Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Cool! I had never seen one of those!

I know, I'll be looking for a copy during my next visit to Sao Paulo. I've had pretty good luck at Galeria Nova Barao (and to a lesser extent Galeria do Rock) in recent years, despite the increasingly salty prices.

As for the Jorge Ben record: I finally received my copy earlier this week. It was delivered on a very hot day but fortunately it is perfectly flat. Having grown up in Brazil I know I'm a bit biased (even though I didn't like Brazilian music when I lived there), but this could end up being my favorite ROTM ever. I've been pretty happy with my discrete VMP haul for 2019 so far (Caetano swap, De La Soul, Nat Turner Rebellion, Experience Unlimited, Oneness of Juju swap, and now Jorge Ben). I've learned that less is more when dealing with them.

I know, I'll be looking for a copy during my next visit to Sao Paulo. I've had pretty good luck at Galeria Nova Barao (and to a lesser extent Galeria do Rock) in recent years, despite the increasingly salty prices.

As for the Jorge Ben record: I finally received my copy earlier this week. It was delivered on a very hot day but fortunately it is perfectly flat. Having grown up in Brazil I know I'm a bit biased (even though I didn't like Brazilian music when I lived there), but this could end up being my favorite ROTM ever. I've been pretty happy with my discrete VMP haul for 2019 so far (Caetano swap, De La Soul, Nat Turner Rebellion, Experience Unlimited, Oneness of Juju swap, and now Jorge Ben). I've learned that less is more when dealing with them.
I visited Galeria do Rock late last year, did not like the prices.

Do you have the Africa Brasil 2010 reissue? If so, how does it compare to VMP's pressing?

Do you have the Africa Brasil 2010 reissue? If so, how does it compare to VMP's pressing?

Curious to know this as well. BTW, I'm pretty sure this happened recently or I may just be completely out of it, but the album is now on US streaming platforms. The streaming master sounds pretty identical to the VMP copy. Any EQ differences could easily be the difference in my phono chain vs my DAC. I've come around to the sound, very vocally forward but not bad at all. It's already seen a few spins, and is one of my favorite recent ROTMs.

Curious to know this as well. BTW, I'm pretty sure this happened recently or I may just be completely out of it, but the album is now on US streaming platforms. The streaming master sounds pretty identical to the VMP copy. Any EQ differences could easily be the difference in my phono chain vs my DAC. I've come around to the sound, very vocally forward but not bad at all. It's already seen a few spins, and is one of my favorite recent ROTMs.

Africa Brasil and Tabua de Esmeraldas are my favorites from Jorge Ben.

So are we not excited for sleater-kinney

I see a lot of skepticism.. and not just because it's a vmp ROTM

So are we not excited for sleater-kinney

I see a lot of skepticism.. and not just because it's a vmp ROTM
My loose plan is to wait for an AoTM I’m actually pumped about, re-sub using a free record if you come back link they sent me, and make SK my freebie. If the album drops and I’m thoroughly hooked I may not wait though. I have little doubt that this one will hang around forever in the store as a swap.

Funny enough, this is the only track I can't get the link trick to work with. Either I'm screwing up the title or they did something weird with it. Might come with a 7 inch or something, they usually include that in the link.

I got it to work just now - dropped the "the" from the album title, and put a dash where the apostrophe is (learned the apostrophe trick back when HMBS was the upcoming ROTM, before y'all found out about the link trick :p). So,

should link to the Essentials page!

I got it to work just now - dropped the "the" from the album title, and put a dash where the apostrophe is (learned the apostrophe trick back when HMBS was the upcoming ROTM, before y'all found out about the link trick :p). So,

should link to the Essentials page!
Awesome, thanks! Have you ever noticed that it doesn't matter if you swap out rap/essentials/classics in the url for any of the tracks as long as the last part is right? Weird.

goes to the same place as yours.

Few thoughts on the Jorge Ben compared to the OG Brazil press:

I think the VMP copy is a pretty damn good repress.

I’d say the OG has the instrumental music a bit more present in the mix compared to the VMP which gives it a more full and dynamic sound but I wouldn’t say it’s anything revelatory.

Overall the VMP is just a tad bit quieter whereas the OG fills the room a bit more but i would certainly not say you have to try and track down an OG.

I’d be happy to keep this VMP as my play copy, it sounds good.

Back