Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I’m still with VMP because their prices are really good for international subscribers like myself, and I think they do excellent ROTM’s generally speaking! They are also really generous when it comes to replacements and it’s all hassle-free too!

I think the VMP brand is great too and even though the GZ pressings have been poor lately, VMP still will at least refund or replace!

Once or twice a month as well, there will be a store exclusive I think is magnificent, whether it’s VMP exclusive of Alan Shorter’s Orgasm or Shakira’s ¿Dónde Están Los Ladrones? !!!

I'm honestly (pleasantly) surprised VMP is keeping the grandfathered pricing for those users who have it, though part of me thinks they'll quietly do away with that at some point (like the grandfathered Crate subs).
It's only for the first year, as far as I can tell. I renewed about a month before the price hike last year, so on my first renewal back in June I got the grandfathered pricing for another year. I fully expect it to go up to the new subscription price next year, at which point I'll probably peace out.

Honest question to VMP subscribers, and I really don't mean to offend anybody, but why do you still put up with this shit?

I see posts month after months from members getting absolutely fucked over by vmp, getting the most piss-poor of defects, given the symbolic middle finger from CS, and any number of ways they can be horrible. So why remain a member? I get that they sometimes press special albums (I myself have picked up a couple on the secondhand market), but I don't get why someone would continue to pay them hundreds of dollars a year for this product.

Again, really don't mean to offend, just to gain insight.
Well worth asking.

Personally, there are several reasons. While the pricing has certainly raised compared to when I joined, they still typically tend to be cheaper than what it would cost for me to buy the same record here in the UK with shipping. The last album I bought was Emma Jean Thackray's which was $31 (approx £23) as part of my grandfathered essential, but the standard pressing averages at around £25 plus whatever postage would be (£4?).

Linked with the above, the VMP pressings tend to hold their value much more than the standard pressings, especially as an international. I typically cull my records yearly and while monetary value isn't the reason for purchase, it's always nice to be able to re-sell them for what I paid or more if they no longer appeal to me.

A big benefit in my opinion is CS. I have never had an issue with them when it comes to having replacements sent. Sure, I would prefer not to have issues in the first place but I have been in similar positions with other labels/companies and have had real problems trying to convince them of the issue, gain a refund/replacement, or even get a response.

Classics. This is really the main reason I am still with VMP. They sound fantastic and I really like the selections. I'm usually clued up on all of the jazz titles and really happy when these pop-up. I love the soul/funk/blues picks and they are areas that I am less familiar with. These are the ones that I go in blind and probably act in the way VMP was initially conceived, to educate and broaden musical tastes.

When I do complain about VMP on here it's always knowing that they will fix the problem with a replacement. I have had a bad run of warps lately but have received flat replacements for all. I have not 'quit' being a member since I started but do chuckle when I see people comment with the typical "VMP are so bad, it's crazy that people are still members" but then re-sign up when they release something that they want.

Well worth asking.

Personally, there are several reasons. While the pricing has certainly raised compared to when I joined, they still typically tend to be cheaper than what it would cost for me to buy the same record here in the UK with shipping. The last album I bought was Emma Jean Thackray's which was $31 (approx £23) as part of my grandfathered essential, but the standard pressing averages at around £25 plus whatever postage would be (£4?).

Linked with the above, the VMP pressings tend to hold their value much more than the standard pressings, especially as an international. I typically cull my records yearly and while monetary value isn't the reason for purchase, it's always nice to be able to re-sell them for what I paid or more if they no longer appeal to me.

A big benefit in my opinion is CS. I have never had an issue with them when it comes to having replacements sent. Sure, I would prefer not to have issues in the first place but I have been in similar positions with other labels/companies and have had real problems trying to convince them of the issue, gain a refund/replacement, or even get a response.

Classics. This is really the main reason I am still with VMP. They sound fantastic and I really like the selections. I'm usually clued up on all of the jazz titles and really happy when these pop-up. I love the soul/funk/blues picks and they are areas that I am less familiar with. These are the ones that I go in blind and probably act in the way VMP was initially conceived, to educate and broaden musical tastes.

When I do complain about VMP on here it's always knowing that they will fix the problem with a replacement. I have had a bad run of warps lately but have received flat replacements for all. I have not 'quit' being a member since I started but do chuckle when I see people comment with the typical "VMP are so bad, it's crazy that people are still members" but then re-sign up when they release something that they want.
Yes, I love this answer! This is exactly how I feel! The Classics sub is my favourite sub and I will always be a VMP member because of that sub alone! 👌

I'm honestly (pleasantly) surprised VMP is keeping the grandfathered pricing for those users who have it, though part of me thinks they'll quietly do away with that at some point (like the grandfathered Crate subs).

It's only for the first year, as far as I can tell. I renewed about a month before the price hike last year, so on my first renewal back in June I got the grandfathered pricing for another year. I fully expect it to go up to the new subscription price next year, at which point I'll probably peace out.

Yep, I think they are not giving it anymore. Lasted around June-July? My sub would have renewed in September and I didn't get the grandfathered pricing(even though I did get the message, they told me it was an error).

i have been fairly lucky with my VMP pressings, and i definitely want 2/3 and if i don't like the meters in a month or two i will just swap so its worth it for me.

R&HH was more unsure because only HHNF is one i would immediately go yes to (i tried bobby digital.. i love rza production but rza as a rapper is not the best)

I’m still with VMP because their prices are really good for international subscribers like myself,
You mean people like you who get their subscription for free in exchange for promoting their product? I guess if you're ok with that Faustian bargain...

They are also really generous when it comes to replacements and it’s all hassle-free too!

I suppose they are generous, but that is part of why they increased their subscription cost, to build in the cost of all the replacements they send out.

And it is not hassle-free. Having to ask for a properly made product multiple times is a huge hassle.

As to the original question of why I'm subbed. I came back for some of the Country tracks (Shotgun Willie, Coat of Many Colors) that hadn't had a quality reissue. Alas, I've had to ask for replacements for 4 of the Country titles I've received since they continue to use GZ as their primary pressing plant. As much as I like the curation of the Country track, I can't get any more as long as they continue to be pressed at GZ.

I'll stay for Classics as they are higher quality than the rest of their RotMs and mostly well curated, as long as I can keep rolling over credits and only pay $33/month.

You mean people like you who get their subscription for free in exchange for promoting their product? I guess if you're ok with that Faustian bargain...

I suppose they are generous, but that is part of why they increased their subscription cost, to build in the cost of all the replacements they send out.

And it is not hassle-free. Having to ask for a properly made product multiple times is a huge hassle.

As to the original question of why I'm subbed. I came back for some of the Country tracks (Shotgun Willie, Coat of Many Colors) that hadn't had a quality reissue. Alas, I've had to ask for replacements for 4 of the Country titles I've received since they continue to use GZ as their primary pressing plant. As much as I like the curation of the Country track, I can't get any more as long as they continue to be pressed at GZ.

I'll stay for Classics as they are higher quality than the rest of their RotMs and mostly well curated, as long as I can keep rolling over credits and only pay $33/month.
Omg, I just looked up what ‘Faustian Bargain’ means and I am definitely not doing that! I would never do that in general because I believe I’m a really genuine person and I’m far from a ‘fake it to make it’ kind of person! I don’t promote VMP and if I unintentionally do, then it’s coming out of love, not out of Faustian bargaining! I must admit though I’m a little bit happy that I still look like VMP’s biggest fan! 🙈🌝🌹

Yeah, it is true that it’s a hassle to ask for a replacement multiple times, but it’s great knowing you don’t have to send your item back - all you do is send a video and email! 📧✅

Totally agree and understand that’s a big reason why VMP increased their costs! It really isn’t helping that a lot their ROTM’s are having defects as people expect a quality product for the price they pay!

They aren’t keeping it. They promised to keep it forever. 2 years later they said just kidding, the pricing is going to $400/year, but we’re offering a one time renewal discount at $300/year.

If I recall correctly, my billing history has gone like this: My very first charge from VMP was $275 flat. The next 2 we’re $275 + tax. Then $300+ tax. Next would be $400, probably plus tax. Don’t know because we won’t renew at that price. $30+/record was my break point.

Honest question to VMP subscribers, and I really don't mean to offend anybody, but why do you still put up with this shit?

I see posts month after months from members getting absolutely fucked over by vmp, getting the most piss-poor of defects, given the symbolic middle finger from CS, and any number of ways they can be horrible. So why remain a member? I get that they sometimes press special albums (I myself have picked up a couple on the secondhand market), but I don't get why someone would continue to pay them hundreds of dollars a year for this product.

Again, really don't mean to offend, just to gain insight.

CS has always been easy to deal with and they take care of issues more than a local store would. Classics is awesome. Essentials has had enough stuff that I have still liked it. I like anthologies. So while the defects are annoying and the qc is obviously bad i still get my enjoyment out of what i get. I barely ever buy any store exclusives now though

Well worth asking.

Honestly can’t disagree with any of that. I was all set to resub last month but despite the ease of replacing albums I think I’m a little raw from GD, Herbie boxes and doors, Mars Volta etc. plus of the next three months there was only really one album I was all hey ya for and that was Gram. But if the three month run from jan is cool I’ll probably come back for the year again.

Such is the fickle nature of music lurvers

I’m still with VMP because their prices are really good for international subscribers like myself,

i have to admit for me it´s just too expensive. Even annually that would be 500 US$ a year, so roughly 42$ per album. ( plus probably vat and dhl service fees) , which is simply too much for me. I´d pay these kinds of process for albums i really really want but nor for a 12 month sub. In your case the free main sub leaves you at 33$ per add-on which makes the pricing much more favorable.

Last edited:
Now the die hard vmp stand have decided all the users complaining about pressing problems with Wu, PE, Outkast and Volta are just using inferior systems. Yep, all the users. All crosleys.

The cognitive dissonance is baffling.
I don't know why any of you spend even one second on that Reddit VMP site. It's just godawful.

Now the die hard vmp stand have decided all the users complaining about pressing problems with Wu, PE, Outkast and Volta are just using inferior systems. Yep, all the users. All crosleys.

The cognitive dissonance is baffling.
Yeah just saw that as well and don’t even know what to say on that. Just ridiculous. Someone said that VMP sent them an article about inferior setups so that would be something to see.

Not to defend Reddit, but when I saw that post, my first question would definitely be "what set-up do you have?" because the issues described were about frequent skipping on multiple copies, not the widely-reported surface noise issues.

A couple of weeks ago someone else made a similar thread complaining of skips on a VMP record and then the video showed it being played on a Crosley. It's always a good first question to ask. 🤷‍♂️

Not to defend Reddit, but when I saw that post, my first question would definitely be "what set-up do you have?" because the issues described were about frequent skipping on multiple copies, not the widely-reported surface noise issues.

A couple of weeks ago someone else made a similar thread complaining of skips on a VMP record and then the video showed it being played on a Crosley. It's always a good first question to ask. 🤷‍♂️
I agree on that front, if multiple copies are skipping it's almost certainly the setup. I've had every single issue known to mankind but over 650 albums I've not had a single skipping issue. Not one.

Back