Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I suspect they will decide that because there are a few people who claim to have good copies they will not repress. But simply by the numbers on this forum it seems to average out to about 95% bad pressings. Well above the threshold for a repress, but I think it's highly unlikely they do one.

They’ll spin the usual shit about how such groups are the complainers who are more into the audio end of the hobby and that we are in a minority and that most of their community doesn’t complain. That was always the tactic on their own forum from my memory of these things anyway.

They’ll spin the usual shit about how such groups are the complainers who are more into the audio end of the hobby and that we are in a minority and that most of their community doesn’t complain. That was always the tactic on their own forum from my memory of these things anyway.
It's also a lot about "people's setups", from what I recall in terms of talking points. In this case though I will be shocked if more than one or two people on here who've requested a replacement actually receive a clean one. I think the probability of that is close to zero. Simply judging by the percentages of commenters and cogs reviewers out there...

Last edited:
It's also a lot about "people's setups", from what I recall in terms of talking points. In this case though I will be shocked if more than one or two people on here who've requested a replacement actually receive a clean one. I think the probability of that is close to zero.

Yeah I’m still fearfully waiting my first copy, it always took forever for them to get here, but I’m resigned to the playing the replacement dance at this stage.

First resub since jan 2020 for me and given the huge price now this is underwhelming even by my low level of expectations for VMP!

It's also a lot about "people's setups", from what I recall in terms of talking points. In this case though I will be shocked if more than one or two people on here who've requested a replacement actually receive a clean one. I think the probability of that is close to zero.
They're sending me a replacement. So I'll let everyone know how it sounds. Hopefully not another dud.

1 song into my A disc and it sounded fine. It does have some warpage but so does everything apparently these days. Didn't hear anything that sounded super distorted though so I may have a rare clean copy
Oh you'd know. It's not distortion, it's just straight up right channel loud fuzz and noise.

Nice CONGRATS!

I popped in to see if others were having issues. I'm only on side A, but I had some crackle through the first 2 tracks. Nothing major, what I've come to expect from VMP honestly. But not with their new prices.

Also, I don't know if it's the pressing or the recording, but this album specific version has not reached it's full potential in my opinion. The soundstage is very flat when the layering has so much potential. And boy is it bright. It's been awhile since I've rushed to turn down an album. It could be a bad recording. Not uncommon of the style or the time period.

Now I have to decide if I want to have VMP replace it. My gut tells me that I won't spin it all that much. Mostly just supporting a home town band. But part of me feels like it's my duty to make the company provide an excellent copy based on what they are asking for these albums now.

I also can't help but wonder if the massive price hikes have been largely to offset the number of replacements they need to send out each quarter. It feels like it's still about 1 out of 3 I request a replacement for.

I popped in to see if others were having issues. I'm only on side A, but I had some crackle through the first 2 tracks. Nothing major, what I've come to expect from VMP honestly. But not with their new prices.

Also, I don't know if it's the pressing or the recording, but this album specific version has not reached it's full potential in my opinion. The soundstage is very flat when the layering has so much potential. And boy is it bright. It's been awhile since I've rushed to turn down an album. It could be a bad recording. Not uncommon of the style or the time period.

Now I have to decide if I want to have VMP replace it. My gut tells me that I won't spin it all that much. Mostly just supporting a home town band. But part of me feels like it's my duty to make the company provide an excellent copy based on what they are asking for these albums now.

I also can't help but wonder if the massive price hikes have been largely to offset the number of replacements they need to send out each quarter. It feels like it's still about 1 out of 3 I request a replacement for.
Side C is immediately better. So if this continues, it means VMP *almost* did a good job, lol.

So… with all these replacements flying around, what are y’all doing with your defective Mars Volta LPs?

I’ll happily pay for someone US-based with duplicates to ship me your worst-sounding copy!

My replacement is somewhat better. The start of side A still has some noise, but it’s quieter and fades quicker. Side B is even fainter, but still there. Wondering if a wet cleaning will help it along, but probably won’t be able to do that until the weekend.

So I’m a bit torn on requesting another just yet… need to decide if this is within my tolerance level or not 🤔

My replacement is somewhat better. The start of side A still has some noise, but it’s quieter and fades quicker. Side B is even fainter, but still there. Wondering if a wet cleaning will help it along, but probably won’t be able to do that until the weekend.

So I’m a bit torn on requesting another just yet… need to decide if this is within my tolerance level or not 🤔
If you're questioning it then it sounds like it's not within your tolerances.

But I get ya....they start to make us feel guilty for expecting quality.

Back