Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Damn. Yep. I forgot about that clue.
Even then the clues become a bit wacky.
"Montreal" being a geographical locale could refer to Grimes, Mac Demarco and Patrick Watson depending on how you classify that. All were not born there, and only Patrick Watson is outright described as a Montreal musician.

If it IS somehow Patrick Watson, then the solo clue is technically wrong.

Have a lot of folks been guessing all 12 at once? I'm not really tracking the process beyond the conversation here.
Not all 12 on the forums/reddit. They may take a stab at an individual track or two.

Beyond that who knows what people are actually submitting to VMP.

Yes, it's possible. For the essentials picks alone one has a possibility of three different albums, and the other two. One of the hip hop tracks I know for sure still has two possible guesses (Ice T and DOC)...I think Classics aside from possibly Chic is wide open. Not sure about Country.

Guessing them all correctly in one go is a challenge.

I think Country is probably the easiest of the tracks to figure out (it helps that Lyle Lovett put out a press release saying his album would be a VMP ROTM for March). The biggest question is which of two possible Loretta Lynn albums is February.

Have a lot of folks been guessing all 12 at once? I'm not really tracking the process beyond the conversation here.
For the contest (which I assume is what Storf is referring to) you have to put in all 12 at once. The plus side is you can guess as many times as you want so theoretically you can do multiple submissions where you're only changing out one or two of your guesses.

I think where people are getting hung up the most is January Classics (which I feel could be about a half dozen different things) but also I'm not sure about March Classics (I think it's Lightin' Hopkins but it's possible it might not be the album we think it is), February Essentials, or March Hip-Hop.

I think Country is probably the easiest of the tracks to figure out (it helps that Lyle Lovett put out a press release saying his album would be a VMP ROTM for March). The biggest question is which of two possible Loretta Lynn albums is February.

For the contest (which I assume is what Storf is referring to) you have to put in all 12 at once. The plus side is you can guess as many times as you want so theoretically you can do multiple submissions where you're only changing out one or two of your guesses.

I think where people are getting hung up the most is January Classics (which I feel could be about a half dozen different things) but also I'm not sure about March Classics (I think it's Lightin' Hopkins but it's possible it might not be the album we think it is), February Essentials, or March Hip-Hop.
Ah thanks, didn't realize there was an actual contest at play. Thought it was just an old fashioned guess-a-palooza.

Even then the clues become a bit wacky.
"Montreal" being a geographical locale could refer to Grimes, Mac Demarco and Patrick Watson depending on how you classify that. All were not born there, and only Patrick Watson is outright described as a Montreal musician.

If it IS somehow Patrick Watson, then the solo clue is technically wrong.

most of my locals put Rufus Wainwright under "Indie / Alternative", he's definitely a solo artist and as Montreal as they get. just saying

Definitely...honestly though I'd be shocked if they picked Out of the Game.

doesn't he have a much broader appeal than, say, Patrick Watson? the fact that he's being mentioned here is basically the only reason why I thought of Rufus - I just don't think Patrick is that famous or even known (outside of Canada and some European countries) to be anywhere near the Essentials label

doesn't he have a much broader appeal than, say, Patrick Watson? the fact that he's being mentioned here is basically the only reason why I thought of Rufus - I just don't think Patrick is that famous or even known (outside of Canada and some European countries) to be anywhere near the Essentials label
If spotify stats are to be believed Patrick Watson has about 4x the monthly listeners as Rufus. He's more well known than I think you realize.

If spotify stats are to be believed Patrick Watson has about 4x the monthly listeners as Rufus. He's more well known than I think you realize.
yeah, maybe. it's hard to be objective when you bump into him on a daily basis ) but you're right, naming him a solo act would be strange - Patrick Watson is a band, always has been, it just happens to be named after its singer

yeah, maybe. it's hard to be objective when you bump into him on a daily basis ) but you're right, naming him a solo act would be strange - Patrick Watson is a band, always has been, it just happens to be named after its singer
Yeah, and that's why I've said before if that's what it is and someone misses that ONE pick then go after VMP on it. It's totally a mistake that they would make when making up the clues and it would not surprise me at all if they did. The fact that there are prizes involved should make them really do their research before putting the clues out into the open, but I highly doubt they would.

Looking back at the clues, there is a lot of room for interpretation here that kind of annoys me now that they are offering prize incentives for them.

Saying an act is "associated with" a city is pretty broad. Someone actually guessed Blur for the Icelandic band as Damon Albarn received Icelandic citizenship. Both front runners (and the Patrick Watson guess too) for the solo Montreal pick aren't even born in Montreal, just live there at some point.

Why is "indie rock" in quotes? What does that even mean?

"Depending on how you count" isn't a proper clue.

Iunno, if I'm making a contest I'm going to leave no room for dispute. VMP on the other hand still manages to be vague while raising the stakes.

Looking back at the clues, there is a lot of room for interpretation here that kind of annoys me now that they are offering prize incentives for them.

Saying an act is "associated with" a city is pretty broad. Someone actually guessed Blur for the Icelandic band as Damon Albarn received Icelandic citizenship. Both front runners (and the Patrick Watson guess too) for the solo Montreal pick aren't even born in Montreal, just live there at some point.

Iunno, if I'm making a contest I'm going to leave no room for dispute. VMP on the other hand still manages to be vague while raising the stakes.
So it's DEFINITELY storf then

It's a great way to minimize the chances of someone actually winning. They're not doing any kind of drawing, it's "you gotta get them all right and you have to be the very first person to do so."

It's a great way to minimize the chances of someone actually winning. They're not doing any kind of drawing, it's "you gotta get them all right and you have to be the very first person to do so."
I wonder if they are throwing out entries for writing "Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun" without any of those fancy characters.

Back