Vinyl Me Please Essentials

There absolutely needs to be a Live Through This pressing at some point. It's insane to me that there hasn't been one recently, but somehow Celebrity Skin got one.

If they can get a non trash version of Homogenic I'd be all over that as well.

That said, there's like 75 candidates on that list.
Apparently, I need to save my Hole opinions for the Hot Takes thread.

Seconded for Different Class. How has that not been given any special treatment? I mean besides the colored Plain Records variant 🤣
It's such a great album. I don't know why this hasn't happened. The pressing I own is passable, but leaves so much to be desired.

....version of Heaven or Las Vegas.
You summoned me....oh, wait, Las VEGAS. Nevermind.

Speaking of which....OG 4AD pressings of Cocteau Twins are great. I've got Heaven or Las Vegas, Treasure, Head Over Heels, and Victorialand and they're brilliant. I can't speak to the REs but I've read a lot of negative reviews. Heaven or Las Vegas is the only one I see people gouging prices. Treasure and HoH's can be had for reasonable prices (heck, I just sold an extra copy of HoH's I had - play tested at NM - for $30).

It's such a great album. I don't know why this hasn't happened. The pressing I own is passable, but leaves so much to be desired.

It’s kinda weird that after doing a really nice 25th over 2LPs for His N Hers, which is also an excellent album, that they didn’t do it for Different Class. Unless the 25th being 2020 saw it lost in the Covid mess.

Nah, go ahead.
Since I have the go ahead:
Umm...I'd call them Garbage, but there was another totally meh 90s band that co-opted that moniker.

So, I'll just say VMP doing a Live Through This reissue would be completely ON BRAND for VMP Essentials: passing over a plethora of deserving releases in favor of something...else.

IF they are going to repress Live Through This, the might as well add these to the list:

Collective Soul - Hints Allegations and the rest of that bullshit album
Third-Eye Blind - S/T with the song that Semi-turns me into the dude in Jumper
Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Vomit
Limp Bizkit - Not Even worth a 3 Dollar Bill Y'All
Van Halen - III Singers Too Many
Ace of Base - The Sign that signaled "alternative" music had been co-opted by the money counters
Eric Clapton - Unplugged because we can't stand him plugged in and at full volume
Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You needs to explain why you helped popularize this dreck

In case its not clear - I have unresolved 90s music opinions.

While I'm here, can some one explain how Boards of Canada and Two of Janet Jackson's albums charted higher than NIN - The Downward Spiral on that P4k 90s list?No disrespect to BOC or Ms. Jackson (cause I'm being nasty), but The Downward Spiral at 40 with Live through this at 8? I just cant take a list like that seriously.

Ok - rant over.

Umm...I'd call them Garbage, but there was another totally meh 90s band that co-opted that moniker.

So, I'll just say VMP doing a Live Through This reissue would be completely ON BRAND for VMP Essentials: passing over a plethora of deserving releases in favor of something...else.

IF they are going to repress Live Through This, the might as well add these to the list:

Ace of Base - The Sign that signaled "alternative" music had been co-opted by the money counters
Eric Clapton - Unplugged because we can't stand him plugged in and at full volume
Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You needs to explain why you helped popularize this dreck

While I'm here, can some one explain how Boards of Canada and Two of Janet Jackson's albums charted higher than NIN - The Downward Spiral on that P4k 90s list?No disrespect to BOC or Ms. Jackson (cause I'm being nasty), but The Downward Spiral at 40 with Live through this at 8? I just cant take a list like that seriously.

Ok - rant over.
Don't worry its Pitchfork, so they will revise their revisions again in 6 months.

people are guessing because of the under construction release that miss E is an essentials pick.. which means march is probably one of these 90s album and its not anything actually wild

Ok - rant over.
I did ask for it I guess.

I do agree with the placement of Downward Spiral.
Hole was a big part of music in grade 7/8, so Live Through This will always have a place in my heart.

What I will not accept is Third Eye Blind S/T slander. The rest is fair game.

There's also a short doc on why Ace of Base was so popular at the time. It's pretty much science driven to be as ear wormy as possible with as little thought to lyrics as humanly possible.

I did ask for it I guess.

I do agree with the placement of Downward Spiral.
Hole was a big part of music in grade 7/8, so Live Through This will always have a place in my heart.

What I will not accept is Third Eye Blind S/T slander. The rest is fair game.

There's also a short doc on why Ace of Base was so popular at the time. It's pretty much science driven to be as ear wormy as possible with as little thought to lyrics as humanly possible.

More evidence that scientists are evil bastards…

people are guessing because of the under construction release that miss E is an essentials pick.. which means march is probably one of these 90s album and its not anything actually wild
It would be a very VMP choice to go with Miss E as an essentials pick instead of Under Construction. But either way Under Construction exclusive? YOINK! Tina'd.

Last edited:
More evidence the Swedes are evil bastards…
FTFY. Pretty much the gist of the documentary. The Swedes had some evil hit factory going on in the 90s and even North American artists (I think it was either Backstreet Boys or N'Sync) went there for their hits.

It’s kinda weird that after doing a really nice 25th over 2LPs for His N Hers, which is also an excellent album, that they didn’t do it for Different Class. Unless the 25th being 2020 saw it lost in the Covid mess.
Or even a nice MOV repress like they did for His N Hers and This Is Hardcore

Back