Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yes, I think I would go with this one just because it's so highly revered but I am definitely not a free jazz fan.
I'm trying to talk myself into it because I know how influential it is but yeah, not a free jazz fan at all. At this point I think I might skip it and get account credit.

Yeah, I already have the box sets of Springsteen and Dylan, so it's not exactly "lost sounds found", but I'm still impressed with these picks. They've come a long way since Tennis and ole Dead Eyes, Kevin Morby.

I was having a similar thought myself: for a club who started off with mostly indie-type fare to be pressing AAA albums of this calibre from original mono tapes etc is pretty damn impressive.

I have A LOT of VMP records in my collection since joining for Demon Days in Spring of 2017 but over the past year or so I’ve been imposing a strict rule of only taking albums I REALLY LOVE & have been swapping for credit for the eventual Impulse Anthology, but seeing what’s coming in both the Essentials & Classics tracks, I already know that I won’t be saving any credits for this next quarter; if anything, I’m going to be adding a track.

from the Q&A
Is there a ROTM in 2023 Storf that you feel like will really surprise people? Surprising in the sense that people are shocked you guys had the balls to do it! For example, is there a semi controversial ROTM pick or is there a ROTM pick that is very out there? Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann, Death Grips, SOPHIE, Sweet Trip, Shabazz Palaces, Björk & Aphex Twin would be ‘out there’ picks! Any upcoming ROTM’s like that?
I think March Essentials will be a “whoa, they’re going for it” moment, but not in the way you describe. June Classics too.
so expect it to be a ballsy choice or this to bite him in the ass.. its not an intense album though

Yes, I think I would go with this one just because it's so highly revered but I am definitely not a free jazz fan.
I think this is much more palatable in terms of free jazz. It’s definitely more in line with the free jazz I like to listen to. The album is really more based on improvised melodies and solos rather than the atonal noise fest that a lot of free jazz turned into in the years following.

...the atonal noise fest that a lot of free jazz turned into in the years following.

Hey, hey....HEY!!! One man's atonal noise fest is another man's.....well...atonal noise fest.

Is there a good sense of humor among free jazz players? Cause Atonal Noise Fest would actually be a great name for an ACTUAL fest. I'd rock that merch.

Just giving Interpol a first listen and my copy sounds great. The first record is relatively free of GZ f@ckery. A bit of the ole right channel crackle but really on heard with headphones. Hope I have not jinxed it.

Drums are nice and full. Bass is present. Probably been almost 15yrs since I listened to the album.

Just giving Interpol a first listen and my copy sounds great. The first record is relatively free of GZ f@ckery. A bit of the ole right channel crackle but really on heard with headphones. Hope I have not jinxed it.

Drums are nice and full. Bass is present. Probably been almost 15yrs since I listened to the album.
Mine only shipped yesterday, but I’m really excited to get my copy. It’s an album I listened to a TON in high school but haven’t listened to it much in the last ten years.

Glad to hear so many positive reviews of VMP’s pressing.

Mine only shipped yesterday, but I’m really excited to get my copy. It’s an album I listened to a TON in high school but haven’t listened to it much in the last ten years.

Glad to hear so many positive reviews of VMP’s pressing.
It is not a perfect pressing but I also was not shaking my fist in the direction of Denver so I count that as a win

Ngl, I haven't even listened to Ornette yet, I guess I'm going in blind cause I know its one of those formative jazz albums but.... I think I should probably listen to it. Free Jazz has been very hit or miss

I guess it depends on what your definition of "free" is.
Ornette was very big on a concept called "harmelodics," which is to this day not very well understood. My understanding of it is that any chord tone in the progression could automatically become a new key or a pivot point in an improvisation for creating the desired melody.
In fact, I offer this as further food for thought: a while back, there was an article published in some journal that transcribed and analyzed Charlie Haden's bass lines on this exact album in question. What was discovered was that Charlie actually was following a set melodic or cordial structure in his basslines throughout the tunes on the record. In other words, there was a definite form for all of these tunes. The improvised melodies may have gone in and out of different keys that were not specifically dictated by the chord sequence of the songs themselves, but it doesn't sound like non-metered noise, which is what I think a lot of people believe free jazz is.

In the context of this album, the playing is free only in the sense that the soloists are creating their own chord progressions as they are performing.

Is there a ROTM in 2023 Storf that you feel like will really surprise people? Surprising in the sense that people are shocked you guys had the balls to do it! For example, is there a semi controversial ROTM pick or is there a ROTM pick that is very out there? Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann, Death Grips, SOPHIE, Sweet Trip, Shabazz Palaces, Björk & Aphex Twin would be ‘out there’ picks! Any upcoming ROTM’s like that?
I think March Essentials will be a “whoa, they’re going for it” moment, but not in the way you describe. June Classics too.

I dunno but I keep thinking about that march essential.. "wish they are doing it" as in a gutsy choice but it's not an incredibly experimental choice

I have a wild guess of what it could be because of remembering one old very teased ROTM that is certainly more bold than any other they usually do but not one that would be a super major turn off

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

I dunno but I keep thinking about that march essential.. "wish they are doing it" as in a gutsy choice but it's not an incredibly experimental choice

I have a wild guess of what it could be because of remembering one old very teased ROTM that is certainly more bold than any other they usually do but not one that would be a super major turn off

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Mmmmmm I’ve actually been thinking of the March Essentials ROTM too! I feel like it could also be something like either Pixies first two studio albums, or Tool’s first two studio albums! Either way, I’m super excited for the clues for that Essentials month! 🐶👀😄

Tom Wait’s Bone Machine would be a spectacular pick! I do hope it’s that! 🤞🙏🦴

Agreed. The fact that it has never had an official reissue on vinyl is criminal.

If this were an VMP release I think it would bring in a huge number of new subscribers & sell out instantly.
Island did actually officially release Bone Machine on vinyl in ‘92. I had a boot for a while until I was able to upgrade to an OG. The boot was almost unlistenable but the OG is a solid pressing.

Edit: my bad, missed the “reissue” part. i hadn’t yet had my morning coffee when I wrote this. 😂

Last edited:
Back