Vinyl Me Please Essentials

You're like the fourth person I've seen saying The pressing has noise. I'm so sick of GZ's shit. If VMP expect people to shell out $33 for these albums they have got to change where they get these pressed, it's a joke. My BVSC is riddled with noise as well...
Damn. My copy of Spiritualized doesn't seem to have much noise on it but I don't tend to notice much noise on albums like this that don't have many quiet sections.

You're like the fourth person I've seen saying The pressing has noise. I'm so sick of GZ's shit. If VMP expect people to shell out $33 for these albums they have got to change where they get these pressed, it's a joke. My BVSC is riddled with noise as well...
I am happy to report that my copy was very noisy on the first couple playthroughs, but a very thorough cleaning took care of basically all of it. I was ready to email them demanding another copy as I am very sensitive to noisy records as well.

I am happy to report that my copy was very noisy on the first couple playthroughs, but a very thorough cleaning took care of basically all of it. I was ready to email them demanding another copy as I am very sensitive to noisy records as well.
Oh that's good to hear. I mean it's printed paper sleeves so I guess that's not too surprising. Hopefully the sleeves don't scratch up the records too much. But it HAS to have those sleeves. They're a huge part of the package.

Best I’ve ever heard Ladies and Gentlemen sound. I’m quite happy blasting this. My copy is quiet for the most part. I do see this was released under executive license to Fat Possum. Do they have rights to this album now? I know his new one was released on Fat Possum in the states. That would be awesome news if they can give this and all of the rest of Spiritualized’s back catalog a wide reissue.

Mine was noisy as well on Side 1 of LP2. My clean didn't do as much as I hoped as I can still hear the noise on the quieter parts of the first 2 songs. Just sent them an email since a $40 record shouldn't have these issues 😑

Thankfully my LP1 sounded great though so all I need is a copy that has a good LP2 🤞

That was one of two "free" records I got with my initial gift subscription a few years ago. Don't love the music but it does sound great!

(The other free record was Nils Frahm which ended up being probably my favourite and most played Essentials ever.)

I ordered a copy of that Nils Frahm record off discogs last week. Can't wait to spin it. One of my favorite albums.

Mine was noisy as well on Side 1 of LP2. My clean didn't do as much as I hoped as I can still hear the noise on the quieter parts of the first 2 songs. Just sent them an email since a $40 record shouldn't have these issues 😑

Thankfully my LP1 sounded great though so all I need is a copy that has a good LP2 🤞

My experience is that GZ pressings are very high quality, but the use of printed inner sleeves gives a lot of paper dust in the grooves. I clean manually with Nitty Gritty First RV for new records, which is the best for taking off mold release compound, followed by a vac clean with Nitty Gritty Pure2, which for me outperforms others I have or have tried by a wide margin. I pretty much never need to send a record back due to surface noise.
I always put the record in a rice paper Japanese style sleeve to place it back in that printed paper sleeves. Stays clean and scuff free forever.
My view is that if I am paying top dollar for a record, I'm going to make the effort to make it as perfect as I can and keep it that way.

My experience is that GZ pressings are very high quality, but the use of printed inner sleeves gives a lot of paper dust in the grooves. I clean manually with Nitty Gritty First RV for new records, which is the best for taking off mold release compound, followed by a vac clean with Nitty Gritty Pure2, which for me outperforms others I have or have tried by a wide margin. I pretty much never need to send a record back due to surface noise.
I always put the record in a rice paper Japanese style sleeve to place it back in that printed paper sleeves. Stays clean and scuff free forever.
My view is that if I am paying top dollar for a record, I'm going to make the effort to make it as perfect as I can and keep it that way.
I have an Okki Nokki and I RCM everything and I can safely say that there isn't a pressing plant that has more pressing issues in my collection than GZ. It isn't dirt in the grooves, it's poorly poorly pressed records with no-fill, end of side crackle, warps, you name it. When they get it right, it's great. But in my experience they get it wrong much more than they get it right.

I can literally look at the records and SEE the issues... I have more pictures than I care to think about that have been sent in to VMP and others to prove it. If it was dirt then why are the issues on the same songs, in the same spots across multiple copies, owned by multiple people, being played on multiple systems. It ain't dirt.

Last edited:
I have an Okki Nokki and I RCM everything and I can safely say that there isn't a pressing plant that has more pressing issues in my collection than GZ. It isn't dirt in the grooves, it's poorly poorly pressed records with no-fill, end of side crackle, warps, you name it. When they get it right, it's great. But in my experience they get it wrong much more than they get it right.

I can literally look at the records and SEE the issues... I have more pictures than I care to think about that have been sent in to VMP and others to prove it. If it was dirt then why are the issues on the same songs, in the same spots across multiple copies. It ain't dirt.
This sounds like my experience with the Rick Ross - Teflon Don pressing VMP did. I shit you not I went through 5 copies before I got a copy that wasn’t horrendous. All the copies I received had the same scratching/crackling noises in the exact same areas, and you could even see the marks on the vinyl. Definitely wasn’t noise caused by dirt.

I’m still relatively new to collecting and I’m pretty sure I already know how you’re going to answer this, but are the vacuum cleaners like the Okki Nokki you mentioned really worth it? I finally just started looking into how people “wash” records but I’m still a bit scared to try that. Up until now I’ve just used a carbon fiber brush & a cleaning solution which is good for getting like paper dust off but it doesn’t really deep clean. I’m also still on the younger side so I can’t really afford to drop a ton of money on a vacuum cleaner unless I save up for awhile. I’ve always been fascinated by them though & if they really are worth it...

I know a vacuum cleaner can’t fix no-fill or the crackling from poor pressing, but if it really can get rid of surface noise from embedded dirt, I feel like I’d definitely get my money’s worth out of it

This sounds like my experience with the Rick Ross - Teflon Don pressing VMP did. I shit you not I went through 5 copies before I got a copy that wasn’t horrendous. All the copies I received had the same scratching/crackling noises in the exact same areas, and you could even see the marks on the vinyl. Definitely wasn’t noise caused by dirt.

I’m still relatively new to collecting and I’m pretty sure I already know how you’re going to answer this, but are the vacuum cleaners like the Okki Nokki you mentioned really worth it? I finally just started looking into how people “wash” records but I’m still a bit scared to try that. Up until now I’ve just used a carbon fiber brush & a cleaning solution which is good for getting like paper dust off but it doesn’t really deep clean. I’m also still on the younger side so I can’t really afford to drop a ton of money on a vacuum cleaner unless I save up for awhile. I’ve always been fascinated by them though & if they really are worth it...

I know a vacuum cleaner can’t fix no-fill or the crackling from poor pressing, but if it really can get rid of surface noise from embedded dirt, I feel like I’d definitely get my money’s worth out of it

I have had an Okki Nokki for ~4 years (I believe they have a newer model out). I like it - the price, at least when I bought it (don't know what price point is now), represented good bang for the buck.

I always wash my records before I even play them, so I'm not sure what they sound like from the jump, but I've had instances where passages had surface noise and a second round with more focused cleaning got rid of that noise. But, as you pointed out, there are problems that cannot be washed away.

There are better RCM's out there, but it is always a balance w/ price too.

FWIW, my ON developed a leak in the drain hose in maybe the first few months of owning it. I contacted the U.S. distributor and they paid to have it sent to them for fixing. They ended up sending me a whole new machine - I'm guessing to fix whatever the problem was wasn't worth it for them. Years later and I've never had a repeat problem, and I found the distributor to be extremely helpful and easy to deal with.

There was a thread about RCMs maybe a few months ago with a voting function about different RCMs and quite a bit of discussion. https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/threads/which-rcm-would-you-get.1172/

I think they are totally worth it. I think they're actually a must, no they can't fix a bad pressing but they can get rid of a LOT of pops. Crackle is crackle, right or left channel distortion isn't likely to wash out. But you can most certainly help with the general pops and clicks. Not to mention how it helps with the longevity of your stylus.

Back