Vinyl Me Please Essentials

And he's very "disgusted" that vmp would do Kacey two months in a row and just would not shut up about it for hours
This is common complaint and I don’t get it. If it had been the same track, maybe. I personally would have done it the reverse way. Pagent or Golden Hour is more likely to appeal to the essentials audience.

I'm trying to think on why I hate Sublime so much. I had the album at one point, and listened to it regularly. Could it be my brother in law that played it non stop, including one long road trip?

No.

I think it's that I feel like the music is for a specific time period - pre-college/college era, smoking and drinking with your bros, and it's pretty much associated with that time and feeling forever. It doesn't hold that nostalgia that a lot of the 90s music I grew up with had. It's music for a brief period in my life that I've long since left behind and never really look back upon. For me (purely my opinion) it was (somewhat) immature music for an immature time. I put it in the same category as Nu Metal, or Bloodhound Gang. Things I listened to once upon a time, but I left it behind and don't need to revisit it at all.

I get that some people will still go back to the music, and if it's your bag then I'm glad VMP is doing this for y'all.

I'm trying to think on why I hate Sublime so much. I had the album at one point, and listened to it regularly. Could it be my brother in law that played it non stop, including one long road trip?

No.

I think it's that I feel like the music is for a specific time period - pre-college/college era, smoking and drinking with your bros, and it's pretty much associated with that time and feeling forever. It doesn't hold that nostalgia that a lot of the 90s music I grew up with had. It's music for a brief period in my life that I've long since left behind and never really look back upon. For me (purely my opinion) it was (somewhat) immature music for an immature time. I put it in the same category as Nu Metal, or Bloodhound Gang. Things I listened to once upon a time, but I left it behind and don't need to revisit it at all.

I get that some people will still go back to the music, and if it's your bag then I'm glad VMP is doing this for y'all.

In my life it was so brief that I can't even remember.

I love this album, although I hate “Wrong Way” and “Caress Me Down.” Also “The Ballad Of Johnny Butt” and “Seed.” And “Burritos” -oh and “Under My Voodoo” and definitely “Jailhous-“ holy cow I’m just realizing now that this album is absolutely terrible.
I LOVE THIS ALBUM. Actually, can I just have a 7 inch with What I Got and Santeria? Lol

No.

I’ve actually never listened to a Sublime album. Outside of the singles I never checked them out. So I gave the album a proper listen to yesterday in full. It definitely feels like it’s of its time, and I understand the appeal they must have had in the 90s to high school/college kids.

But for 32 year old me just now really delving into them? Eh. I’m gonna pass.

I mean I’d never have heard of them but for that one guy at uni who was obsessed with US ska punk. He was kinda strange. They really were not a thing at all in Britain. Thank fuck. The later wave of Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish probably got more traction to be honest.
Really wish we would have gotten a second wave of ska/2-Tone album (The Specials, The Selecter, Madness, The Beat) rather than third wave.

I’ve actually never listened to a Sublime album. Outside of the singles I never checked them out. So I gave the album a proper listen to yesterday in full. It definitely feels like it’s of its time, and I understand the appeal they must have had in the 90s to high school/college kids.

But for 32 year old me just now really delving into them? Eh. I’m gonna pass.
Oh, for sure that's not going to appeal to you now. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone listens to the album and enjoys it playing it for the first time today.

Looking at the albums from that year I think I see the problem, Grunge was on it's decline, Hip Hop was becoming this juggernaut, and here's this frat-centric ska/punk album trying to fit in. Musical tastes definitely shifted from like 96 to mid 2000s for me and aside from the initial "this song was pretty catchy" it was impossible for a "mid" (IMO) band like that to find a foothold.

Another example I can find from 1996 is "Everything Must Go" by the Manic Street Preachers. I remember buying it and listening to it, but if you asked me to go back now I'd be like "why"? It's not something that stuck with me.

Tbh

Who the feck are Sublime?

I’m 52

Yeah it started off like this and devolved into “how can this band I never heard of until two hours ago be considered ‘Essential’? If I don’t know who they are, then clearly neither does the rest of the planet.”

It really was this:

ezgif-2-a77917e458.jpg

He eventually accepted it but then had a second meltdown over Kacey being featured as ROTM two months in a row.

Yeah it started off like this and devolved into “how can this band I never heard of until two hours ago be considered ‘Essential’? If I don’t know who they are, then clearly neither does the rest of the planet.”

It really was this:

View attachment 168913

He eventually accepted it but then had a second meltdown over Kacey being featured as ROTM two months in a row.
VMP should troll him and do another sublime record next quarter.

It really was this:

View attachment 168913

The second meltdown has happened multiple times over the past few weeks, and he won’t accept that he can skip a month, swap for credit, or pick something else. He also was not pleased with the Sturgill repeat. I find it a little funny that it’s the hill he’s dying on but 🤷🏻‍♂️

They were never big anywhere

Having gone to School on the West Coast of US, I can say that from California to....Kanas City?.....Sublime was VERY big in those areas in the late 90s early 2000s. The S/T was unescapable from 1997 -2000.

They basically presented as the follow through from No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom in 1995 once that record got played out but people were still looking for a Top40 So. Cal. Ska sound.

I don't loathe them the way some do, but I understand why the backlash exists.

Having gone to School on the West Coast of US, I can say that from California to....Kanas City?.....Sublime was VERY big in those areas in the late 90s early 2000s. The S/T was unescapable from 1997 -2000.

They basically presented as the follow through from No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom in 1995 once that record got played out but people were still looking for a Top40 So. Cal. Ska sound.

I don't loathe them the way some do, but I understand why the backlash exists.

Sublime was huge across the country in the mid-late 90s, not just Midwest or West Coast. I went school in Virginia and they were everywhere. Them and 311 (lol)

Back