Vinyl Me Please Essentials

The first record is passable for me, but I gotta give the second record another cleaning and a closer comparison with how it sounds on CD. Method Man (the song) has some consistent popping near the end that I can't remember if it's in the original, and there's some weird popping distortion on Protect Ya Neck I've never experienced before. It'd be amusing if like ATLiens I end up requesting a replacement but not for the reason everyone else is needing one.

Otherwise... this sounds pretty darn nice. Definitely an overall improvement over my 2014 reissue.

I wanted to get my ticket into Customer Service before tomorrow's October ROTM announcement so I just finished going through everything and shot them an email. On the plus side, comparing a digitally-sourced Method Man shows the pops are present so it's normal for that song. And it took multiple cleanings, but the distortion and pops on Protect Ya Neck are now also gone so... I can live with this. The surface noise at the start of Side A is minor and pretty much vanishes once Bring Da Ruckus hits.

Public Enemy, on the other hand... is not so lucky:

My only other major issue was The Hawk Flies High missing its listening notes booklet, so it's kind of strange to think of me asking to replace only one out of four albums in my box as a win.

I wanted to get my ticket into Customer Service before tomorrow's October ROTM announcement so I just finished going through everything and shot them an email. On the plus side, comparing a digitally-sourced Method Man shows the pops are present so it's normal for that song. And it took multiple cleanings, but the distortion and pops on Protect Ya Neck are now also gone so... I can live with this. The surface noise at the start of Side A is minor and pretty much vanishes once Bring Da Ruckus hits.

My only other major issue was The Hawk Flies High missing its listening notes booklet, so it's kind of strange to think of me asking to replace only one out of four albums in my box as a win.

yeah, that's what all 3 of mine sounded like. just got ATLiens replacement today & the cover was janked in transit worse than anything i've received in awhile. haven't tried the LPs yet...

My PE was the same as this. They told me that they did not think it was a pressing-wide problem. BUT! they couldn’t guarantee a replacement would sound better! Gave me credit. Jokers.

My Wu Tang was fine, but had exactly the same issue with PE, so ordered a replacement just for the PE.

I watched a you tube vide recently with stunt rock confusion who owns a small pressing plant & he was saying how they need to visually inspect the stamper every 15 records or so to check fro debris & dirt, if it's not removed it can lead to noise issues. I think with the volumes at GZ this isn't happening & that's why it's consistently inconsistent.

He also said some plants (I'm guessing Optimal, but could also be GZ) have automated putting the record in the sleeve & that's what causes the surface marks, because the record hasn't cooled properly. Also warps & dish warps are a direct result of cooling process, the record needs to cool to room temperature evenly. The hotter the press the less pressure is needed to press the record effectively but the longer the cooling process and if not done correctly leads to warps.

I was refused another replacement of Wu and given credit. Wildly disappointed.

I am really hoping for a black 2xLP of this to be released because the parts that are not defective sound fantastic.

My PE was the same as this. They told me that they did not think it was a pressing-wide problem. BUT! they couldn’t guarantee a replacement would sound better! Gave me credit. Jokers.
Did they not give you a single replacement before giving up and sending you credit??? They just got back to me and are sending me my first PE replacement (along with an entirely new Coleman Hawkins because apparently they can't just send the missing booklet by itself).

I imagine if this PE is also noisy will be where they start to balk at sending me any more copies.

Did they not give you a single replacement before giving up and sending you credit??? They just got back to me and are sending me my first PE replacement (along with an entirely new Coleman Hawkins because apparently they can't just send the missing booklet by itself).

I imagine if this PE is also noisy will be where they start to balk at sending me any more copies.
This was my 2nd copy. 1st had an audible and visible scratch through the first tune, side one. No crackle on that copy annoyingly!

I will be using any credit they give me to continue buying Wu every month until I get a good one. I'll go through 25 if I have to. I'm getting a good copy of this.
Genius :ROFLMAO:

I think this is a new tactic they are taking. They did the same with me and the 2nd in the Jazz Is Dead series. After receiving a second dishwarped replacement they gave me credit and said they wouldn't be replacing it again (they did after I pushed).

Seems like the Usher pressing may actually be the expanded version?

“For the first time ever, the special edition of Usher’s Confessions will be available on vinyl as VMP’s November Essentials ROTM.”

So I'm guessing the 1/2 speed master and 45 RPM are unique to the VMP Grizzly Bear? I really shouldn't but that's an album I've been meaning to get.
sadly it's not AAA despite them recording to tape. i was re-listening to it last night and love the album, but any GZ crackle will kill it for me so i'm skipping out on it for now. i could always try to get it next month if the reviews are okay.

sadly it's not AAA despite them recording to tape. i was re-listening to it last night and love the album, but any GZ crackle will kill it for me so i'm skipping out on it for now. i could always try to get it next month if the reviews are okay.
This is my plan as well. It’s such a beautiful and rich sounding album that any defect will stick out like a sore thumb.

If the previous mid 00’s indie LP’s are of any indication you’ll likely have plenty of opportunity if it turns out to be a fantastic pressing.

Back