Vinyl Me Please Essentials

So quick question. What's with the change in hype between the last roots album and this one?

tbh i think the fact that shipping costs a lot (legit why does caroline rose cost 28 bucks including shipping) makes me wanna go back to VMP.. is there any other ways of buying the album online besides the official store

(amazon is an evil corporation btw so i dont wanna use that)

So quick question. What's with the change in hype between the last roots album and this one?
This is the Roots record that deserves a special release (IMO it is right behind Things Fall Apart and Right before Illadelph Halflife if I were ranking roots records). MTV (or probably more likely MTV2) had “The Seed 2.0” in heavy rotation for a bit. I would say this is probably the album that non-hip-hop heads are most likely to associate with The Roots.

Side note: I think it would be fucking rad (and thus totally unlikely) if the released Cody ChesnuTT’s The Headphone Masterpiece as a (semi-related) exclusive. That album was a beautiful mess. I love the shit outta that thing!

tbh i think the fact that shipping costs a lot (legit why does caroline rose cost 28 bucks including shipping) makes me wanna go back to VMP.. is there any other ways of buying the album online besides the official store
Amazon. I promise it will come out on basic black wax and available via Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping for like $16.99.

This is the Roots record that deserves a special release (IMO it is right behind Things Fall Apart and Right before Illadelph Halflife if I were ranking roots records). MTV (or probably more likely MTV2) had “The Seed 2.0” in heavy rotation for a bit. I would say this is probably the album that non-hip-hop heads are most likely to associate with The Roots.

Side note: I think it would be fucking rad (and this totally unlikely) if the released Cody ChesnuTT’s The Headphone Masterpiece as a (semi-related) exclusive. That album was a beautiful mess. I love the shit outta that thing!
don't forget this one isn't available on amazon for 13$ in standard black lol

There was only 1 last year so I don't think there is much room for complaint. And based on history this is probably one subscribers would want.
No argument. Both Mitski and Sleater-Kinney were huge disappointments for me so I guess I am bracing for another letdown.

No argument. Both Mitski and Sleater-Kinney were huge disappointments for me so I guess I am bracing for another letdown.
Sleater-Kinney especially was a huge letdown! That album was very ‘meh’ and nothing about that album felt special.

I actually really like the Mitski pick! But I don’t like new release ROTM’s in general......🙅‍♂️

I really like Caroline Rose’s first single - Feel The Way I Want To - for this upcoming record though! I have a really good feeling about this Caroline Rose album!!! The lead single from Caroline Rose’s upcoming album has that funky sensual, retro, warm, early 80’s sound I dig! It reminds of some of the singles from West-End records, like Raw Silk’s “Do It To The Music”. It also reminds me of some of the music from La Roux’s 2014 album - Trouble In Paradise. This lead single also sounds like a Tuxedo song! 👔💃🕺🃏

I’m keen to hear the second single for this upcoming Caroline Rose album 🌹

I literally bought a used Phrenology off of Discogs yesterday :p glad it’s an Essentials pick though. I might have to try to snag one of them second hand or get another when it sees a wider release. It’s possibly my favorite album by them and the one that introduced me to them! It looks like digital sources are used to create the new master. Anyone know if this was digitally recorded all the way? The OG was mastered at Sterling as well, possibly by Ray Janos? I’m not 100% sure.

i was literally just about to post this
duke86fan said: (amazon is an evil corporation btw so i dont wanna use that)

Not to blow you mind but unless you buy your goods and services locally direct from the manufacturer everything you purchase probably is touched by an evil corporation at some point along the line. I get hating the the system as a whole but cherry picking who’s evil and who’s not seems a bit overly idealistic and may set you up to experience some hypocrisy within your belief set. That being said if it helps you sleep at night by all means.

Last edited:
Not to blow you mind but unless you buy your goods and services locally direct from the manufacturer everything you purchase probably is touched by an evil corporation at some point along the line
then how do i be a good person

but being serious yeah i probably will just go the amazon route UNLESS we get no proof of the El-P or roots album being reissued before the final date of announcement (unlikely but possible)

(also i do actually usually plan on buying from the manufacture when i can)

Last edited:
Have we heard about any exclusives to be dropped with Roots or EL P? I've got a bunch of credits I have to get rid of.

Looks like February & March are announced

Phrenology (The Roots) for Feb, new Caroline Rose for March
I liked the last Roots album and the couple tracks I've sampled from this one, so it's fine.
I like Caroline Rose's whole "thing." I think her aesthetic and visuals with her albums are wonderful. But I couldn't get into the music enough to buy the last album. Unless a few singles really sway me I might swap this one. Worst case is I can always swap for it later if it ends up being great.

I predict Caroline Rose goes the way of almost every other VMP new release Essentials and will be $15 on Discogs within 3 months of release. That's not a diss in any way; it will probably be a fantastic album. But she's not what I would consider a household name and people by and large tend to rail against new release Essentials, which I get. I feel like a truly ESSENTIAL album has to stand some sort of test of time. It comes across as bold and maybe a bit arrogant to proclaim something no one has even had a chance to hear yet as "essential."

Back