Vinyl Me Please Essentials

So I just poked my head in to ask about A/B but I guess I have an answer.

My C/D are fine (not perfect, but well, fine) But A/B has 3-4 moments on each side of distortion (coming out as distinct layers of static on the right channel) that isn't great. I've accepted disappointed over the years, but this is my first heavy sound quality miss. I don't have great expectations of essentials (too much package over substance) but this is a shame -- especially when the c/d is such a contrast. I think I'm pretty forgiving, but well, bummer.

Edit: the contrast with the dead silence of the Sonny Rollins is the best simple expression of quality difference between plants I've heard....RTI ought to use it in an ad
Yep unfortunately I suspect this is gunna turn out to be pretty widespread. Just judging by the amount of people I've seen mentioning "small amounts of noise in the quiet parts" or "a few pops"... I'm willing to bet these are all different variations of the same issue, some worse, some better. This is the shit that happens with so many GZ pressings....

Also I think that's QRP not RTI no?

So I just poked my head in to ask about A/B but I guess I have an answer.

My C/D are fine (not perfect, but well, fine) But A/B has 3-4 moments on each side of distortion (coming out as distinct layers of static on the right channel) that isn't great. I've accepted disappointed over the years, but this is my first heavy sound quality miss. I don't have great expectations of essentials (too much package over substance) but this is a shame -- especially when the c/d is such a contrast. I think I'm pretty forgiving, but well, bummer.

Edit: the contrast with the dead silence of the Sonny Rollins is the best simple expression of quality difference between plants I've heard....RTI ought to use it in an ad
I'll tell ya what though, this is a really interesting example of how different types of stylus diamond tips react to bad pressings, and likely why in many cases some people almost never have issues and others are constantly coming across bad pressings. I got home and I swapped my Ortofon Black stylus which is a Shibata diamond, over to a virtually unused Ortofon Bronze which is a Nude Fine Line diamond, and I played the same trouble passages from Spiritualized Side A and B. On the Black the right channel distortion was awful, unlistenable to me, across Track 3 on both sides A and B. So I swapped over to the Bronze and played the same songs. On Side A while the distortion was still present it was MUCH less pronounced, much less severe, and until the last couple minutes of the song it almost was camouflaged by the normal distortion and noise that's present on the song. Once I got to the last couple minutes it became more obvious but prior to that it was nowhere near as severe. And on Side B I couldn't hear it at all upon first listening. So while the pressing is jacked, on some carts and needles it'll sound fine. And on others, it'll sound like garbage. I imagine if I dialed back to something with a Nude Elliptical tip the distortion would fall even further into the background.

And just to be sure I played BVSC and Fishscale and no distortion on either. So it's not an alignment issue...

Last edited:
Whoaaaaa holy hell that third one is insane, it sounds like your amp is melting down. Thankfully mines not that bad, man.... This is why I maintain GZ is the worst pressing plant in the world. There are worse smaller plants but none that put out the volume that they do. They infect the entire vinyl world with their suck. I'd say 50% of the vinyl I get from them is badly screwed up in some way.
Dude the 3rd side isn't bad, @Ethos99 has just got the special edition pressing which has Shabaka showing off his free-jazz chops.

Received my copy of Spiritualized. No warps. No scratches. No seam splits. Feeling lucky. Gonna wash it and cross my fingers for it being pressed on-center and without surface noise.
I cleaned the ever loving hell out of mine and managed to get rid of all but the very worst of the noise, so now other than Side A end of track 3 and Side 2 Track 3 it plays clean. So clean it well.

@Mather

I've got a few pops here and there, but I can't really here the album because my whining kids are banging on pots and pans. Ha ha.
Hahaha well I suspect most of them have pops, the thing to look for from what I've seen is right channel distortion and buzzing at the end of track 3 side 1.

i am pretty sure mather just has a horrible copy...

i mean VMP has a track record of giving him ALL the warps and skips... its either VMP has a vendetta or canadian border patrol are horrible

i am pretty sure mather just has a horrible copy...

i mean VMP has a track record of giving him ALL the warps and skips... its either VMP has a vendetta or canadian border patrol are horrible
He does have a cart/stylus that is notorious for doing the opposite of hiding surface noise. That doesn't mean it should be there, and it certainly isn't his fault, but some people dislike the cart for that reason.

He does have a cart/stylus that is notorious for doing the opposite of hiding surface noise. That doesn't mean it should be there, and it certainly isn't his fault, but some people dislike the cart for that reason.
Completely. I know it's partly the cart. No skips though, ever. I might be happier in some cases but the good pressings are... Incredible. I honestly can't imagine them sounding better. It's worth it for that.

Agree. He'd probably be happier without that Ortofon.
im surprised he hasn't moved to moving coil yet since he is far up in the high level audiophile zone.

it also makes me wonder if me thinking of getting an ortofon blue was a mistake and should stay on grado or nagaoka

Completely. I know it's partly the cart. No skips though, ever. I might be happier in some cases but the good pressings are... Incredible. I honestly can't imagine them sounding better. It's worth it for that.
100% agree with this! And I remember you said your Weyes Blood Titanic Rising pressing sounded decent when you played it on your upgraded system! I am so jealous of your system! It must be top notch! And the fact that you have an audiophile/very strong ear, makes the appreciation stronger! Must be so joyful when you do play a quality pressing that has no issues whatsoever!

I’ve got a question for you now that I’m thinking about it!

The October Essentials ROTM is OutKast’s Stankonia. You have the MOV pressing, which does sound great! If the VMP pressing for Stankonia is done at GZ, will you buy it? If so, why?

Same question for the November Essentials ROTM! The current pressing for Erykah Badu’s Mama’s Gun also sounds great and was cut by Bernie Grundman. If the VMP exclusive for this is done at GZ, will you buy it?

Back