Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I thought it was widely acknowledged that the next '98 Essentials was likely to be Lauryn, isn't that confirmed as being imminent?
SIgh.

So I mentioned this in the hell-site, and got told that it ABSOLUTELY wasn't happening for Essentials, that it was likely some store drop.

Don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe someone in the discord crowd can sum up the discussion.

I think the month AND year anniversary matching up only applies to some not all the Essentials in Quarter 1.
I think the February Essential from 1998 is for sure on that "Pitchfork 150 of the 90s" list though.

Which, excluded ones already shot down, narrows it to these:

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Air - Moon Safari
Tortoise - TNT
Boredoms - Super æ
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth
Cat Power - Moon Pix

I think the month AND year anniversary matching up only applies to some not all the Essentials in Quarter 1.
I think the February Essential from 1998 is for sure on that "Pitchfork 150 of the 90s" list though.

Air - Moon Safari
Tortoise - TNT
Boredoms - Super æ
Cat Power - Moon Pix
I would be tempted by most of these. Would love Cat Power because Matador might do a full reissue campaign

Air - Moon Safari
Tortoise - TNT
Boredoms - Super æ
Cat Power - Moon Pix
i think we can safely remove boredoms... if it was the ROTM that question about the experimental ROTM would have definitely been said for february and not "well march will be very 'WOW they're going for it'"

I just can't see them doing Moment of Truth as a choice. It's literally 79 minutes long and track lengths would really push the boundaries of 2LPs. I'd like to see a new cut but they produced that album during the CD Era and used up all a CD could take.

Air - Moon Safari
Tortoise - TNT
Boredoms - Super æ
Cat Power - Moon Pix
Sparlehorse would be strange choice since they have done this in the exclusive box before

Two debut albums. Interesting. 1998 and 2013. 1998 is definitely Lauryn Hill. 2013 could be Lorde, Disclosure, Haim, or Arianna Grande.

Last edited:
Two debut albums. Interesting. 1998 and 2013. 1998 is definitely Lauryn Hill. 2013 could be Lorde, Disclosure, Haim, or Arianna Grande.

I wouldn't discount Pusha T for 2013. It's pretty Essential IMO. Lorde would be my guess out of the others you posted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but '68 could also be Cheap Thrills, right? Despite being readily available in cheapy bins across the land, that seems more on brand than The Zombies (though I's probably prefer Odyssey and Oracle.).

Also, didn't somebody confirm Lauryn Hill was not happening yet? If that's the case, it's gotta be Air Moon Safari. And I'd bet the 2013 pick is Haim. That just feels like a VMP sort of album, though Sky Ferreira admittedly does too.

Can absolutely be Big Brother and the Grateful Dead. Both have precedent too with store exclusives (Pearl and the upcoming In the Dark) as well as the Dead anthology. Anthem wasn’t in that right?
It was not, would be a fantastic choice and could definitely be a sweet looking vinyl if they did the coloring right

It would get a sign up from me, which is dumb because I already have multiple copies 😂
Same! I love the album but it would also be a pretty weird pick for Essentials. I would wager that anyone who likes the Dead already has the album and anyone who doesn’t like the Dead or psych rock will probably hate the album. It’s by far their most experimental studio recording.

Back