Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I love this pick. I was beating this drum back on the VMP forum guess thread back in 2018. I think we ended up with Night at the Opera that month.

I just hope this isn't some low effort color variant release using the same metal work that GZ has been using since 2008. Hopes aren't high.

Right, I’d hope for a proper AAA release cut by a top engineer from the master tape, heavy tip-on jacket etc. That’s the standard for dad-rock reissues ~$50, of course VMP makes a lot of compromises for stupid things like remixed art, colored vinyl etc on the Essentials track.

I mean I hate Steely Dan too but Blue Nun is clearly the worse insult…
How dare you imply Blue Nun is not classy
a2aexkz2m1g71.jpg

Jailbreak is a great album and very influential. The two guitar interplay at the end of Impossible Germany by Wilco could be a straight pull from Thin Lizzy and Golden Smog covered The Cowboy Song on their first EP On Golden Smog. Even The Boys are Back in Town isn't straight hard rock. The chords they chose are not your standard rock power chords - they are a much more interesting band than you would get from just listening to classic rock radio.

Last edited:
Crossposted bc Erykah Badu is also Essential
So, I won (somehow) 2nd place in the VMP Erykah Badu concert giveaway. I can't attend (job, airfare, life, etc. getting in the way), but I wanted to make sure someone could use it. From what I can tell, I can change the name and email to redeem the prize for someone else, which would hopefully set you up for the prize. Not looking for anything back, but I wanted to give someone the opportunity to see what would probably be an awesome show. If you can get to Red Rocks on June 7, send me a message. I'll do a random drawing in an hour of people who can go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 12.16.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 12.16.47 PM.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 14
So, I won (somehow) 2nd place in the VMP Erykah Badu concert giveaway. I can't attend (job, airfare, life, etc. getting in the way), but I wanted to make sure someone could use it. From what I can tell, I can change the name and email to redeem the prize for someone else, which would hopefully set you up for the prize. Not looking for anything back, but I wanted to give someone the opportunity to see what would probably be an awesome show. If you can get to Red Rocks on June 7, send me a message. I'll do a random drawing in an hour of people who can go.
Such a generous offer! Hopefully some one takes advantage.

If you dont end up caring for that Black Radio III album lmk, would happily buy it off of you!

Jailbreak is a great album and very influential. The two guitar interplay at the end of Impossible Germany by Wilco could be a straight pull from Thin Lizzy and Golden Smog covered The Cowboy Song on their first EP On Golden Smog. Even The Boys are Back in Town isn't straight hard rock. The chords they chose are not your standard rock power chords - they are a much more interesting band than you would get from just listening to classic rock radio.
Very good pick that a origional (that sounds great) can also be picked up at thrifts, yard sales, bargain bins, for a fiver or less if you dont want to pay for the VMP "treatment"

Last edited:
Such a generous offer! Hopefully some one takes advantage.

If you dont end up caring for that Black Radio III album lmk, would happily buy it off of you!
Unfortunately, I only got the tickets and no records for winning (which was what I was actually hoping for).

No one has shown interest in an hour, so they're still available to a good home.

Very good pick that a origional (that sounds great) can also be picked up at thrifts, yard sales, bargain bins, for a fiver or less if you dont want to pay for the VMP "treatment"

Yeah, I'm hoping this one gets a super nice Ryan Smith all analog remaster, but I'm skeptical since the master tapes are in the UK and who knows what copy masters or whatever may exist in the US.

Back