Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I'm not a huge PJ guy but every single "best of list" I've ever seen has Yield anywhere from #1 to #4 and No Code generally anywhere from #6 to #8. I know I know lists lists lists but public perception at least has Yield pretty firmly ahead of No Code.
What the fuck are these lists where anything other than the first three albums is in the top three spots?

Honestly, the more I think about it, Eels Beautiful Freak really would be a pretty solid pick straddling alt-rock and indie. "Novocaine for the Soul" was a big enough hit that it'd be on radar for most people of the era, even if a lot of them likely never dug into the album proper. Not my favorite Eels record, but a brilliant debut that would probably satisfy lots of subscribers.

Still think No Code is likely, but that also just got re-issued in 2021, with the band doing a fancy pants 25th Anniversary pressing for the Ten Club. I realize that doesn't really matter to VMP these days, but it's worth wondering if PJ would want to go all-in on another re-issue of it so close to that one.

Honestly, the more I think about it, Eels Beautiful Freak really would be a pretty solid pick straddling alt-rock and indie. "Novocaine for the Soul" was a big enough hit that it'd be on radar for most people of the era, even if a lot of them likely never dug into the album proper. Not my favorite Eels record, but a brilliant debut that would probably satisfy lots of subscribers.

Still think No Code is likely, but that also just got re-issued in 2021, with the band doing a fancy pants 25th Anniversary pressing for the Ten Club. I realize that doesn't really matter to VMP these days, but it's worth wondering if PJ would want to go all-in on another re-issue of it so close to that one.

Eels are one of my favorite band so anything Eels would make me sub back.
By the way, I strongly recommend reading Mark Oliver Everett's autobiography Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

Eels are one of my favorite band so anything Eels would make me sub back.
By the way, I strongly recommend reading Mark Oliver Everett's autobiography Things the Grandchildren Should Know.
Big fan myself, and currently do not have a copy of Beautiful Freak, so would be extremely happy if that were the pick. Also have somehow never gotten around to reading that book. Definitely need to remedy that oversight.

Big fan myself, and currently do not have a copy of Beautiful Freak, so would be extremely happy if that were the pick. Also have somehow never gotten around to reading that book. Definitely need to remedy that oversight.

You'll understand the real meaning of emotional roller coaster. His life is a constant up and down of emotions.

Back