Vinyl Me Please Essentials

People on a Reddit "record forum", making fun of someone for using the word "sibilance" because they think it's a made up word, is the most Reddit fucking thing ever. God I hate that stupid site.

reddit is pretty the other side of the coin to SHF, where a thread will be 200 pages of arguing whether the sibilence was intended in the master tapes, several call outs to name your gear in profile beore anyone takes you seriously, an off topic journey into amazon shipping practices and 10 pages of old music heads proudly explaining they stopped listening to new music in 1986, all before being silenced by whatever in the fuck a gort is, and hurt boomer feelings all around

reddit is pretty the other side of the coin to SHF, where a thread will be 200 pages of arguing whether the sibilence was intended in the master tapes, several call outs to name your gear in profile beore anyone takes you seriously, an off topic journey into amazon shipping practices and 10 pages of old music heads proudly explaining they stopped listening to new music in 1986, all before being silenced by whatever in the fuck a gort is, and hurt boomer feelings all around
N&G is the Goldilocks of record collecting forums, most are knowledgeable enough to understand why and how things work but we’re also not elitist asshole gatekeepers about it.

N&G is the Goldilocks of record collecting forums, most are knowledgeable enough to understand why and how things work but we’re also not elitist asshole gatekeepers about it.
I know there’s some tongue-in-cheek in that but, as someone who was not in the original VMP crew, this was a pretty welcoming place from day 1 for me, and I’ve learned _a ton_ here and wouldn’t (and haven’t) hesitate to ask a noob question. I have been pretty musically aware for my whole life, but I’m blown away by how much music I didn’t know (or even know about) that I’ve discovered bc of N&G.

I say that as I just finished playing a Sam Records release (a label I didn’t know but now own several of), and I’m currentliy listening to a Wamono J-Jazz comp (a genre I had no clue about and, again, I now own a bunch of comps and albums and am fascinated by). Those are just two examples.

So, thanks!

N&G is the Goldilocks of record collecting forums
Great, now we have to add bears to the list of stuff to watch out for.

Seriously though, this is a great place for all interests. There's a thread for everyone and if there isn't....you can make one!

Being here has certainly increased my knowledge, records, musical interests, and proximity to being murdered in my sleep by my fiancee as she finds yet more record mailers in the recycling bin.

The nice thing here is that I actually see stuff I haven't seen before and I'm interested in, whereas on the Hoffman forum, there is a very narrow focus. Your posts alone have had a huge impact on my Discogs wantlist, whereas that other place often made me wonder why I listened to music at all.
Nice of you to say so, cheers! Honestly, this forum and the old one (the group of people specifically) has been the main influence on my musical tastes for years now.

I have dabbled in the Hoffman forum and in the past I used to go on the Reddit threads quite a bit but I agree, it's a narrow focus. It's the attitudes of the people that put me off the most though. There were a lot more people who believed their opinions or tastes were gospel. In general everyone here seems so much more relaxed and open to new experiences. Its a great place.

Seeing as I most definitely want the Tribe album and Justice, I went ahead and rejoined tonight with Stankonia on a three month sub. Will probably end up adding Pharcyde too. Gotta stay away from the store.

*burns wallet*

I'm pretty out of the loop, but is there a chance it will be sold out before new sign-ups get a chance? Or should it be fine if I sign up at right when it opens up?

I wouldn't think it would sell out right away, it's the essential track which means they press the most copies and they would have to know it's going to be popular and they would want enough for new customers so I don't think you have to worry? I mean Wu Tang was an essential a couple of months ago and didn't sell out in fact I can't remember the last time an essential sold out right away!

After a 4 month break from VMP, I fully relapsed, complete with the swap for credit shell game.

Subbed for a 1 month International track, which was immediately swapped for credit.
Then added on Tribe and Phineous.
And then ordered Mingus plays Mingus.
Once I get the credit put in my account, I plan to order The Meters exclusive and Vertigo OST (I assume those two will last until May 2nd).
...and maybe Spirit in the Night.
...and that Charlie Gabriel album is fun.
(Sweet lord, what have I done?)

After a 4 month break from VMP, I fully relapsed, complete with the swap for credit shell game.

Subbed for a 1 month International track, which was immediately swapped for credit.
Once I get the credit put in my account, I plan to order The Meters exclusive and Vertigo OST (I assume those two will last until May 2nd). ...and maybe Spirit in the Night.

Once I get the credit put in my account, I plan to order The Meters exclusive and Vertigo OST (I assume those two will last until May 2nd).
I don't feel as bad for signing back up to get tribe. Although it got even more expensive than last time, cause all of a sudden we have to pay taxes 😤

Luckily a friend of mine also wanted a copy, so swapped a second track, and the average price per record cane down a bit. Now I just have to withstand the temptation to order anything from the store.

What is the add-sub cost? Is it still $33?

What is the add-sub cost? Is it still $33?

Yes, an add on is still $33. That's the reason I did the Swap for credit thing. There were exclusives I wanted so Adding on and swapping for credit was the better value. (I can hear my step-dad now, "But spending $0 is cheaper than $33 or $52.")

Back