Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Show your work.

Its sourced digitally, I dont know what they could do differently really, unless you just prefer GZ DMM mixing to Sterling. Is that what you mean?
Actually I can’t comment because I only have the standard pressing and MOV pressing. I don’t have the RSD pressing!

But I just assumed the MOV pressing was the best sounding pressing out there so far! It sounds better than the standard pressing and I just assumed the RSD pressing was the same as the standard pressing in sound quality.

The VMP pressing could be the worst sounding pressing for Stankonia, who knows? But from the pressing details - Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, I have a feeling it will be the best sounding pressing so far!

eh i dunno what other reason there is... its expensive to ship record plates to the czech republic so i dunno what reason there would be
I have to assume that it is waaaaaaay cheaper to get a record pressed at GZ than QRP, otherwise they’d press r/hh there too. The number of records required for essentials vs classics is probably a factor also.

Show your work.

Its sourced digitally, I dont know what they could do differently really.
Cutting engineers can cut to lacquer better than DMM. I guess they can cut worse as well, but they definitely can cut better. Not all digitally sourced vinyl is the same. Not to mention mastering choices, but I agree it isn't a given it will be better. Obviously a comparison is the only way to be sure.

I have to assume that it is waaaaaaay cheaper to get a record pressed at GZ than QRP, otherwise they’d press r/hh there too. The number of records required for essentials vs classics is probably a factor also.
I don't know if it is that simple. I think they really might value the color choices over pressing quality, which is not a mark in their favor in my book either. I'm sure the price is a factor though as you point out.

Last edited:
eh i dunno what other reason there is... its expensive to ship record plates to the czech republic so i dunno what reason there would be
QRP is more expensive to do pressings at, and this is a large pressing quantity that maybe it doesn’t suit VMP’s time schedule! It’s mainly the increased price of pressing at QRP!

The John Mayer ROTM sounded superb and the OutKast has the exact same pressing details (Lacquers cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and plated at QRP, pressed at GZ). The John Mayer sounds very dynamic and has a very open and nice soundstage. This makes me confident that the VMP OutKast pressing of Stankonia will be the best sounding pressing yet!

Even @Mather thinks this VMP Stankonia reissue will be the best sounding pressing yet. He cares about sound quality and already owns the MOV pressing too! He probably also noted the Lacquers cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, plated at QRP and pressed at GZ connection and thought “this will sound more dynamic and have a better soundstage presence than the MOV pressing I have”!

QRP is more expensive to do pressings at, and this is a large pressing quantity that maybe it doesn’t suit VMP’s time schedule! It’s mainly the increased price of pressing at QRP!

The John Mayer ROTM sounded superb and the OutKast has the exact same pressing details (Lacquers cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and plated at QRP, pressed at GZ). The John Mayer sounds very dynamic and has a very open and nice soundstage. This makes me confident that the VMP OutKast pressing of Stankonia will be the best sounding pressing yet!

Even @Mather thinks this VMP Stankonia reissue will be the best sounding pressing yet. He cares about sound quality and already owns the MOV pressing too! He probably also noted the Lacquers cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, plated at QRP and pressed at GZ connection and thought “this will sound more dynamic and have a better soundstage presence than the MOV pressing I have”!
@JonnyH - There’s my work! The VMP pressing for Continuum blows the MOV pressing for Stankonia out of the water, and the VMP pressing for Stankonia has the same pressing details as Continuum! 🎯💡

Everyone sign up and grab Stankonia! It looks great and will likely be the best sounding pressing out there! The gatefold also looks really nice and even that art print - the alternative album cover - is a nice touch! This VMP release looks like this will be an A+ reissue of Stankonia! 💎

You can't compare continuum to stankonia. Those are different sources.
We’ll have to patiently wait until the VMP Stankonia are in our hands, and then I guess we can ‘fairly’ compare all the current pressings out there of Stankonia, including the RSD and MOV pressings!

We’ll have to patiently wait until the VMP Stankonia are in our hands, and then I guess we can ‘fairly’ compare all the current pressings out there of Stankonia, including the RSD and MOV pressings!
Do a blind test with your three copies of Stankonia and a friend. Let us know the results, which sounds best.

I sold my standard pressing last week, but will do the blind test with my sister and friend actually with the VMP and MOV pressing! That way it’s unbiased and can get more of a trusted opinion!
@Mather has a better ear though, so his opinion will be better as he also has the MOV pressing and will be getting the VMP pressing!

Back