Vinyl Me Please Essentials

They remind me a lot The Strokes in that way. Two great albums. A third that sorta goes off the rails. And after that they pretty much become irrelevant.

Both had a small late career “revival” so to speak too. But still nothing will match their first two albums.
The amount of songs I could stomach decreased significantly per album.
I think I liked 5 off OLTA.
2 off S/T
1 off El Pintor.

Nothing since.

The only way they are getting me to stick around is if 1976 is either:

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
or
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers S/T

But It wont be.

You should check out the Chris Bellman cut of TPHB s/t that they put out a few years ago. One of the best sounding albums in my collection. Soooo good.

Good chance we're in for Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights and LCD Soundsystem - S/T. But I see that the Walkmen also have a 2002 album.
I own all these already. So I hope this is what they pick. Doubt it’s LCD. I don’t think DFA has ever done any special/colored pressings.

Maybe, I'm basing it off wikipedia and have no knowledge of the material.
BSS is an actual good pick though. If you didn't jump on the TTL exclusives they're pretty hard to find. My local just got a couple of copies in and that's about it.
The book is focused on the Indie Rock scene in NYC at the turn of century, they might have a quote or two from BSS members but they were not a featured group that the book spent much time with since they were based out of Toronto (as I am sure you are well aware).

these are all different kinds of rock btw...

interpol - post punk revival
modern lovers - garage rock (but is that too similar to interpol)
LCD Soundsystem - Dance Punk

The book is focused on the Indie Rock scene in NYC at the turn of century, they might have a quote or two from BSS members but they were not a featured group that the book spent much time with since they were based out of Toronto (as I am sure you are well aware).
I mean....
I knew Kevin Drew, Metric, Stars, Feist, Amy Milan etc all were part of the Toronto/Montreal indie scene, but I didn't know BSS were.

;)

I'm assuming Supergrass did not get a mention in Meet Me in the Bathroom ... which VMP clearly believes is the bible for early 2000s rock. Anyway, somebody needs to reissue Life on Other Planets already. Geez.
yeah the book is about NYC based bands.
It’s an oral history so they interviewed plenty of artists that were not NYC based and there is an index in the back that lists all the artists/bands featured and discussed. And it does veer off a bit (They spend a bit of time on The White Stripes, The Killers, The Hives, The Vines, and The Kings Of Leon if I recall) but they aren’t the main focus. The main focus is on The Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD/DFA, then slightly less on JonathanFire*eater, TV On The Radio, and Vampire Weekend.
6D795A81-EF8B-406B-BC24-88CFFF348B62.jpeg

Last edited:
yeah the book is about NYC based bands.
It’s an oral history so they interviewed plenty of artists that were not NYC based and there is an index in the back that lists all the artists/bands featured and discussed. And it does veer or a bit (They spend a bit of time on The Killers, The Hives, The Vines, and The Kings Of Leon if I recall) but they aren’t the main focus. The main focus is on The Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD/DFA, then slightly less on TV On The Radio and Vampire Weekend.
View attachment 140340
All I have to say is thank Christ no Kings of Leon album fits those years. I don't wish that on anybody.

All I have to say is thank Christ no Kings of Leon album fits those years. I don't wish that on anybody.
You’re missing out, their first two albums are fantastic. Then on their third LP they went from the Southern Strokes to the southern U2 and their sex caught fire and it’s all been down hill since.

Last edited:
They remind me a lot The Strokes in that way. Two great albums. A third that sorta goes off the rails. And after that they pretty much become irrelevant.

Both had a small late career “revival” so to speak too. But still nothing will match their first two albums.
Angels was the last Strokes album I picked up and was surprised how good Side A is…Side B is a bit of a mess but it’s first half is quite good IMO.

Last edited:
You’re missing ou,t their first two albums are fantastic. Then on their third LP they went from the Southern Strokes to the southern U2 and their sex caught fire and it’s all been down hill since.
That first album is still fantastic. I saw them in a small Toronto venue on that debut tour and they were great, aside from having zero personality... but I think they were all pretty young at the time...

Last edited:

Agreed, but then it's difficult to find a band from that list that was doing anything interesting/unique and worthy of a feature column much less a book or this much attention from VMP & their 00's indie rock fetish (and I love indie rock!).

I know, I know, they were all in NEW YORK CITY so the (self-)importance is already implied and enough justification for breathless coverage of yet another generic garage rock band.

modern lovers
LCD Soundsystem
I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagara record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

I’m losing my edge.

I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagara record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

I’m losing my edge.
Nice find. Modern Lovers confirmed.

Back