Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah, I run but I don’t do it with music in my ears because I just like being very aware of my surroundings! I hate when I bike goes past me without knowing and I kinda get a ‘shock/jump scare’. Also, it’s nice to hear your breathing and focus on it! I’m glad I already run without music because it means this part of the detox won’t be as daunting for me!

Yeah, I don't get the whole music for running thing. At least running outdoors Makes it more difficult to maintain a steady tempo, more difficult to hear traffic and be aware of surroundings, harder to maintain steady breathing. All of which are kinda necessary.... Horses for courses I suppose as some would (and could) argue the exact opposite.

If its a long, slow and steady one I may put a podcast or audiobook on. But even that is rare

A mental health plan would be ideal for me but you know what? I’m going to plan a personalised soul-cleansing detox for myself this Sunday.

On Sunday, I’m going to wake up at 7am, and go for a 1 and 30 hour jog with no music in my ear. Just me and my thoughts, and me being uncomfortable. Then I’m going to watch some Sadhgaru (I will plan which videos i need to watch) and will then listen to some records I truly treasure. I’ll only be eating healthy food. Not sure what else I’m going to do on the detox day but it will end with me listening to Peter Brotzmann’s song ‘Machine Gun‘! And from Sunday, I will have a good indication of how to cope with my spending habits from watching different videos, from listening to music, running and just facing my problem!

I’ll delete Amazon too, and will only have VMP as a place I can shop at. I’m going to do 4 full weeks being sober from Amazon! I will set a date (16th October) where I can go back, just for one day to buy the John Coltrane Verve Acoustic Sounds reissues. Then, I’ll have another 4 weeks off and will do the same for the Nina Simone Verve Acoustic Sounds reissues!

Ive got this! From tomorrow, I’m going to sit down and write down how I’m going detox, and save my money! I’m going to sell more records too, and hopefully this leads to me becoming more mature and hence, moving out of home! 😊

I want to do this on my own terms and with my own mental strength because I know I can do it if I really put my mind to it. I’m strong! I’ve got a spending addiction, I know I do, but I want to creatively try and deal with it myself! 💪

Thank you for the advice though and for being caring! Same goes to you @Lord Diaper Baby! Appreciate how caring you are of me! 😘😘

All of that sounds great. Also, call your doctor and book an appointment. Do it now. They're still open for at least the next 9 minutes.. doesn't matter if it's two weeks away, just book the appointment. Then talk to them about what has been happening. At the very least they're going to tell you you're doing a good job and to keep it up. But book that appointment now.

I gotta run with music - I use a nice mix that ebbs and flows on a distance run. When I'm winded on mile xxx, and a pumping song comes on then I use it as a push.

Related note: I hadn't heard about these till recently, but anyone ever tried those cheekbone headphones? They don't go in your ear (so they allow you to hear your surroundings) and rest on your temples and transmit the sound that way.

Whaz a SUT
I assume they mean a step-up transformer. It amplifies the signal.

I don't know enough about the Regia Aria (that's what you have?) but it looks like it's an MM/MC phono. Does it have multiple MC gain settings or a static one? The Art-9 is not the lowest output but at 0.5 you'd just need to make sure the Rega has the proper gain capes; otherwise you could get an SUT; but most likely something billed as an MM/MC phono should be able to handle 0.5. Of course, a strictly MM phono would definitely need a SUT for an MC or quite possibly for a low output MM/MIMC.

SUTs can become a gear vision-quest all their own. I have tried a few but keep coming back to an inline AT-630; it's not magical, but it's quiet and efficient.

I don't know enough about the Regia Aria (that's what you have?) but it looks like it's an MM/MC phono. Does it have multiple MC gain settings or a static one? The Art-9 is not the lowest output but at 0.5 you'd just need to make sure the Rega has the proper gain capes; otherwise you could get an SUT; but most likely something billed as an MM/MC phono should be able to handle 0.5. Of course, a strictly MM phono would definitely need a SUT for an MC or quite possibly for a low output MM/MIMC.
Yeah it's variable up to a certain point. I can't remember what right now since I've had about 7 drinks. I know it can handle about half the Soundsmiths MC lineup, but not the other half...

SUTs can become a gear vision-quest all their own. I have tried a few but keep coming back to an inline AT-630; it's not magical, but it's quiet and efficient.
Do you use it because your phono is only MM or is there some other reason to use it I'm missing? I've never used one - always bought MM/MC phonos and the one I have now can accommodate anything on the market - so I only know what they do rather than any first-hand experience.

Do you use it because your phono is only MM or is there some other reason to use it I'm missing? I've never used one - always bought MM/MC phonos and the one I have now can accommodate anything on the market - so I only know what they do rather than any first-hand experience.

Yeah, I do not have an MC phono pre on my amp.

I gotta run with music - I use a nice mix that ebbs and flows on a distance run. When I'm winded on mile xxx, and a pumping song comes on then I use it as a push.

Related note: I hadn't heard about these till recently, but anyone ever tried those cheekbone headphones? They don't go in your ear (so they allow you to hear your surroundings) and rest on your temples and transmit the sound that way.
There's a good article about those headphones here

I do still think you need rehab for spending. You're using YOLO as an excuse to justify impulsive behaviour and not take responsibility for decisions. You've spent $15,000 on vinyl in under 12 months, that's addict behaviour.

I know they're different situations & I mean this with no judgment whatsoever on either side, but I think it's hilarious we're trying to curtail one's vinyl spending habits one second and then talking about a $1500 phono preamp the next 😂 . Like, collecting records is definitely a rough hobby to have if you have self control issues, and even more so if you dip down into the audiophile well.

I know they're different situations & I mean this with no judgment whatsoever on either side, but I think it's hilarious we're trying to curtail one's vinyl spending habits one second and then talking about a $1500 phono preamp the next 😂 . Like, collecting records is definitely a rough hobby to have if you have self control issues, and even more so if you dip down into the audiophile well.

In essence they’re not the same conversation though because all this is dependent on what one can afford. What we know for certain is that @NathanRicaud can’t as he’s had to plunder his pension pot and be living at home rent free to sustain it. That’s scary behaviour.

What's life if not sprinkled with a smidge of hypocrisy and smothered in the absurd?

Also, I was only talking about a $1500 phonostage. I would never debase myself with such an entry-level product :sneaky: $5K+ phono or GTFO! Plus, we all know stacks of $100's are proven to be the best isolation footers.

In essence they’re not the same conversation though because all this is dependent on what one can afford. What we know for certain is that @NathanRicaud can’t as he’s had to plunder his pension pot and be living at home rent free to sustain it. That’s scary behaviour.
I completely agree, and that's why I mentioned that I know they're different situations. I'm just amused by the irony of having those 2 conversations side-by-side.

What's life if not sprinkled with a smidge of hypocrisy and smothered in the absurd?

Also, I was only talking about a $1500 phonostage. I would never debase myself with such an entry-level product :sneaky: $5K+ phono or GTFO!
Whoa, you'll need to educate me on the difference between a phonostage and a phono preamp. I've been using the same DJ turntable for the last 15 years 😂 Thankfully for me, I never went down that rabbit hole of audiophile components. I completely shut that down when I first started when I saw the $$$ involved.

Whoa, you'll need to educate me on the difference between a phonostage and a phono preamp. I've been using the same DJ turntable for the last 15 years 😂 Thankfully for me, I never went down that rabbit hole of audiophile components. I completely shut that down when I first started when I saw the $$$ involved.

Different names for the same thing!

Back