Vinyl Me Please Essentials

guess_me_please_2023_Q3_hint3.jpg

Not super excited for anything really. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Sly’s Riot. I already have the 45 rpm release and it’s the best I’ve ever heard it though it kind of kills the flow of the album. My wife likes Santigold so probably grab that. Bone Thugs should have been in the hip hop track.

Not super excited for anything really. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Sly’s Riot. I already have the 45 rpm release and it’s the best I’ve ever heard it though it kind of kills the flow of the album. My wife likes Santigold so probably grab that. Bone Thugs should have been in the hip hop track.
There's a Riot Goin' On, the ominously funky masterpiece from Sly & The Family Stone, is the VMP Essentials Record of the Month for July 2023. It's here on 180g "Luv 'N Haight" colored vinyl with AAA lacquers cut from tapes by Ryan Smith of Sterling Sound.

There's a Riot Goin' On, the ominously funky masterpiece from Sly & The Family Stone, is the VMP Essentials Record of the Month for July 2023. It's here on 180g "Luv 'N Haight" colored vinyl with AAA lacquers cut from tapes by Ryan Smith of Sterling Sound.
Looks nice and I'm excited to hear that it's AAA. It's not a favorite of mine, but one I've almost grabbed on vinyl a few times so I'm happy to add it.

i've got the ORG but like @mitchwagz i don't love that it's a 45. so i'll pick up the VMP.
Same. It is one of my favorite albums. I’ve had OGs, the Sundazed that I have since sold and have kept the ORG in my collection for a long time. Hoping the VMP version is better than the Kevin Gray Sundazed which I didn’t really like for some reason, can’t really remember why. Bob Ludwig cut the original but it’s hard to find a NM one. Honestly, it’s such a murky and dense record that it’s going to be hard to make it sound amazing. Just give me a clean pressing with fat fat bass and I’ll be happy.

Same. It is one of my favorite albums. I’ve had OGs, the Sundazed that I have since sold and have kept the ORG in my collection for a long time. Hoping the VMP version is better than the Kevin Gray Sundazed which I didn’t really like for some reason, can’t really remember why. Bob Ludwig cut the original but it’s hard to find a NM one. Honestly, it’s such a murky and dense record that it’s going to be hard to make it sound amazing. Just give me a clean pressing with fat fat bass and I’ll be happy.
yea it's not really an album that has ever sounded AMAZING in the sense of what people look for in audiophile records nowadays. but i'd really just like a clean 33 copy since I rarely pull out the ORG to spin.

i don't believe the 2018 is AAA. doesn't seem to have great reviews either.

edit: i lied--the 2018 has better reviews than the earlier KG cut he did for sundazed.
There seems to be a bit of mystery about the 2 KG cuts. Some say the 2018 is a repress of 2007 and others say it is a new version.

I have the 2007 version it was miles better than the version that came in the Original Classics Box.

Like others said, this ain’t an audiophile album.

im down for sly if just because my OG copy is a very noisy and scratched up copy.. i was thinking of PIFing it but I think its not good enough quality for a pif

Back