Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Just cause we were talking about RYM and the top album rankings there the other day and now people talking about Big Willie Style...music of that time/type makes me think of the halcyon days of Total Request Live. So...

The Top 10 most-requested videos of TRL:

10. Kelly Clarkson - Since You’ve Been Gone
9. OutKast - Hey Ya!
8. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
7. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
6. Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers
5. Good Charlotte - The Anthem
4. Usher (ft Luda/Lil Jon) - Yeah!
3. N’Sync - Bye Bye Bye
2. Backstreet Boys - Larger than Life
1. Backstreet Boys - Shape of My Heart

What did we learn today? That Backstreet Boys are pretty much the Radiohead of the TRL world!

🙋‍♂️

Seriously though, I don't think you're crazy. I do think you're struggling with Compulsive Buying Disorder. It's a real thing, look it up.
I think there may be a lot of people on here with this. They need to be careful if they ever get restless leg syndrome or Parkinson’s disease, as dopamine agonist medications can make the shopping addiction worse

Just cause we were talking about RYM and the top album rankings there the other day and now people talking about Big Willie Style...music of that time/type makes me think of the halcyon days of Total Request Live. So...

The Top 10 most-requested videos of TRL:

10. Kelly Clarkson - Since You’ve Been Gone
9. OutKast - Hey Ya!
8. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
7. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
6. Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers
5. Good Charlotte - The Anthem
4. Usher (ft Luda/Lil Jon) - Yeah!
3. N’Sync - Bye Bye Bye
2. Backstreet Boys - Larger than Life
1. Backstreet Boys - Shape of My Heart

What did we learn today? That Backstreet Boys are pretty much the Radiohead of the TRL world!
TRL shaped the start of all of my musical tastes

I think there may be a lot of people on here with this. They need to be careful if they ever get restless leg syndrome or Parkinson’s disease, as dopamine agonist medications can make the shopping addiction worse

I think you may be right. It’s good to take a step back from any vice and just go without for a few weeks or a month, just to know that you can if for no other reason. And if you can’t, no matter how much you justify it to yourself, get help.

I am post TRL.. I heard the classics like hey ya, since you been gone, yeah, and hollaback girl, but on the radio and didn't really see the era of music on TV beyond seeing some katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, and Bruno Mars videos

TRL shaped the start of all of my musical tastes
This is kinda true for me too. I was in HS when TRL started. At the time MTV was a big part of my musical input but TRL’s rise coincided with the rise of both Boy Bands, Mook Rock/Nu-Metal, Mall Punk, and Bling Rap, etc. None of which really appealed to my taste at that point. By the time I was at college I had completely abandoned TRL along with MTV as a whole (though I did regularly still watch MTV2 for a few years more).

Also, I was really happy when Tom Green’s “The Bum Bum Song” took the top spot.

Last edited:
This is kinda true for me too. I was in HS when TRL started. At the time MTV was a big part of my musical input but TRL’s rise coincided with the rise of both Boy Bands, Mook Rock/Nu-Metal, Mall Punk, and Bling Rap, etc. None of which really appealed to my taste at that point. By the time I was at college I had completely abandoned TRL along with MTV as a whole (though I did regularly still watch MTV2 for a few years more).

Though I was really happy when Tom Green’s “The Bum Bum Song” took the top spot.

Man, what a world we were living in at that time!

My son doesn’t know this yet, but he has the privilege of being able to say that he was born in the hospital that Tom Green put his bum on

I have that album somewhere in storage and haven't played it since the year it was released. "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" came on Sirius XM a couple of days ago and I don't think I could have changed the station fast enough. Even his old stuff with Jazzy Jeff I can't listen to anymore. If we're going to do with a 90s cheese album I'd be down for Kriss Kross over Will Smith.
The first cds my Little brother bought for himslef were Big willie Style and Be Here Now by Oasis. About Half a year later he started listening solely to metal for the next years. I can´t imagine how his Music taste had he decided for definitely Maybe and a de la Soul record.

I was watching this @ home sick. This was a great, glorious day.

I didn't have cable until '98, when I was a junior in high school.
BUT... I did have friends with MTV and VCR's and I bribed more than a few of them to tape 120 Minutes for me.

BUT... I did have friends with MTV and VCR's and I bribed more than a few of them to tape 120 Minutes for me.
Yes! 120 minutes with Matt Pinfield. Then later MTV2 had a similar show Subterranean hosted by Jim Shearer. Those were worth staying up for on Sunday nights!

Yes! 120 minutes with Matt Pinfield. Then later MTV2 had a similar show Subterranean hosted by Jim Shearer. Those were worth staying up for on Sunday nights!
I always appreciated Matt Pinfield. He wore his fandom on his sleeve and he was encyclopedic about the music he liked.

But he was no Jessie Camp

I always appreciated Matt Pinfield. He wore his fandom on his sleeve and he was encyclopedic about the music he liked.

But he was no Jessie Camp
For 120 minutes i would always have a pen and paper ready to note down artists to check out, pavement, sonic youth, tool, smashing pumpkns , deuswas ll stuff i heard there for the first time with no internet streaming and no radio stations playing indie or alt rock. Later, there was also a show on german musicchanel viva called wahwah

For 120 minutes i would always have a pen and paper ready to note down artists to check out, pavement, sonic youth, tool, smashing pumpkns , deuswas ll stuff i heard there for the first time with no internet streaming and no radio stations playing indie or alt rock. Later, there was also a show on german musicchanel viva called wahwah

viva 2 had some great shows. i remember before they shut down, they had a full day of the best episodes of each of their shows.
the 24 hours of Supreme were awesome. i taped all of it but i have no idea where that went

viva 2 had some great shows. i remember before they shut down, they had a full day of the best episodes of each of their shows.
the 24 hours of Supreme were awesome. i taped all of it but i have no idea where that went
I also liked metalla. Was not too much into metal but has a crush on yvonne ducksworth from jingo de lunch who was cohosting the show

Back