Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Perfume Genius is missing from 2014. It was my 1st month. I think several old timers on here joined during that month also.

I joined myself for April 2015 as an experiment, without knowing what the AOTM was but was interested in seeing how the experiment would turn out. [Turns out it was Menomena.]
I thought I was an old-timer... I tip my had to you.

As a side note, VMP has completely ignored my favorite era - the late 70s and 80s. Ok, there was Queen Latifa in RHH. Every other decade has had a ton of love.

But there are so many gems that haven't been reissued from the 80s. The last three Talking Heads (or a complete Stop Making Sense), the first album by The Go-Gos or the two Fine Young Cannibals LPs come to mind. Chris Isaak's 80s records.

Sometimes I wonder if a "sophomore slump" is common for members, but I feel like that's when things went up and down for me. I think 2017 was a great year for VMP, but I think it's also when they really went all in with become a business vs being a "club."

I attribute that to the smashing success of Demon Days. That record was the beautiful cash cow that tainted the water. It actualized a major accomplishment for the club, but showed the true business potential. And I think VMP has been entirely too focused on profit margins since then.

I attribute that to the smashing success of Demon Days. That record was the beautiful cash cow that tainted the water. It actualized a major accomplishment for the club, but showed the true business potential. And I think VMP has been entirely too focused on profit margins since then.
Definitely feel that was the case. I think Demon Days was what VMP had been building up to, for good or for bad.

As a side note, VMP has completely ignored my favorite era - the late 70s and 80s. Ok, there was Queen Latifa in RHH. Every other decade has had a ton of love.

But there are so many gems that haven't been reissued from the 80s. The last three Talking Heads (or a complete Stop Making Sense), the first album by The Go-Gos or the two Fine Young Cannibals LPs come to mind. Chris Isaak's 80s records.

Agree -lots of 70’s and 80’s artists neglected on VMP... imagine some of these being done..a nice curated title

Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan , David Crosby , some funk.. James Brown , Stevie Wonder..then a bit of early Prince..some punk..post punk ..new wave ....synth pop . 80’s indie ...goth ... heck of a lot out there ....

I finally got around to spinning SK. I'm about half way through side B. I will say side B has been much more enjoyable than side A, but overall I'm enjoying it about as much as I expected. It's good... if you already like the genre of music. Lucky for me I do. It won't be a regular play for me, but I see it getting plenty of spins.

But if I'm listening from a critical standpoint, honestly it's nothing special. Luckily my vinyl is dead flat and it's really well recorded. The jacket also feels a little more premium in the hand than some other releases which is nice. This album feels very much like the work of technically skilled but uninspired artists. It's good, and there is nothing technically wrong with it. But it's not particularly unique, and doesn't really stir any emotions for me. Pleasant is a good word. Like I said, I dig it. But I do dig this style overall. I'm sure certain tracks will grow on me more and more over time, but if I was a reviewer of sorts, I would give this album a strong "meh" or "sure".

Last edited:
At the risk of an RSR, has anybody guessed the next ROTM?

Back