Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Glad you got to see her. It was a really fun show at my favorite place in Louisville, Zbar. It is a small venue and frequently I get to chat with the artist afterwards.

Yeah, she kept her all red workout persona like in her videos. I will be curious about if she tours with the new record persona.
Yeah, the place in Indy is called the Hi-Fi. I love seeing bands there. Big Thief was a full house. Pedro The Lion... full house. Nicole Atkins... also a ridiculously small crowd, but she was amazing and I got to chat with her a bit and take goofy selfies with her. But I doubt neither her nor Rose will come back to play the venue again with such a low turnout.

Last edited:
Funny. If they have the rights, I wouldn't put it past VMP to re-press this JLH as a means of appealing to the hordes of customers they have lost.
I’m just waiting for AP to repress it. I passed on the VMP version at the time and just never picked it up. Same for the AP too and now it’s sold out everywhere :rolleyes:

This is actually a pretty great business move by VMP to announce it like this. You can rope people who want Phrenology in right now to a 3 month sub. Then you can fire another bullet next month by announcing April’s ROTM in early February. I would bet April’s is also a bigger/biggish get. But this rollout helps protect Caroline Rose ( a new release, but a pretty low key artist tbh, really loved LONER though, underrated).

I think Phrenology is a much better pick than HIGO and it has some killer tracks, but I still think it's worth highlighting the fact they they've done 2 Roots albums in under 6 months and neither of them are in the top THREE Roots albums. Just weird. Seems like a missed opportunity. At least this one actually needs a reissue.
FWIW Phrenology is in my top three and likely their “most popular” album

FWIW Phrenology is in my top three and likely their “most popular” album
Fair enough. Sorry if I sounded authoritative about the ranking.

I was wondering about the popularity aspect of it. I would have guessed it was Things Fall Apart though. Not sure what the best measure of that would be.

I was wondering about the popularity aspect of it. I would have guessed it was Things Fall Apart though. Not sure what the best measure of that would be.
I would say their “Breakthrough” was Things Fall Apart and “You Got Me” which was “buzzworthy”, it was also easily their most critically acclaimed album but I think they capitalized on the door TFA opened with Phrenology both “The Seed 2.0” and “Break You Off” were decent radio hits.

I would say their “Breakthrough” was Things Fall Apart and “You Got Me” which was “buzzworthy”, it was also easily their most critically acclaimed album but I think they capitalized on the door TFA opened with Phrenology both “The Seed 2.0” and “Break You Off” were decent radio hits.
The Seed 2.0 is a fucking jam, that's for sure.

Illadelph
Do You Want More?!
Rising Down
Game Theory
I think Phrenology may take this spot or it may just because it's the one I don't have
Or Tipping Point if not Phrenology
Things Fall Apart
and the rest is sorta a toss up

Undun is my favorite of theirs. All their other albums have great singles but dont really go further then that.
You know how you can tell when a band has a super solid discography? Literally everyone has a different pick for best album. I've even looked across internet top ten lists for Roots albums and they are all totally different, like not even just a couple albums in different spots, I mean the whole lists are completely opposite from each other. It's very cool to see.

Im a huge Roots fan, they are certainly my favourite hip hop group, and I have been lucky enough to get first presses for almost all of their records over the years. I think this is a PERFECT pick.

Its a great record which includes some of their best or more well known hits, which will entice the casual fan, and is also one of the most expensive/rarest to pick up on the resale market (I believe there has yet to be a vinyl reissue since its 2002 release) which will appeal to the more dedicated fans who haven't had the chance or money to pick it up.

I also like that it appears they have added a bit of flair to the jacket with the addition of the gold foil, it makes it that extra bit special and considered.

Im a huge Roots fan, they are certainly my favourite hip hop group, and I have been lucky enough to get first presses for almost all of their records over the years. I think this is a PERFECT pick.

Its a great record which includes some of their best or more well known hits, which will entice the casual fan, and is also one of the most expensive/rarest to pick up on the resale market (I believe there has yet to be a vinyl reissue since its 2002 release) which will appeal to the more dedicated fans who haven't had the chance or money to pick it up.

I also like that it appears they have added a bit of flair to the jacket with the addition of the gold foil, it makes it that extra bit special and considered.
I think Phrenology is the perfect pick too! 🧠💎

Phrenology has a wonderful balance of hard-hitting beats, sexy and soulful sounds, poetic and abstract kind of melodies and dirty funky rhythms that are super catchy! There’s so much attention to detail musically and lyrically on this record, so it’ll be a record that will get many spins! 🔁

Somehow, Phrenology is contemporary and intellectual, yet is street and urban! It’s a 10/10 release and I think it is going to be a hard Essentials ROTM of 2020 to beat! 🏆

Back