn't give it classic status either.

Looking at debut albums from both 89 and 94 I'm not ready to hype myself up...

Ok quickly,
1989:
G Rap & Polo "Road to Riches"
The DOC "No One Can Do It Better"
3rd Bass "The Cactus Album"
Gang Starr "No More Mr Nice Guy" (not my first choice for GS but it fits!)
Special Ed "Youngest in Charge"?
Jaz "Word to the Jaz" (closest we get to Jay-Z?)
Clearly I want Maestro Fresh Wes!!

1994: FUUUUUUCK....
Too many!!
For me: Saafir or Volume 10 or Yaggfu Front or Gravediggaz (last one probably not just for me)
Casual? Kurious? Jeru? OC? Craig Mack? Artifacts? M.O.P.? Keith Murray? Warren G?

See it's endless and I'm probably missing the answer!!!

Best day of the month, so much hope and so far from what mostly has been disappointed!!

Looking at debut albums from both 89 and 94 I'm not ready to hype myself up...

Ok quickly,
1989:
G Rap & Polo "Road to Riches"
The DOC "No One Can Do It Better"
3rd Bass "The Cactus Album"
Gang Starr "No More Mr Nice Guy" (not my first choice for GS but it fits!)
Special Ed "Youngest in Charge"?
Jaz "Word to the Jaz" (closest we get to Jay-Z?)
Clearly I want Maestro Fresh Wes!!

1994: FUUUUUUCK....
Too many!!
For me: Saafir or Volume 10 or Yaggfu Front or Gravediggaz (last one probably not just for me)
Casual? Kurious? Jeru? OC? Craig Mack? Artifacts? M.O.P.? Keith Murray? Warren G?

See it's endless and I'm probably missing the answer!!!

Best day of the month, so much hope and so far from what mostly has been disappointed!!
You know that VMP loves Prince Paul projects... for that reason, and because it's a very solid album, I'm thinking the 1989 album is going to be 3rd Bass - The Cactus Album.

I guess at least this quarter I can safely not get my hopes up on the usual underground hip hop albums I've been keeping my eye out for (Funcrusher Plus, Both Sides of the Brain, The Cold Vein, Dr. Octagonecologyst, Hell's Winter).

EDIT: I just realized that 4/5 albums are pretty much "1 degree or less of El-P/Def Jux".

Last edited:
Dr Octagon
I guess at least this quarter I can safely not get my hopes up on the usual underground hip hop albums I've been keeping my eye out for (Funcrusher Plus, Both Sides of the Brain, The Cold Vein, Dr. Octagonecologyst, Hell's Winter).

EDIT: I just realized that 4/5 albums are pretty much "1 degree or less of El-P/Def Jux".
Would love Dr Octagonecologyst. But I do think it got a reissue in the past couple years. A Def Jux box set would be đź’Ż

Back