Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Anyone who happens to have both the recent Rhino and VMP version of John Prine album care to comment on the differences? I already have the Rhino version, which I like, but am admittedly curious about this pressing. Thanks!

I have both. The VMP version arrived yesterday, I gave it a quick listen & sounds great. A lot of static & a few crackles (GZ), I'll hopefully clean it tonight & dig out the Rhino for a head to head.

First impressions with the RKS version is that it will be a worthwhile purchase

It is definitely different than the Kevin Gray version. Brighter (especially guitar and vocals), more up front and clearer vocals. My copy is perfectly flat and dead quiet. The packaging is 10/10 too. I think the RKS version is actually superior in sound believe it or not. It was dumb they picked this one since you can get the KG AAA version for $22 on amazon....but they did really knock it out of the park. An incredible album with an incredible reissue.

It is definitely different than the Kevin Gray version. Brighter (especially guitar and vocals), more up front and clearer vocals. My copy is perfectly flat and dead quiet. The packaging is 10/10 too. I think the RKS version is actually superior in sound believe it or not. It was dumb they picked this one since you can get the KG AAA version for $22 on amazon....but they did really knock it out of the park. An incredible album with an incredible reissue.

I tried to do a comparison at the weekend but alcohol resulted in me just playing the record through twice. It’s a great album and they are definitely both great pressings. I’m going to have some more fun deciding which is best. I’ve no hesitation in recommending the VMP version

Seems to be a pressing issue. VMP crushing it at their new price point. Two defective batches in 4 essential releases WHEWWWW
What is the other one, Badu? I just received my third badly warped copy. Both discs are a nightmare. It does sound great buuuuuut did anyone get a flat one? Glad to be putting their shitty GZ releases behind me!

What is the other one, Badu? I just received my third badly warped copy. Both discs are a nightmare. It does sound great buuuuuut did anyone get a flat one? Glad to be putting their shitty GZ releases behind me!
They refused to replace my copy while they investigated if it was a widespread issue. Said they’d put me on a list for replacement copies lol

My Prine played really well, a little surface noise in spots but no skips and nothing all that distrlyrics. High quality product with the sleeve and booklet.

But man, they really missed on an appropriate color match by not calling the color peach. It looks more peach than orange to me and would have matched up with one of the more famous lyrics from this album.

Yeah they all got reissued individually last September and are all AAA and in print (including the s/t) by Rhino. Plus the Asylum albums box set came out on RSD Black Friday and I still see those in shops in stock. Those will all have breakout releases too. Check out his other Rhino reissues, Diamonds in the Rough and Sweet Revenge. His live album is really good and just got a reissue too.

Yeah they all got reissued individually last September and are all AAA and in print (including the s/t) by Rhino. Plus the Asylum albums box set came out on RSD Black Friday and I still see those in shops in stock. Those will all have breakout releases too. Check out his other Rhino reissues, Diamonds in the Rough and Sweet Revenge. His live album is really good and just got a reissue too.
Agree with those next but would also recommend Bruised Orange and The Missing Years.

Back