Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

looking at wikipedia for all hip hop albums in 2002 involving a group i find all these

State Property OST
The High & Mighty - Air Force 1
Non Phixion - Future is Now
Ying Yang Twins - Alley: The Return of the Ying Yang Twins
Twiztid - Mirror Mirror
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
The Outlaws - Neva Surrenda
People Under The Stairs - O.S.T
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
1200 Techniques - Choose One
Onyx - Bacdafucup part II
The Beatnuts - The Originators
Public Enemy - Revolverlution
Slum Village - Trinity (Past, Present, and Future)
Outlandish - Bread & Barrels of Water
Jurrassic 5 - Power in Numbers
The Streets - Original Pirate Material (Storf and Wikipedia only)
Jungle Brothers - All That We Do
Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz - King of Crunk
504 Boyz - Ballers

which is most likely for VMP to do

Oh man oh man oh MAN I hope they would do something as cool as Non Phixion.

Say what you will about the Yin Yang Twins but the fact that there was a time in the early 00s when both “Get Low” and “The Whisper Song” were in heavy rotation on US Top 40 terrestrial radio considering the lyrics of both this was quite a feat unto itself.

My wife is very big on independence and girl power... which is why I am so surprised that she loves "Whisper Song." And the masterpiece that is "Whistle While You Twerk."

This is the track I started with... not widely available until the Green Album after they were already defunct. Dig it!

That was actually on a single they released long before their first album.. probably their first 'big' single.

Also the fact that barely, if any, of Necro's samples are cleared leads me to believe that like PUTS, this is not a possibility for VMP

Was Nappy Roots big on MTV or something? Like.. I don't think I've ever heard a song by them before and the song posted is definitely not for me.. just curious where all this love is coming from?

Po Folks and Awww Naw were all over the radio, and the videos were all over MTV in the early 2000s. They definitely hit the mainstream in the US

Was Nappy Roots big on MTV or something? Like.. I don't think I've ever heard a song by them before and the song posted is definitely not for me.. just curious where all this love is coming from?
Yeah I know they got a bunch of air time on MTV in 2002. Supposedly they were the best selling hip-hop act in that year too. Awnaw and Po Folks definitely were played a lot on MTV and on the radio in Green Bay (probably Midwest in general) at least.

It was post 2000s so it was kind of a hit on MTV2 and they had a slower jam that if I recall got some radio AirPlay at the time. I think it was used a quasi- 9/11 tribute kinda thing. But they were hyped pretty big in general pop culture (RollingStone/SPIN, etc...) they had an interesting backstory there was almost a Wu-Tang-esque number of members if I recall and were from rural western Kentucky. Paired well with the Bubba Sparxxx type stuff that was out around the same time more rural south than dirty south.

It was post 2000s so it was kind of a hit on MTV2 and they had a slower jam that if I recall got some radio AirPlay at the time. I think it was used a quasi- 9/11 tribute kinda thing. But they were hyped pretty big in general pop culture (RollingStone/SPIN, etc...) they had an interesting backstory there was almost a Wu-Tang-esque number of members if I recall and were from rural western Kentucky. Paired well with the Bubba Sparxxx type stuff that was out around the same time more rural south than dirty south.

I knew the name and I'm pretty sure I read about them at the time but I guess I always thought they got relegated to like c-d-list No Limit/Cash Money-levels of 'fame'... like maybe regional at best. The idea that they were the best selling hip hop group of 2002 is kinda blowing my mind right now.

I knew the name and I'm pretty sure I read about them at the time but I guess I always thought they got relegated to like c-d-list No Limit/Cash Money-levels of 'fame'... like maybe regional at best. The idea that they were the best selling hip hop group of 2002 is kinda blowing my mind right now.
TBH, I was a fan at the time, probably one of the last few CDs I ever purchased and I am surprised to learn they had the best selling hip-hop album of 2002. I would guessed something from 50cent or Nelly.

EDIT: Get Rich or Die Tryin’ was 2003. Nellyville was 2002 though.

TBH, I was a fan at the time, probably one of the last few CDs I ever purchased and I am surprised to learn they had the best selling hip-hop album of 2002. I would guessed something from 50cent or Nelly.

EDIT: Get Rich or Die Tryin’ was 2003. Nellyville was 2002 though.

I think the key word was GROUP and looking at the list a few pages back there wasn't much competition, most mentioned are underground-ish groups

I think the key word was GROUP and looking at the list a few pages back there wasn't much competition, most mentioned are underground-ish groups
As far as guess go, I agree. There are only 2 or 3 viable options at this point I was referring someone stating that Nappy Roots was the best selling rap act of 2002. I was aware they were popular and had assumed an act like Nelly would have outsold them is all.

I saw them in a tiny bar in Orlando in 2011 and it was such an amazing live show! They got jams on the next album too (Roun' The Globe on Wooden Leather) and there was a radio hit on Humdinger iirc

Edit: Yes 'Good Day' off Humdinger made waves too!!

I liked 'em and I'm shocked they sold that much. I don't remember them being all that popular. Also, FWIW that version of Awwnah I posted is garbage compared to the original.

Back