Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Given what’s been released and that this is Essentials, I’d think the 2009 Indie Album is either Animal Collective’s Merriweather Post Pavilion or Yeah Yeah Yeah’s It’s Blitz. If not those, maybe St. Vincent’s Actor or The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Perhaps the first Girls album as a curveball.
Yeah yeah yeahs was my guess although I think it’s Interscope and their albums may be off the table due to Interscope’s shitty record of the month club

Q4:
Rarest album they ever did, the opposite of electronic music, bit of oral history... the major guess is this
CCR: Willie and the Poor Boys
2009 indie album

also a 2005 indie rock album is coming

Give me Mews ‘No More Stories’ for the 2009 indie pick please. Also some really good choices for 2005 as well

There’s a 2009 US indie record in existence that hasn’t already been a VMP essentials AoTM? Wild!

Given what’s been released and that this is Essentials, I’d think the 2009 Indie Album is either Animal Collective’s Merriweather Post Pavilion or Yeah Yeah Yeah’s It’s Blitz. If not those, maybe St. Vincent’s Actor or The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Perhaps the first Girls album as a curveball.

If they have any cojones, the 2005 will be The Hold Steady/Separation Sunday and 2009 will be Dinosaur Jr./ Farm .

But that's probably too much chaos and big muff fuzz pedal for VMP Essentials.

So my money is on 2005 being Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah/Self-Titled and 2009 Florence + The Machine/Lungs.

If they have any cojones, the 2005 will be The Hold Steady/Separation Sunday and 2009 will be Dinosaur Jr./ Farm .

But that's probably too much chaos and big muff fuzz pedal for VMP Essentials.

So my money is on 2005 being Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah/Self-Titled and 2009 Florence + The Machine/Lungs.
Farm could absolutely use a good pressing and is one of their best albums, so that would be awesome.

tbh now that i think about it it makes sense that the country and rock subs are dying and consolidating into essentials

storf stated in the Q&A he was having trouble managing what ROTM to do in September until he finally decided to repeat the ramones, so I am guessing the curation for rock had been all over the place. and for country we know there has been a lot of repeats (waylon, chalino, alan jackson) so curation for that was also really hard.. best to just have the occasional rock and country pick that is big in essentials instead of trying to appeal to them

is that a good thing.. that's debatable.. does it make sense from a logistics and planning standpoint.. sadly yes

tbh now that i think about it it makes sense that the country and rock subs are dying and consolidating into essentials

storf stated in the Q&A he was having trouble managing what ROTM to do in September until he finally decided to repeat the ramones, so I am guessing the curation for rock had been all over the place. and for country we know there has been a lot of repeats (waylon, chalino, alan jackson) so curation for that was also really hard.. best to just have the occasional rock and country pick that is big in essentials instead of trying to appeal to them

is that a good thing.. that's debatable.. does it make sense from a logistics and planning standpoint.. sadly yes
definitely makes sense; i get the feeling a lot more labels are using vmp as testing grounds and then when they see a money maker, take those for themselves (e.g. chalino)

That sounds more just like he isn't very great at curating things... But we already knew that. It's been said to death but they need some diversity in who is curating the picks. There's so much talk about labels not wanting to license stuff, but there are other reissue labels that seem to have no trouble (take MOV for instance) and there is so so so so so so so much music out there and a ton of it is not getting put out by the major labels. I just don't buy the argument that it's too hard to license things now, especially when that's just us guessing, when instead we have a ton of evidence that they don't know how to run a music business and that makes a lot of sense for the many decisions they make.

definitely makes sense; i get the feeling a lot more labels are using vmp as testing grounds and then when they see a money maker, take those for themselves (e.g. chalino)
It makes sense. How much more can VMP mine in those 2 tracks that hasn't already been previously reissued? Rock is a genre that has been heavily mined for reissues for years; outside of traditional country in the 50s-70s, there's not as many "modern" country titles/artists to reissue from the 80s-00s that are gonna move units at a 45 dollar price point.
At least this way, they spread all genres across classics, hip hop seems successful with a lot to reissue, and the funk, soul, jazz track should be sustainable.
Whether any of it will be worth what they charge remains to be seen.

That sounds more just like he isn't very great at curating things... But we already knew that.
how many times have we joked about that... insert reference to pussy cats, and sam hunt, and teo.

It's been said to death but they need some diversity in who is curating the picks.
THIS.. i did hear pauly actually suggested one of the curated picks in the future but that's all we know of the curation besides "what does storf like"

There's so much talk about labels not wanting to license stuff, but there are other reissue labels that seem to have no trouble (take MOV for instance) and there is so so so so so so so much music out there and a ton of it is not getting put out by the major labels.
I think with the MOV situation the problem is that storf and VMP really want to make this the "definitive artist approved edition", which causes a lot of difficulties if they don't have access to the original artists (frank ocean, fishmans, they're still hoping lauryn hill will say yes).

price is also a major issue because part of it is the fact that these high end reissues cost a lot of money. but TBH, I can go without a super sturdy tip on sleeve and liner notes and art prints or even color vinyl if that means I can get a well mastered copy of something like no hats no hoods

how many times have we joked about that... insert reference to pussy cats, and sam hunt, and teo.

THIS.. i did hear pauly actually suggested one of the curated picks in the future but that's all we know of the curation besides "what does storf like"

I think with the MOV situation the problem is that storf and VMP really want to make this the "definitive artist approved edition", which causes a lot of difficulties if they don't have access to the original artists (frank ocean, fishmans, they're still hoping lauryn hill will say yes).

price is also a major issue because part of it is the fact that these high end reissues cost a lot of money. but TBH, I can go without a super sturdy tip on sleeve and liner notes and art prints or even color vinyl if that means I can get a well mastered copy of something like no hats no hoods
I mean do they though (are they high end, does it cost a lot)? They print the majority of their records at GZ. Daptone and Colemine use tip on jackets regularly and have some of the best prices on the market (granted they’re not licensing but Colemine is using a better press regularly). It cost so much to pay some number of them and the investors more than they are worth and because us yokels keep paying them.

I think they have a few issues that may be intractable at this point.

Licensing seems to be a huge problem and getting worse. It seems like they are getting less and less desirable titles of artists.

I also think that the sales of the add-on tracks were really seeing the effects of licensing as they really seemed to be the definition of hit (Black Sabbath/Cash/Chalino) or miss. Many of the titles being produced were just not worth the premium price. And I imagine they’re staring down the barrel of a lot of overstock (thus the bundles and mystery packs).

The other noteworthy thing was that the D’Angelo exclusive only sold 1,500 on demand. A few years ago, I feel like that would have been a 2,500/5,000 exclusive that would have moved quickly.

I don’t think it is quite a bandbox issue yet, but I’m not optimistic that it will get much better.

Back