Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I dont know...based on the hints, I'm thinking it's a 3 swap month for me. Phoenix is very meh. Southernplaylisticplaydough is Outkasts worst IMO. I might keep the Tharp, but gospel isnt something I'm going back to very often so I dont know. I only need 3 classics (of those still available) so I might just get those and be done with everything but the classics tracks. Essentials is only exciting every few months and RHH almost never.

So, out of interest, how many people still have some kind of sub? I haven’t cancelled yet, but I’m swithering. Depends on how good the next Classics are for me, I think.

I had re-upped my annual (Essentials) back when it came due back in March to hold onto my $23/month rate...the DLS/HBMS month. I’ve thought about cancelling, but am holding fire for now.

I have a couple of questions: for those who have cancelled, do they refund you the value of your remaining months? What about any credits you have? Do they stay there for you to use up?

I like Phoenix well enough and WAP is their biggest record. I enjoy generic indie rock if its catchy and fun. 1901 and Listomania were "big" for a indie band in 2019 seems like a safe bet to me as a guess (and VMP as a pick). It's something I would be fine swapping out or keeping depending on available swaps. Oukast will be the star of the show for me this month.

Last edited:
I dont know...based on the hints, I'm thinking it's a 3 swap month for me. Phoenix is very meh. Southernplaylisticplaydough is Outkasts worst IMO. I might keep the Tharp, but gospel isnt something I'm going back to very often so I dont know. I only need 3 classics (of those still available) so I might just get those and be done with everything but the classics tracks. Essentials is only exciting every few months and RHH almost never.
To be fair, Southernplaya is looking like it will be the full album for the first time ever on vinyl and the Gospel Train is really more gospel inspired R&B featuring Tharpe’s mean guitar playing. The album slaps. Way more excited for those than Phoenix but I know my wife will want that more than probably any record I’ve bought this year so far haha!

Outkast ATLiens, Sister Rosetta Tharpe Gospel Train, and freaking mystery Indie...

(One of Storf’s last hints on the hip hop thread was to super Mario bros and there’s a SMB sample on ATLiens)

Southernplaylisticplaydough is Outkasts worst IMO

Hot take since Idlewild exists lol. It’s not my favorite either, but I think it’s more consistent than SB/TLB. I hope they actually do something decent with the mastering of it but I doubt they will. The OG LaFace ones are super pricey now, but they’re supposed to sound pretty great. I’d probs hold off on til I hear what’s so special about the VMP compared to the reissues out there. IMO the truncated tracklist of the OG just makes for a tighter album.

Hot take since Idlewild exists lol. It’s not my favorite either, but I think it’s more consistent than SB/TLB. I hope they actually do something decent with the mastering of it but I doubt they will. The OG LaFace ones are super pricey now, but they’re supposed to sound pretty great. I’d probs hold off on til I hear what’s so special about the VMP compared to the reissues out there. IMO the truncated tracklist of the OG just makes for a tighter album.

Ohhh, I forgot idlewild. I dont think I ever even listened to it, though.

Back