Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

all i know is that a LOT of people are gonna swap for chance

i dunno if i will because i have a friend who actually likes the album who'd love it..

but i dunno if she'll give me her shipping address for privacy reasons

Link trick doesn't work until a few days before the announcement

Look, I'm not a Chance fan, but only because I've never listened to him. Is this album really that bad? I saw pretty mixed reactions from everyone here on release day, and I think Fantano was spouting some hyperbole to cause controversy.
No, it’s fine. It’s not his best album but it’s alright. It’s unfocused and overlong but it’s not garbage like the hyperbolic overreaction you are seeing. I think Pitchfork’s review was about dead on with its middling 6.9 rating.

Chance has basically spent the last 5 years in the limelight after capturing the cultural zeitgeist with “Acid Rap”. He basically oversaturated the market. He became less and less cool and interesting the more ubiquitous he became in popular culture. I mean, he has had Flamin’ Hot Doritos and Reeses peanut butter cup commercials in between doing voiceover for The Lion King and hosting episodes of SNL. Drake isn’t even out there as much as Chance has been. All that to say Chance’s cool cache is spent. The only way general public didn’t hate “The Big Day” would have been if it was a complete change up in style but that’s not what “The Big Day” is, it’s just a continuation of Coloring Book and Acid Rap. Which is fine, it just wasn’t enough to stave off those chomping at the bit to knock em off his high horse.

At this point, I figure Chance’s career will go one of two ways; either he will go the way of Will Smith and become more of an entertainer than a rapper or he will lay low for awhile then release a “comeback” album in a few years.

Appreciate all the Chance takes. I'll definitely try it out if it's the ROTM, and PIF it if I don't like it. That's what I did with OutKast and Method Man, and I loved both of those.

I agree that it's a big get for VMP, whether or not people think the album is good. I generally respect Fantano, but giving ANY album that isn't utter garbage a 0 is disgraceful. I doubt Chance has put out something comparable to, say, Corey Feldman's Angelic 2 The Core or Metallica/Lou Reed's Lulu.

Appreciate all the Chance takes. I'll definitely try it out if it's the ROTM, and PIF it if I don't like it. That's what I did with OutKast and Method Man, and I loved both of those.

I agree that it's a big get for VMP, whether or not people think the album is good. I generally respect Fantano, but giving ANY album that isn't utter garbage a 0 is disgraceful. I doubt Chance has put out something comparable to, say, Corey Feldman's Angelic 2 The Core or Metallica/Lou Reed's Lulu.
Oh WOW, Fantano gave Chance’s new album a 0/10? 😲

I would award Chance’s album 1.5/10. It’s garbage but damn.......a 0/10! That’s full on! 🤔

Lulu at least had better lyrics... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back