Vinyl Me Please Essentials

If you want a cheap vacuum solution, I've had a KAB EV-1 for 15 years and I've been very happy with it. It's manual though so you gotta turn the record yourself, but it's worked great for me. That Pro-ject looks nice since it dries in only a couple turns. I usually have to run the vac around 30 seconds per side with the KAB to make sure it's completely dry. I can usually clean a record & have it in new inner & outer sleeves in 3 minutes.

I've seen the Spin Clean, and I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must be to dry the records. And re- & cross contamination has to be an issue running it through dirty used solution & towel drying and/or leaving it out to dry.
KAB EV-1 sounds great, but I’m going to fork out the money to buy the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU because I’ve got so many records and it’s something I’d hope to keep for a very long time! I like that it’s automatic vacuuming and is very easy to use.

I really like vinyl and listening to records, and I think getting the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU will make the hobby even more enjoyable as I love when the pressing is quiet! I hate noisy records that have a lot of popping clicks on them!

Vinyl is such a full on hobby if you know what I mean! I was so naive! I didn’t even know you needed an amplifier to play vinyl lol. And I didn’t know warps or any sound issues existed with vinyl. And I had no idea that there was such a thing as better quality pressings - I assumed every vinyl was just a standard vinyl that has better sound than a CD! 😂🥺

Like vinyl is so full on! Like quickly cleaning the needle after every spin, lifting my platter to change the belt to 45RPM and lifting it again to adjust the belt to 33RPM. Inner sleeves, scratches on records. Warps again - as they’re so freaking common. Like vinyl is so much work! 😅🙉

If you want a cheap vacuum solution, I've had a KAB EV-1 for 15 years and I've been very happy with it. It's manual though so you gotta turn the record yourself, but it's worked great for me. That Pro-ject looks nice since it dries in only a couple turns. I usually have to run the vac around 30 seconds per side with the KAB to make sure it's completely dry. I can usually clean a record & have it in new inner & outer sleeves in 3 minutes.

I've seen the Spin Clean, and I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must be to dry the records. And re- & cross contamination has to be an issue running it through dirty used solution & towel drying and/or leaving it out to dry.

The KAB EV-1 is fine. It does a good job.

I had a Spin Clean but didn’t use it as directed. I’d wash in the Spin Clean and vacuum dry with the EV-1. Worked great.

Using as intended? I’m not a fan. As I see it, some crud must stay in the grooves just from the pressure of using the drying cloth. Absorption is worlds away from vacuum.

Plus- batch cleaning is a pain in the ass. With the VPI, I pull whatever off the shelf and in 90 seconds, I have a clean album.

One thing I would say is that if you are considering a record cleaning machine it's worth looking at the other models out there. I hade been watching videos, reviews, etc for the best part of 6-months whilst I was seriously considering getting one (and even longer when it was just an initial idea). In the end, I decided on the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU because there was a 25% off deal that was too good to turn down. It might be that there are other makes/models which are cheaper in Aus. Sure the Pro-ject is good but if you can save a load of money by getting a different one (which is likely to be just as good) then thats a no brainer
Totally agree. If the okki noki, nitty gritty, lala or po been cheaper then that would have been what I got too. The project seems great but at the end of the day it's a box with spinney thing and a vacuum in. I'm guessing it's not till you get to 'silent' vacuums that you start noticing a difference.

Another cheaper (though not cheap) is the Squeaky Clean. You need to supply a shop vac but it works great. All purchases, new and used, get run through it. I can do about 12 records an hour
I actually think the Squeaky Clean is superior to any commercial RCM out there. When combined with a really powerful shop vac, and good fluids, it is amazing. I prefer turning manually. It gives me control and I can see when the record is dry - that takes more turns than most realize.
IMO the main weakness of commercial RCM's in in the vac motor. Undersized and underpowered.
I have cleaned maybe 1200 records at least on mine. No one fluid does every situation, so I have settled on a few - Nitty Gritty Pure, Disc Doctor and my 10 year old stash of Buggtussel Enzyme Gold. BTW I use Mies record cleaning cloths, not some shit from Walmart, as they are truly anti-static which makes a huge difference.

I actually think the Squeaky Clean is superior to any commercial RCM out there. When combined with a really powerful shop vac, and good fluids, it is amazing. I prefer turning manually. It gives me control and I can see when the record is dry - that takes more turns than most realize.
IMO the main weakness of commercial RCM's in in the vac motor. Undersized and underpowered.
I have cleaned maybe 1200 records at least on mine. No one fluid does every situation, so I have settled on a few - Nitty Gritty Pure, Disc Doctor and my 10 year old stash of Buggtussel Enzyme Gold. BTW I use Mies record cleaning cloths, not some shit from Walmart, as they are truly anti-static which makes a huge difference.

I’m not sure why, but KAB who markets a similar device (basically a Nitty Gritty 1.0 sans vacuum) specifically says not to use a shop vac. The Squeaky Clean is basically the same as the KAB but made of pastic.

Buggtussel Enzyme Gold- Agreed. It’s now TTVJ Enzyme. Some of us have had issues though- mold etc. even when stored carefully.

Disc Doctor? I really like their stylus cleaner. Their record cleaner? Maybe to clean my ex mother in law’s records. Fifteen years later, and I still am her very smallest fan ever. Disc Doctor record cleaner is total shit- with an extra helping of shit on top.

I’m checking out an “off the radar” fluid now. Will update when I’m sure. But so far, I’m happy.

BTW I use Mies record cleaning cloths, not some shit from Walmart, as they are truly anti-static which makes a huge difference.
I tried looking for these cleaning cloths but couldn’t find them? Do you have a link to them! I’m super keen to check them out! 😊

I’m team Spin Clean..I save a batch of records up , normally 30 as my drying rack holds 15 and that’s then about the limit of one cap of solution and water ...have a coffee whilst drying in the air for 5 mins then place on the cloths provided and wipe one side then flip over etc , bang them in new sleeves , job done ...I find it a very therapeutic experience..something great about seeing slightly dusty worn vinyl loom brand new ..and it’s worked wonders for me ..

I’m team Spin Clean..I save a batch of records up , normally 30 as my drying rack holds 15 and that’s then about the limit of one cap of solution and water ...have a coffee whilst drying in the air for 5 mins then place on the cloths provided and wipe one side then flip over etc , bang them in new sleeves , job done ...I find it a very therapeutic experience..something great about seeing slightly dusty worn vinyl loom brand new ..and it’s worked wonders for me ..
Amen to all of this! Agree!

Yeah, this is roughly my method, except I wipe them 99% dry immediately after spinning, then set them in the rack to air dry whatever I might have missed.

I’m not sure why, but KAB who markets a similar device (basically a Nitty Gritty 1.0 sans vacuum) specifically says not to use a shop vac. The Squeaky Clean is basically the same as the KAB but made of pastic.

Buggtussel Enzyme Gold- Agreed. It’s now TTVJ Enzyme. Some of us have had issues though- mold etc. even when stored carefully.

Disc Doctor? I really like their stylus cleaner. Their record cleaner? Maybe to clean my ex mother in law’s records. Fifteen years later, and I still am her very smallest fan ever. Disc Doctor record cleaner is total shit- with an extra helping of shit on top.

I’m checking out an “off the radar” fluid now. Will update when I’m sure. But so far, I’m happy.

Tell you something about that Disc Doctor fluid.

it isnt my first go to. Pure2 is.

But if a record is really dirty - I mean deep down, crud lined grooves, there for 30 years - there is nothing like Disc Doctor. Clean the record, really scrub it down with a good brush. Vac and rinse with distilled water, vac it dry. Then play the record, but dont listen to it. Your needle will pick up a ton of crud.

Now clean again with Pure 2. Play it. It will be hugely better.

For those hopelessly dirty records, you may have to repeat several times. Work on it. They will come clean. Any other fluid wont do it.

i have no mold issues with Buggtussel. I whipped up a gallon batch from concentrate about 10 years ago. Was still pure this year, when I used it all during my lockdown cleaning frenzy. I recently whipped up another batch from concentrate that is at least 10 years old. Pure and as good as ever.

I keep mine stored in the basement, in a dark spot. Maybe that is the trick.

I tried looking for these cleaning cloths but couldn’t find them? Do you have a link to them! I’m super keen to check them out! 😊
i got mine from a place in Kingston, they may have some left. Ashford HiFi I think. They will mail to you for pretty cheap.

Spin Clean is just way too fiddle-y for me! I used to spin clean, then use a dry-vac 33, and it’s so time consuming and is so labour intensive! Like it’s not smooth and I hate that the record is touching the platter when I vacuum it! And I’m like uncoordinated when vacuuming it!

I need just a machine because it’s easier and you get better results! I just need to know what brush to use when spreading the solution all over the record!
The thing about a brush is that you want suction. Like the brush is kinda pulling as it spreads the fluid. My favorite brush is the Disc Doctor, but the MOFI works fine and is more easily available.

Best I’ve ever heard Ladies and Gentlemen sound. I’m quite happy blasting this. My copy is quiet for the most part. I do see this was released under executive license to Fat Possum. Do they have rights to this album now? I know his new one was released on Fat Possum in the states. That would be awesome news if they can give this and all of the rest of Spiritualized’s back catalog a wide reissue.
Really can't wait to get mine. It's been sitting in "pre-shipment" since 9/4 according to my tracking info. So who knows when it will actually show up.

Back