Vinyl Me Please Essentials

yeah the book is about NYC based bands.
It’s an oral history so they interviewed plenty of artists that were not NYC based and there is an index in the back that lists all the artists/bands featured and discussed. And it does veer or a bit (They spend a bit of time on The White Stripes, The Killers, The Hives, The Vines, and The Kings Of Leon if I recall) but they aren’t the main focus. The main focus is on The Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD/DFA, then slightly less on TV On The Radio and Vampire Weekend.
View attachment 140340
Yeah, I haven't actually read the book but I am familiar with it. Mostly just frustrated with how VMP treats literally any band mentioned in it as the end all be all of early 2000s rock. And to be clear, I really like a lot of those NY bands too ... but there's so much more from that era worthy of the Essentials treatment. These just seem very, very easy picks.

Looking specifically at 2005, man there are so many Indie albums I would absolutely love over LCD Soundsystem.
It's a shame that the clue pretty much kills any of them.
I still don’t think it is LCD. DFA hasn’t released any exclusive colored vinyl for any LCD release that I can recall, (maybe James Murphy is anti colored wax?) I know VMP used to occasionally release VMP essentials in black wax but they haven’t done so in years. Also DFA seems to pride themselves on their vinyl releases. I don’t think there is much room for improvement sonically.

Yeah, I haven't actually read the book but I am familiar with it. Mostly just frustrated with how VMP treats literally any band mentioned in it as the end all be all of early 2000s rock. And to be clear, I really like a lot of those NY bands too ... but there's so much more from that era worthy of the Essentials treatment. These just seem very, very easy picks.
The two mentioned picks are pretty much "A beginner's guide to 2000 NY indie rock". Very safe.

I still don’t think it is LCD. DFA hasn’t released any exclusive colored vinyl for any LCD release that I can recall, (maybe James Murphy is anti colored wax?) I know VMP used to occasionally release VMP essentials in black wax but they haven’t done so in years. Also DFA seems to pride themselves on their vinyl releases. I don’t think there is much room for improvement sonically.
Perhaps, but then what are we looking at? Franz Ferdinand, Bright Eyes, and the very VMP being loose with the clues choice of BSS You Forgot it In People?

Looking specifically at 2005, man there are so many Indie albums I would absolutely love over LCD Soundsystem.
It's a shame that the clue pretty much kills any of them.

EDIT: I mean look at this shit! 2005 indie rock albums - Google Search

Man I’d love a copy of the invisible invasion on vinyl, that album on vinyl is like gold dust.

The current pressing is nothing special so I could stand for a quality remaster but they did already choose Boxer a ROTM (I know that isn’t a dealbreaker anymore but still).
No, it isn't anything special for sure...but I am also in the mindset now that a VMP improvement also comes with bonus right channel noise.

Those extra tracks on the Rhino are so great though. Wouldn't be surprised if VMP didn't include them.
Yeah, they were why I never jumped on the recent reissues. In my mind they are a part of this album. I am pretty sure the whole album is just essentially a collection of demos John Cale gathered together anyhow.

The current pressing is nothing special so I could stand for a quality remaster but they did already choose Boxer a ROTM (I know that isn’t a dealbreaker anymore but still).
I feel like the band would do it in-house now given the Cherry Tree fanclub. The remasters of the first 2 albums and EP also had CT variants. I doubt they would outsource to VMP for something as big as Alligator.

Back